News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do you think are scams?

Started by kirbykart, January 06, 2023, 08:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on January 16, 2023, 02:40:19 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 08:30:04 PM
I could never drink that disgusting stuff. I have never even tasted beer in my life and never will. If I had a dollar for every recorded Marijuana death in human history I couldn't even buy a pizza.

There's always this tasty spread made from the leavings of beer brewing:

It's loverly on matzo for breakfast or a snack.

I've had Marmite before and IMO that stuff was nasty.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 15, 2023, 10:32:47 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 15, 2023, 09:42:18 PM
Quote from: skluth on January 14, 2023, 12:07:50 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 13, 2023, 10:26:13 AM
I've read that sugar cane makes for better ethanol than corn, but last I checked we don't have a sugar cane lobby.

Because the US has very little land suitable for sugar cane cultivation. I'm sure it would be a powerful lobby if the US was located closer to the tropics like Brazil.

Big Sugar is not a recording artist in Florida.

Sugar's farmland grip is still a mere fraction of corn's in the US.

Big Sugar left some cool ghost towns in the Everglades at least:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/HJqf2C7q4D

Fun factoid: Bryant still has its own zip code (33439).

I like using it on the rare occasions I get asked for a zip code.

Big John

Quote from: roadman65 on January 16, 2023, 02:54:11 AM
Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on January 16, 2023, 02:40:19 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 08:30:04 PM
I could never drink that disgusting stuff. I have never even tasted beer in my life and never will. If I had a dollar for every recorded Marijuana death in human history I couldn't even buy a pizza.

There's always this tasty spread made from the leavings of beer brewing:

It's loverly on matzo for breakfast or a snack.

Reminds me of an I Love Lucy episode with a product Lucy was to endorse with a similar name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7IfR4fZW_k
No "Down Under" reference?

mgk920

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on January 16, 2023, 02:48:12 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2023, 01:19:02 PM

- People who were (and still are) all wigged out over the 'Bug' for the past 3 years

Mike

Yeah, I was doing at least a code a night when the 'bug' was really nasty there 3 years back. And my nursing home was lucky, we got a handle on it earlier than most. Even so, we were stacking the deceased up in our mourge nightly for a good 6 months.

Nursing homes and assisted living centers have normally been going into 'no visitors' mode when there are flu bugs going around for several years now (a couple of times per year for a week or two at a time), but how they were turned into virtual prisons during that time was beyond what was truly called for.

Mike

abefroman329

Quote from: mgk920 on January 16, 2023, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on January 16, 2023, 02:48:12 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2023, 01:19:02 PM

- People who were (and still are) all wigged out over the 'Bug' for the past 3 years

Mike

Yeah, I was doing at least a code a night when the 'bug' was really nasty there 3 years back. And my nursing home was lucky, we got a handle on it earlier than most. Even so, we were stacking the deceased up in our mourge nightly for a good 6 months.

Nursing homes and assisted living centers have normally been going into 'no visitors' mode when there are flu bugs going around for several years now (a couple of times per year for a week or two at a time), but how they were turned into virtual prisons during that time was beyond what was truly called for.

Mike
This does not describe the nursing home in downstate IL where my wife's now-deceased aunt lived during COVID - I was there frequently in the summer of 2020 and COVID mitigation measures bordered on non-existent.

And even if it did, no one who refused to follow COVID recommendations gets to complain about health care facilities getting turned into "virtual prisons" - if it bothered you that much, then you should have done what you needed to do to stop the spread.

abefroman329

mgk920

hotdogPi

Quote from: mgk920 on January 16, 2023, 12:08:09 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2023, 12:04:38 PM
COVID trutherism is a scam.

Did all of these contortions work?

Mike

Top-ranking deaths per capita, total from the beginning to now: AZ, MS, WV, AL, NM, AR, TN, MI, OK, NY, NJ, KY, LA, FL.

NY and NJ got it early, and the earliest months had the highest case-fatality ratio. Other than NM, the rest are red states, although this could easily be quality of life rankings rather than political party (which would explain why NM is on the list).

