News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 29, 2018, 07:14:17 AM
Quote from: txstateends on December 29, 2018, 01:26:52 AMMy sister told me almost 30 years ago, while pointing out the Amarillo store (which is on the latest closing list BTW):  "You can always get you a job at Sears, they'll never go out of business..."

Definitely one time I listened to the little voice that said not to apply.
I applied in college and failed the personality/ethics/whatever the hell it was test. Kinda glad I did, the manager was a jerk in the few minutes of interactions we had prior to that and I'm sure it would have been hell if I'd been hired.

It was called an LSI Exam, they used to give it to all their manager applicants.  It was a logic test, most retailers used something like that for management positions for much the last decade. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2018, 11:48:22 AM
Quote from: txstateends on December 29, 2018, 01:26:52 AMMy sister told me almost 30 years ago, while pointing out the Amarillo store (which is on the latest closing list BTW):  "You can always get you a job at Sears, they'll never go out of business..."

I applied in college and failed the personality/ethics/whatever the hell it was test. Kinda glad I did, the manager was a jerk in the few minutes of interactions we had prior to that and I'm sure it would have been hell if I'd been hired.

It was called an LSI Exam, they used to give it to all their manager applicants.  It was a logic test, most retailers used something like that for management positions for much the last decade.
No, this was one of the "you see a coworker stealing, what would you do?"  tests. I was absolutely not applying for a manager position.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 29, 2018, 01:00:48 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2018, 11:48:22 AM

No, this was one of the "you see a coworker stealing, what would you do?"  tests. I was absolutely not applying for a manager position.

That's the Unicru Test then. Basically they ask you the same questions repeatedly but phrased differently.  Supposedly if you don't answer consistently it means you are being deceptive or something.  Essentially it is some HR big wig's idea if taking the human factor out of the hiring practice to the fullest extent possible.  There are three grades; green, yellow and red.  You weren't even allowed to talk to someone as a hiring manager if they scored red. 

Flint1979

I may have said something about this earlier in the thread but Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek, Michigan once it's Sears closes will have no more anchor stores left. It's not in a bad location really either right next to I-94 at the M-66 exit.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2018, 01:19:38 PM
I may have said something about this earlier in the thread but Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek, Michigan once it's Sears closes will have no more anchor stores left. It's not in a bad location really either right next to I-94 at the M-66 exit.

I'd say tear it down and turn it into a power center or lifestyle center. Maybe even an outlet mall or something just to fill the void left by the tear down.

Flint1979

Quote from: thenetwork on December 29, 2018, 10:56:02 AM
I see the Kmart in Seven Hills (Cleveland), OH is finally closing.  Good news for Meijer who has been circling over the property like a vulture the last 6 months waiting to put their superstore there.

One of the earliest Kmarts I went to as a kid is still on life support -- Brunswick, OH -- I believe opened back in 1972.
Really? I think I've been in that Kmart before. It seems like kind of a small property for a Meijer store though.

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2018, 01:23:14 PM
I see the Kmart in Seven Hills (Cleveland), OH is finally closing.  Good news for Meijer who has been circling over the property like a vulture the last 6 months waiting to put their superstore there.

One of the earliest Kmarts I went to as a kid is still on life support -- Brunswick, OH -- I believe opened back in 1972.
Really? I think I've been in that Kmart before. It seems like kind of a small property for a Meijer store though.
Meijer has smaller-footprint stores, although they suck and don't last very long.

thenetwork

They are looking to get the whole city block, IIRC.  Also on that block is a small strip plaza, 2 or 3 fast food restaurants a self serve car wash and a bank.  Not sure how many of those are still in business, though.  This is off memory of 12 years ago.

hbelkins

Re: dollar stores. I saw something recently that may be the same thing US 71 saw. People complaining about them opening in less-affluent areas of cities. And yes, the laughable term "food desert" was used in that story. And I say "laughable" because while fresh ears of corn may not be available within a 10-minute walk of some people, canned corn certainly is. And you're not going to die of malnutrition or come down with scurvy or rickets if you're eating canned green beans instead of fresh ones that you have to string and break yourself.

