News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CB Radio Craze: Prehistoric Road Forum?

Started by Grzrd, September 15, 2010, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

On the GHT "interesting Interstate Drives" thread, someone mentioned the view of the Atlanta skyline from the I-20 hill just west of Six Flags.  That triggered a memory for me that that view was featured in an old Burt Reynolds movie, either "Sharky's Machine" or "Smokey and the Bandit".  I wanted to see how much the Atlanta skyline has changed in the 30 to 35 year interim & made a quick, unsuccessful effort to find a relevant clip.

However, the "Smokey and the Bandit" clips brought back a lot of memories (BTW - don't laugh too hard; Alfred Hitchcock's daughter was quoted as saying that her dad loved the movie and considered it one of his "guilty pleasures").  I was a college student in that era, and consistently made the long drive back and forth from NE Georgia to school in Virginia.  The national speed limit was 55 mph and radar detectors were illegal in Virginia.  I often made the drive during third shift hours: limited radio options and a limited, clunky collection of 8-tracks for music.  My father did not want me to get arrested for speeding and/or illegal radar detector, and he was aware that Citizens Band radios ("CBs") were increasingly used by people to evade the "double nickel" speed limit.  So, when I was a freshman, he gave me a CB.

Here's a well-done CB "tutorial" using "Smokey and the Bandit" clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpyzlHvN1yE
[Roadgeek "on-topic" sidenote- I think I detect some scenes from the then-under-construction GA 400 around today's Exit 13].  In looking at it, I was struck by the use of identity "handles" and how you would throw a question about road (and bear) conditions to the world via radio & then get a response from someone identified only by a "handle".  Even when not actively participating in the chatter, it was still good late-night car entertainment to leave the CB on and "lurk".

Today, with cell phones, onboard GPS, satellite radio, mindboggling musical libraries loaded onto an iPod, etc., the use of a CB radio by a non-trucker seems unnecessary.  However, since this is a group of roadgeeks, I'm just curious if anyone uses "CB chatter" as part of today's long-drive entertainment?

Also, if anyone has good war war stories about memorable "convoys", etc., I would appreciate hearing them.

allniter89

Ah yes, the good ole days of the cb radio. I began driving a 18wheeler in 1989 and the cb was still heavily used by both truckers and four wheelers and even some cops. My regular run was from Mobile, AL to Chicagoland, usually 2 or more drivers would travel together since many of us were going the same way. We had a blast in those days, chattering on the cb, new people would join the conversation and some people would drop off as they reached their destination, then new people would join in, everyone was welcome, even four wheelers. Many many times a woman traveling alone or with small children would convoy with us because they felt (and were) safer, they usually had a cb in the car for safety, this was long before everyone had a cell phone. My usual sleep stop was just north of Louisville, KY, exit 16, Memphis, Indiana, truck stop on the east side of interstate (CountryKitchen??), far far back row, facing the woods  :sombrero:. Often, I would literally be hoarse after talking for 640miles=12hrs from Mobile to Memphis, Indiana and sometimes I was having so much fun I'd not stop there but continue riding the entire 900something miles to Chicagoland nonstop, except for bathroom & fuel. Those were indeed the days, even with the national 55sl, we could average 60+mph cuz there was constant info on where the bears were, you had to be running without a cb or stupid to get caught speeding back then. In my trucking days I had more friends on the road than I did at home, cuz I spent 25days a month on the road, and loved it! Not that we asked for it  ;-) but sometimes the ladies would pass us and  show us a little something something, nothing vulgar just a breast peek, that'll give a driver a second wind!! :-D
But alas, sometime in the late 1990's a few drivers began acting like jerks on the cb, vulgar language, smart ass remarks to a bear request and just general rudeness, so alot of drivers just fended for themselves and rode with the radio off (I did) or squelched to where you only hear people right next to you.Then with the widespread use of Ipods, satellite radio and cell phones alot of drivers do not use cb at all. I could talk on the phone with a friend for hours without interruption whereas on the cb someone would butt into our conversation with a smart remark. I haven't used my cb regularly for many years because of the bs on it. Alot of drivers dont even have a cb in the truck, I used mine in winter weather or to find out why traffic was stopped. During our road trip vacations in the early 90's, I would put the cb in the car to get bear reports and the kids would talk to drivers for fun but now its filled with filthy taking drivers, drivers looking for dope or lot lizards and just general bs! :no: :-(
Another cb story from the "day"... it was a few days before Christmas and most drivers had been running hard (running alot of miles) cuz between New Years Day and March the freight business slows down alot so drivers run their asses off trying to store up for the slow time. Anyway, I loaded in Gary, In going to Mobile,AL to be home for Christmas. I was dead ass tired but determined to be home for the holiday, so I head down I 65south, turn on the fm and hear a winterstorm is going to cross my path somewhere near Nashville, now "Smashville" people cant even drive right on dry roads, let alone snow covered roads, so I needed to get as far south as I could before the winter weather started. I hooked up on the cb with a driver from a neighboring town also going home for holiday, one problem tho, I was fueled up and ready to ride, he had to stop in Nashville and fuel. After careful consideration  :biggrin: I decided I'd wait the 15-20 mins it took him to fuel and ride home together. Big mistake, just as we pulled from the truckstop to continue home it started sleeting then heavy sleet to snow, man it was a mess :banghead:! We got all the way down to Cullman, AL before some dumbass cars wrecked and shut down the highway, now keep in mind that if I wouldnt have waited for him to fuel I likely would have been ahead of this mess, but he was tired, I was tired, both wanting to get home, so there was that camaraderie back then to help out your brother trucker how ever you could, so I stuck with him to keep company to help him get home safely. After a much needed 5 hr nap while they got the wrecked cars out of the way, we continued home to arrive home at 4am Christmas eve, that was the only time I got home that late for Christmas, usually I'd get home the 22nd or so. Many, many other stories but I think it's time to close this novel.  :-D
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Grzrd

Quote from: allniter89 on September 15, 2010, 03:10:31 PM
But alas, sometime in the late 1990's a few drivers began acting like jerks on the cb, vulgar language, smart ass remarks to a bear request and just general rudeness, so alot of drivers just fended for themselves and rode with the radio off (I did)
To extend the analogy between CB-era and today's road forum era, there were no "friendly mods" back in the day to "ban the bullshit".  Many thanks to those who do it here.

