News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Geographic pride

Started by bugo, October 20, 2010, 09:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on October 21, 2010, 09:14:21 PMand I've read them--there is real policy in them

that's good - I hate when I sit down to read a book labeled "policy" and it turns out to include various artificial policy substitutes and Red Dye #6.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yanksfan6129

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 21, 2010, 10:34:49 AM
bear in mind, "black pride" is one of the more contentious beliefs in our society today, and "white pride" one of its greatest taboos.  neither has anything to do with any conscious choice the prideholder has made. 

that should show you just how far "pride" goes in our lives, and how far it should go.

Considering that there was a conspicuous attempt in this country from colonial time through the middle of last century to suppress and even irradicate self worth amongst black folks, you might want to appreciate their attempts at breaking through the oligarchy of privilage.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

Quote from: Adam Smith on October 21, 2010, 11:38:45 PM

Considering that there was a conspicuous attempt in this country from colonial time through the middle of last century to suppress and even irradicate self worth amongst black folks, you might want to appreciate their attempts at breaking through the oligarchy of privilage.

"through the middle of last century" may be shutting the door on it prematurely. But, again, that is not "pride".  It is determination and courage and to be respected greatly - but to claim to be "proud" of something that one has had no influence upon is just abusing a perfectly good Mortal Sin.

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 21, 2010, 11:48:25 PM
Quote from: Adam Smith on October 21, 2010, 11:38:45 PM

"through the middle of last century" may be shutting the door on it prematurely. But, again, that is not "pride".  It is determination and courage and to be respected greatly - but to claim to be "proud" of something that one has had no influence upon is just abusing a perfectly good Mortal Sin.

So you're not proud to be an earthling, then?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Is there really any alternative?

(also Merle Haggard wasn't really proud to be an Okie from Muskogee)

(he was born in Kern County, CA)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Adam Smith on October 21, 2010, 11:58:26 PM

So you're not proud to be an earthling, then?

why should I be?

had I chosen to be an earthling, I may have a different take on the matter.

jake@aaroads.com

huskeroadgeek

I've always been proud to be from Nebraska-or if one doesn't think being "proud" of that is appropriate, I like Nebraska and I like living in Nebraska. I've never understood why some people don't like where they're from. It's understandable if you moved around while you were growing up to like one place over the other, but sometimes I hear people who lived in the same city while they were growing up say that they don't like living there and wish they lived somewhere else. It just seems to me if you've never known any different, you might as well embrace where you're from and enjoy it.

corco

Sometimes it's an exploration thing, particularly if you've lived in a small town your whole life. In a small town you keep running into the same people and life can become sort of monotonous.  A lot of those folks say "I hate my hometown," go live somewhere else for a while, and then come back once they start to miss it.

mightyace

^^^

And, I found that monotony or at least routine to be more appealing as I get older.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

realjd

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 21, 2010, 01:51:13 PM
Bah, the Gulf is just another chunk of ocean.  Freshwater is where it's at!  Plus, no hurricanes.

The Gulf may be just another chunk of ocean, but it's a nice, warm, swimmable ocean! Lake Erie is the only Great Lake that gets even remotely warm enough to go swimming in, and even then its still damn cold. For this same reason Atlantic >>> Pacific, Hawaii excepting of course.

KEK Inc.

I grew up in California and Washington, so I'm a bit spoiled.  I prefer mild dry climates.  (And yes, when it's sunny in Washington, it's usually dry, not humid).  Texas seems like a desert wasteland transitioning to a humid sticky swamp.  I don't think I would enjoy the climate down there, to be honest. 

I don't really know about the people.  I'm fairly moderate (libertarian), considering having lived in liberal areas, but I'm not sure how I'd be in a conservative area.  From what I've heard, Texans are fairly nice. 
Take the road less traveled.

Scott5114

Quote from: corco on October 22, 2010, 10:40:23 AM
Sometimes it's an exploration thing, particularly if you've lived in a small town your whole life. In a small town you keep running into the same people and life can become sort of monotonous.  A lot of those folks say "I hate my hometown," go live somewhere else for a while, and then come back once they start to miss it.

Part of that depends on how pleasant the people there are. Most of the ones in my hometown were not, so I didn't relish running into them daily and do not intend on reliving the experience.

(also having the option of pizza delivery is pretty grand)

jgb191

While I was born in Corpus Christi, I have lived and been all over South Texas, traveled practically every highway down here and so I like to call the whole South Texas region my home, not just one city or town.

I'll tell you one particular reason I am attached to South Texas so much: Our climate.

Our typical winter afternoon ranges anywhere from 66 to 84 degrees, and our summer afternoons range from 95 to 105 degrees.  I don't see any place else in North America with a more desirable climate or weather pattern.

Also, I've never seen or encountered snow in person, and I sure hope it stays that way.  I don't think I'd ever want to have to deal with snow or any kind of frozen precipitation.  It's too cold, it's a hazard, you can't drive on it, it gets in the way, and you have to keep shoveling it out all the time.  That doesn't sound like fun to me.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Scott5114

Never? Not even while visiting someone?

Snow is all right once a year or so. More than that and it gets annoying. (It's kind of fun having that one snow day per year where you can call into work and just relax...)

jgb191

^ I never wanted to leave Texas during the winter months just because I hate dealing with the cold.

corco

That's definitely a geographical thing.