Around here, dollar stores (mostly Dollar General, but to a lesser extent, Family Dollar as well) are expanding in small towns, near major intersections in rural counties, and close to employment centers such as factories or other facilities in industrial parks. The premise is that it's easy for people to run and get something that they need on their way home from work. Prices may be a little more expensive than Walmart, but oftimes the convenience is worth it. You don't have to deal with huge parking lots and crowded checkout lines. And around here, the dollar stores undercut independent grocery stores on a lot of canned or prepackaged items. If I can get the same item for $1 at Dollar General vs. $1.79 at the local IGA, guess where I'm buying it? The dollar stores also have a pretty good digital coupon program that, when combined with sales, means you can get everyday items like toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc., at deep discounts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: thenetwork on December 29, 2018, 04:16:12 PM

They are looking to get the whole city block, IIRC.  Also on that block is a small strip plaza, 2 or 3 fast food restaurants a self serve car wash and a bank.  Not sure how many of those are still in business, though.  This is off memory of 12 years ago.
That would probably take some doing. I believe there are apartments both north and south of there. I'm kind of surprised that Kmart is closing since it's not really anywhere near a Walmart.

dvferyance

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 29, 2018, 01:22:33 PM

I'd say tear it down and turn it into a power center or lifestyle center. Maybe even an outlet mall or something just to fill the void left by the tear down.
If it was in Florida or Texas I would agree with that but in Michigan? It can get pretty cold there during the winter months and that is when the busiest shopping season take place. Nobody is going to go to an outdoor lifestyle center when it's 10 degrees outside. I only go to indoor malls during the Christmas season not a good idea to build outdoor malls in cold weather climates.

Flint1979

Quote from: dvferyance on December 30, 2018, 07:40:31 PM

If it was in Florida or Texas I would agree with that but in Michigan? It can get pretty cold there during the winter months and that is when the busiest shopping season take place. Nobody is going to go to an outdoor lifestyle center when it's 10 degrees outside. I only go to indoor malls during the Christmas season not a good idea to build outdoor malls in cold weather climates.
Michigan has some places like that but where Lakeview Square is located there is already a lot of big box stores around there. There's a Walmart, Meijer, Target, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Menards, Lowe's and Kohl's all across the street.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 30, 2018, 07:48:10 PM

Michigan has some places like that but where Lakeview Square is located there is already a lot of big box stores around there. There's a Walmart, Meijer, Target, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Menards, Lowe's and Kohl's all across the street.

Or just turn the tear-down property into a sports venue of some sort.

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 30, 2018, 09:34:57 PM

I haven't heard anything about future plans there but I think they want to try to bring in more traditional stores and mom and pop type stores that you can see from the outside. The main entrance to the mall is in between a Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's so they already have that and the stores in the mall are still there although not as many as before. I heard the city wants to try to bring a hotel in there and that they have a close relationship with the owners of the mall.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 30, 2018, 09:44:28 PM

I haven't heard anything about future plans there but I think they want to try to bring in more traditional stores and mom and pop type stores that you can see from the outside. The main entrance to the mall is in between a Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's so they already have that and the stores in the mall are still there although not as many as before. I heard the city wants to try to bring a hotel in there and that they have a close relationship with the owners of the mall.

I don't know if that's going to work out long-term, we shall see.

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 30, 2018, 09:45:27 PM

I had already labeled it as a dead mall after it lost Macy's and JCPenney. It really isn't surprising that Sears is closing that location but now I guess it'll really be considered a dead mall. There is a Sears about 25 miles from Battle Creek in Portage but that doesn't help this situation.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 30, 2018, 09:58:32 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 30, 2018, 09:45:27 PM

I had already labeled it as a dead mall after it lost Macy's and JCPenney. It really isn't surprising that Sears is closing that location but now I guess it'll really be considered a dead mall. There is a Sears about 25 miles from Battle Creek in Portage but that doesn't help this situation.

I see.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Max Rockatansky

abefroman329

Max Rockatansky

abefroman329

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 12:41:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2019, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 12:16:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2019, 12:06:13 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 10:45:20 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 01, 2019, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 01, 2019, 10:00:50 AM
What is a lifestyle center?

Fancy name for an outdoor mall.
Oh, a town center.

Sounds like a fancy name for a retirement home.
No, that's "active community."

But isn't it a lifestyle to be active?
Yeah, but then there's also "sedentary lifestyle"

At the Homewood Lifestyle Center we promote an active environment so Mom and Dad can enjoy an fruitful life with other like minded seniors.  We offer rich educational courses taught by Sears University Professor and once declared "next Warren Buffet"  Eddie Lampert.  Courses includes "how to manage your Hedge Fund"  and "how to part out your assets for maximum profit."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.