Of the 14 states I mentioned, four (NM, NY, NJ, FL) have above-average vaccination rates, it's been suspected that FL is overcounted because of people moving to or from there and being double-counted in both Florida and another state, and as I said earlier, a lot of NY and NJ's deaths came from before there was a vaccine.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on January 16, 2023, 12:10:41 PM

Mike

Top-ranking deaths per capita, total from the beginning to now: AZ, MS, WV, AL, NM, AR, TN, MI, OK, NY, NJ, KY, LA, FL.

NY and NJ got it early, and the earliest months had the highest case-fatality ratio. Other than NM, the rest are red states, although this could easily be quality of life rankings rather than political party (which would explain why NM is on the list).

Of the 14 states I mentioned, four (NM, NY, NJ, FL) have above-average vaccination rates, it's been suspected that FL is overcounted because of people moving to or from there and being double-counted in both Florida and another state, and as I said earlier, a lot of NY and NJ's deaths came from before there was a vaccine.
We also know that COVID cases/deaths in FL were underreported.

abefroman329

triplemultiplex

Quote from: formulanone on January 15, 2023, 09:42:18 PM
Quote from: skluth on January 14, 2023, 12:07:50 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 13, 2023, 10:26:13 AM
I've read that sugar cane makes for better ethanol than corn, but last I checked we don't have a sugar cane lobby.

Because the US has very little land suitable for sugar cane cultivation. I'm sure it would be a powerful lobby if the US was located closer to the tropics like Brazil.

Big Sugar is not a recording artist in Florida.

Sugar's farmland grip is still a mere fraction of corn's in the US.

Small but highly influential.  Protectionist tariffs on imported cane sugar were the reason we invented high fructose corn syrup.  I suppose the sugar beet farmers were on board with those import tariffs, too.
Obviously demand exceeded supply making sugar artificially expensive thus incentivizing the market to develop a cheaper alternative.  Now it's the default for any pre-made food item in America, even after import tariffs on sugar have been retired.

But speaking of which, there's a lot of scammers out there trying to scare people about high fructose corn syrup.  They will blame literally anything on it, but they've got shit evidence to back it up.  At the end of the day, sugar is sugar is sugar.  You're body doesn't care if it came from sugar cane, beets, corn, or a damn apple.  It's only the quantity one consumes that truly matters.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

zzcarp

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2023, 12:20:51 PM

Mike

The conspiracy theory that FL deaths were underreported was a scam.
So many miles and so many roads

mgk920

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2023, 12:21:17 PM

Mike
What "contortions" were those?

My sense is that when the next 'pandemic' is declared, regardless of how truly serous it is, most of the public in general will be in 'the Boy who Cried WOLF!' mode.  Scary indeed.

Mike

abefroman329

Quote from: mgk920 on January 16, 2023, 12:31:29 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2023, 12:21:17 PM

Mike
What "contortions" were those?

My sense is that when the next 'pandemic' is declared, regardless of how truly serous it is, most of the public in general will be in 'the Boy who Cried WOLF!' mode.  Scary indeed.

Mike
My sense is that people who respond to minor inconveniences with MUH FREEDOM and a temper tantrum are petulant children.

abefroman329

Quote from: zzcarp on January 16, 2023, 12:27:03 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2023, 12:20:51 PM

Mike

The conspiracy theory that FL deaths were underreported was a scam.
Uh huh.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-florida-desantis-spin-ss-prem-20201203-tyjmgkos6bd7vo7vnripqliany-htmlstory.html

Max Rockatansky

Are we really going to rehash the COVID thread again? 

mgk920

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on January 16, 2023, 02:36:06 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2023, 12:45:27 PM
Are we really going to rehash the COVID thread again?

Hehehehe

Mike

I think I'd rather hear about how Illinois isn't flat and how helicopter grapple hooks will save us from automotive accidents. 

MultiMillionMiler

Illinois is not flat. No place on a spherical planet is flat. Everywhere on the earth is curved.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.