As a counter, I've lived in snow most of my life, with my high school years in a place that got feet of snow every year. I hate not being around snow- and when you live in it you learn to deal with it and it becomes a non-impediment- you learn that things like bad roads don't stop you from getting anywhere, just make sure you have good tires, front or four wheel drive, know what you're doing, and steer clear of the tourists.

You even learn to enjoy shoveling snow! There are few things more relaxing to me than shoveling a driveway or a roof- much the same way somebody down south might feel about mowing their lawn (and much like with lawns, some people go all out and get really, really into snow removal- either getting a giant snowblower or a beater truck with a plow for their fifty foot long driveway).

That said, I can't stand the hot. If it's more than a dry 75 or so I can't stand it. From a driving perspective I think of overheating and blowouts when I think of driving down south (I've had both happen to me in southern Arizona)- which I guess much like with snow is just a deal where you have a decent car and good tires (although apparently different tires- when I borrowed my sister's car in June while it was briefly in Arizona with her trusty well-treaded studless winter tires that I know are incredible in snow they blew- I guess those aren't designed to handle the extreme heat at freeway speeds). From a comfort perspective, I absolutely hate the feeling of air conditioning and don't like the associated costs, and I've always thought "If you're too cold can always put more clothes on but if you're too hot you can't take all your clothes off." I could never live in South Texas.

jgb191

Judging from your comments, I don't you'd be comfortable even visiting South Texas any time of the year; 75 degrees (with occasional 80s) is very typical for January down here.....forget about July. lol

Having said that, I can't even handle Dallas in the winter (way too cold up there), much less Wyoming or the Midwest or the Northeast.

On the flip side, I might begin to complain a little if it approaches 105 degrees (plus humidity), especially when I'm fully covered from head to toe.  And this isn't dry heat (like it is Las Vegas and Phoenix), this is tropical heat with loads of humidity and drenching moisture).

KEK Inc.

I can generally handle heat well (not with 99% humidity), but what is there to do in Texas?  In California-Washington, you're close to the ocean, mountains, rivers, gorges, canyons, etc.  There's way more interesting topography in the far west.  I don't know of any other place in the country where you can be an hour away from the beach and an hour away from a ski resort. 

Scott5114

Because it's not like Texas borders an ocean or has rivers or mountains.

KEK Inc.

Touche.  But to prove my point, here's some comparisons:  

Carmel-by-the-sea, CA:

Galveston Beach, TX:

Sierra Nevada, CA:

Big Bend NP, TX:

Sacramento River, CA (in Siskyous)

Rio Grande, TX (Santa Elena Canyon)

Most of Texas' scenery is in the West, and it's pretty much limited to desert.  California alone has more variety, as it has deserts, Mediterranean, high-forest and marine west-coast climates.  

Scott5114

I'm not really seeing your point? I see a hell of a lot of variety in both states...

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 23, 2010, 07:37:49 AM
I'm not really seeing your point? I see a hell of a lot of variety in both states...

I've heard that Oklahoma has the most diverse terrain in the country.  I think I saw it on a tourism commercial.  It may or may not be true, but Oklahoma does indeed have a lot of varied terrain.

corco

Texas looks really, really cool based on those pictures.

You're amping up the  northwest because of the rain shadow effect, which does make for a neat situation where you've got a really green, wet area on one side of the mountains and then desert on the other which is kind of a cool diversity and is special, but that by no means makes it the only unique part of the country.

If you want to say "I like the northwest better than Texas" that's one thing, but to say "The northwest is better than Texas" is an entirely different thing. As somebody who has spent a lot of time in the northwest, I actually really liked Texas when I drove through a few months ago. Sure,the scenery isn't as stunning, but it is there.

It's the difference between a  Baroque styled building and a Renaissance building- you see a Baroque building and you know immediately know you're supposed to think it's beautiful and the beauty is thrown in your face. In a Renaissance building, it takes a moment to ponder the beauty, and once you do you generally always find beauty in it. Most architects would argue there is great merits to both schools of thought, and I'd argue the same when it comes to evaluating scenery.

I was in the Flint Hills of Kansas a couple weeks ago, something I suspect you would find to be ugly, but I really liked it, especially at this time of year. Sure, there weren't giant mountains to tell you " LOOK AT ME I'M BEAUTIFUL,"  but the leaves were changed in colors you just don't find in the northwest and the rolling hills are a terrain type you just don't find in the northwest (to a small extent in certain areas, but nothing like eastern Kansas/western Missouri). Even compared to the western northwest, the forests have an undergrowth you just don't find that's really neat as well.

I like the eastern Great Plains and a lot of what I had the opportunity to see in  Oklahoma and Texas if only because the beauty is more reflective and contemplative instead of the northwest's HEY! HEY! LOOK! I'M A BIG MOUNTAIN! I'M BEAUTIFUL!  Personally, I appreciate the northwest for what it is- the hour between an ocean and a ski resort thing is definitely true and very cool, but to say that Texas/other "boring" states don't have anything to appreciate as much as the northwest is just wrong.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on October 23, 2010, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 23, 2010, 07:37:49 AM

I've heard that Oklahoma has the most diverse terrain in the country.  I think I saw it on a tourism commercial.  It may or may not be true, but Oklahoma does indeed have a lot of varied terrain.

Alfalfa County

Blaine County

Caddo County

Cimarron County

Le Flore County

Murray County

Oklahoma County

Ottawa County

Payne County

...still Payne County (that's a hell of a lot of variation in one county)

Seminole County

Tillman County

Washington County

I suppose you could call Oklahoma diverse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.