Ummmmmm... do any of you "friendly mods" want this fresh, shiny apple in my hand? :happy:

:hmmm: Do I get "extra roadgeek points?"  :sombrero:

IN ALL SINCERITY

Thanks for sharing the post.  Although it was the disco era, and arguably the low point of American civilization, there truly was a greater degree of civility "in the air".  I had many a great conversation with a trucker to keep me awake for those vital, last few miles.  Also, even today, I tend to notice that truckers are usually the first to assist those in need of roadside assistance. :D 

Alex

Myself and three other friends regularly drove around with CB's in 1993 through to 1996. There was a group of locals that we talked with somewhat regularly, and met up with them a few times outside of Dunkin' Donuts or other 24-hour establishments. Ironically one of the guys we met was a cousin of an old friend I remember from years before (small world then).

When we did late night roadtrips after my friend was done his shift we always used CB's. If we saw a bear, we'd mention it, and generally got appreciation or received a report on bear activity further up the road. I remember routinely hearing about the one at milepost 80 of Interstate 95 in Maryland, though many of us knew it was generally a "dummy car", i.e. a parked trooper car in the median to deter speeders. A few other times, one in particular along U.S. 222 northeast of Lancaster, the CB got us out of traffic jams.

There was always a few idiots on the radio, ones with an echo mic or precorded sound (cannot remember what the term was for those) that would get on there just to be irritating. Then off of channel 19 or the regular local channel, there would be the guys with amps trying to shoot skip, getting those transmissions from hundreds of miles away late at night when the clear channel setup kicked in. One friend we had routinely drove around with two giant amps in his Suburban specifically to shoot skip.

Speaking of those with radios above the 4-watt legal limit, which I recall was getting "heat" for your radio, i.e. removing the power governor from within, there was always the elitists CB'ers with the amps, powermics, radios with "sideband", etc. that would slam you for using a weak radio. One term I recall was "mud-duck" or something similar, that they would call you if you were deemed inferior.

I last messed around with a CB in 1999 and there was virtually no one on the radio at all then outside of channel 19. The Cobra29 I was using pretty much died soon thereafter and I haven't used a CB since.

allniter89

Quote from: AARoads on September 17, 2010, 12:05:02 PM
Myself and three other friends regularly drove around with CB's in 1993 through to 1996. There was a group of locals that we talked with somewhat regularly, and met up with them a few times outside of Dunkin' Donuts or other 24-hour establishments. Ironically one of the guys we met was a cousin of an old friend I remember from years before (small world then).

When we did late night roadtrips after my friend was done his shift we always used CB's. If we saw a bear, we'd mention it, and generally got appreciation or received a report on bear activity further up the road. I remember routinely hearing about the one at milepost 80 of Interstate 95 in Maryland, though many of us knew it was generally a "dummy car", i.e. a parked trooper car in the median to deter speeders. A few other times, one in particular along U.S. 222 northeast of Lancaster, the CB got us out of traffic jams.

There was always a few idiots on the radio, ones with an echo mic or precorded sound (cannot remember what the term was for those) that would get on there just to be irritating. Then off of channel 19 or the regular local channel, there would be the guys with amps trying to shoot skip, getting those transmissions from hundreds of miles away late at night when the clear channel setup kicked in. One friend we had routinely drove around with two giant amps in his Suburban specifically to shoot skip.

Speaking of those with radios above the 4-watt legal limit, which I recall was getting "heat" for your radio, i.e. removing the power governor from within, there was always the elitists CB'ers with the amps, powermics, radios with "sideband", etc. that would slam you for using a weak radio. One term I recall was "mud-duck" or something similar, that they would call you if you were deemed inferior.

I last messed around with a CB in 1999 and there was virtually no one on the radio at all then outside of channel 19. The Cobra29 I was using pretty much died soon thereafter and I haven't used a CB since.
The one reasson I put up with the cb crap for so long was because it got me out of MANY MANY traffic jams, rd construction, serious wreck, mudslides etc. If I could find about about the jams I could find away around them, sitting stopped on the highway or moving 2mi a hr drives me KRAZY!!!
Yep, I was called a mud-duck hundreds of times, I didnt care, I took the radio out of the box, hooked power to it, set SWR's and that was it! I did have talkback on the radio but it came with that installed. Never used roger beeps, roger farts, echo, or other noise toys, they're are just annoying!!
In a 18wheeler a cb also came in handy at loading docks, often the shipping/receiving office would communicate over the cb for dock assignment, finished loading, scale weights etc. Many of them will call your cell phone now cuz so many drivers are cb-less.
I always figured when my cb died I'd NOT get another as with most drivers, but my radio outlasted me, I retired its still operational.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

realjd

I have a CB I'll take out for long road trips sometimes. It's mainly useful for finding out the cause/duration of traffic jams. It's a rare occasion where I'll key it up though; usually I'm the CB equivalent of a lurker. If I'm in a convoy of cars, we'll use FRS/GMRS to stay in touch since it's cheaper and the quality is higher.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.