News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What do you think are scams?

Started by kirbykart, January 06, 2023, 08:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

TV antennas that are sold as HD, or 4K, digital antennas. This includes the ClearTV & TV Freeway antennas. An antenna does not care if the signal is analog or digital. Some informercials for these TV antennas even claim that they can pick up cable, or satellite, channels. They are also not very clear about weather, or not, they can work in rural areas as well.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2023, 07:24:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 07:20:15 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 06:59:31 PM
You sound like you need it so he's right. Take some deep breaths next time he's over and relax for once!

Can't, I'm a Federal Employee and get screened randomly.  Marijuana is still a Federal Schedule I narcotic and thusly would appear on a screen.  Likewise, I wouldn't allow someone to smoke a cigarette in my house either.

To be fair, the federal drug-testing policy is kind of a scam. It's led to a lot of government agencies being forced to contract out certain functions because it is entirely impossible to hire anyone qualified who tests clean. (Computer programming is the prime example–you don't have to be high out of your mind to do software engineering, but it sure does help you make mental connections that you wouldn't otherwise.)
Like everything, moderation is the key. There's a fine line between smoking oneself into 'the zone', vs. being so ripped you spend 45 minutes looking for a semicolon.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

SectorZ

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 09:17:52 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 07, 2023, 09:05:29 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 08:59:02 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on January 07, 2023, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 05:16:28 PM
I feel bad for all the kids from lunatic families who only feed them "gluten free" stuff. I bet they protest GMOs though, despite them being a great source of Vitamin A.

If we have kids, that could potentially describe my wife.  (And she's really into essential oils.)

Every gluten free food I have tried tasted absolutely horrible or upset my stomach. Don't do that to your future kids over paranoid fears. I ate so much junk food an
as a kid, still do sometimes, and my physical health is fine.
Wow, I can understand you don't drink beer - but how comes you didn't try any apples, peaches and blueberries? No steaks nor potatoes?
I do understand why you need to get high with such a diet!

Apples I occasionally eat, they aren't good but they don't taste bad either. Broccoli is my vegetable of choice. I love chicken but don't remember if I've tried steak. Chicken cutlets are my favorite meal.

I'm not a big steak person, but the fact that you've never once tried steak in two decades makes me wonder if everything you post here can be subject matter for this thread.

LilianaUwU

The worst scam of all: YouTube Premium. Just use uBlock Origin and deal with ads in the rare case you watch on mobile.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: bm7 on January 07, 2023, 11:33:12 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 08:45:20 PM

Marijuana side effects: Increased appetite, relaxation, anxiety relief, reduced epilepsy, non-addictive pain relief, chemotherapy suffering reduction, increased cognitive performance, euphoria, less than 10 deaths in all of human history, (if any).

There are many long-term side effects to marijuana usage including addiction, inhibited brain development, long-term memory loss, attention deficit, and an increased chance of developing mental conditions such as psychosis, schizophrenia, and depression. It might be less dangerous than other drugs, but it still has a lot of dangers.

Key word is longer term. Lexapro does those same things to people with brains not yet fully developed and parents still dope their kids up on meds like that. Addiction also doesn't automatically make something an issue. If you can grow it in your own garden, you're not going to resort to crime to obtain it. Legalizing drugs ensures the black market dies off along with all the crime that comes with it. But yes, many anti-depressant/anxiety meds used long term can have those same harmful effects on the brain. Not to mention they are less effective then weed is for those conditions.

NWI_Irish96

Really popular scams:

QAnon

Election fraud theories

Anti-vaccination propaganda

Trickle down economics
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 11:06:46 AM
Quote from: bm7 on January 07, 2023, 11:33:12 PM

Marijuana side effects: Increased appetite, relaxation, anxiety relief, reduced epilepsy, non-addictive pain relief, chemotherapy suffering reduction, increased cognitive performance, euphoria, less than 10 deaths in all of human history, (if any).

There are many long-term side effects to marijuana usage including addiction, inhibited brain development, long-term memory loss, attention deficit, and an increased chance of developing mental conditions such as psychosis, schizophrenia, and depression. It might be less dangerous than other drugs, but it still has a lot of dangers.

Key word is longer term. Lexapro does those same things to people with brains not yet fully developed and parents still dope their kids up on meds like that. Addiction also doesn't automatically make something an issue. If you can grow it in your own garden, you're not going to resort to crime to obtain it. Legalizing drugs ensures the black market dies off along with all the crime that comes with it. But yes, many anti-depressant/anxiety meds used long term can have those same harmful effects on the brain. Not to mention they are less effective then weed is for those conditions.

Legalization in California hasn't totally killed the black market for marijuana products.  There is always someone out there who will offer something more potent for a price.

kalvado

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 12:38:13 PM
Well maybe the government should legalize the sale of more potent stuff.
Says someone who doesn't know what full time job is

Max Rockatansky

One size fits all solutions to anything much less crime and addiction rarely produce desired results. 

JoePCool14

Quote from: LilianaUwU on January 08, 2023, 11:04:26 AM
The worst scam of all: YouTube Premium. Just use uBlock Origin and deal with ads in the rare case you watch on mobile.

Unless you primarily watch on mobile (or TV, like using a console) like I do. It's worth paying for the amount of YouTube I watch, which is admittedly too much time wasted... I also don't mind paying since I don't usually subscribe to any other video streaming services outside of for about a month to watch something specific.

I'm just sick of watching ads in general. I work for money, I pay my money, I get no ads. Good deal to me.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

mgk920

- Panhandlers on busy street corners (I'd LOVE to sic some IRS auditors on them!)
- Voting at locations and times other than your local polling places on election day
- People who were (and still are) all wigged out over the 'Bug' for the past 3 years
- recorded calls from never before seen phone numbers
- The 16th Amendment
- Speed limits that are (politically) set to slow for their roads

Mike

hotdogPi

Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2023, 01:19:02 PM
- Voting at locations and times other than your local polling places on election day

There is absolutely no reason why voting should last only one day. The longer the total time available, the shorter the lines are. This is effectively what early voting is.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

mgk920

All alcohol is poison.

Let's compare:

Alcohol side effects: Brain Cancer, liver failure, heart disease, drunk driving crashes, domestic violence, over 700,000 deaths a year. Few medical benefits.

Case Closed.

Then you want us to simply outlaw it.  Kewl.   :nod:

Mike

MultiMillionMiler

Maybe, it causes too much damage to society.

J N Winkler

Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2023, 01:19:02 PMVoting at locations and times other than your local polling places on election day

Disagree.  If I vote early in person or by mail, I sidestep poll workers hired for the day, functioning on little sleep, and often poorly trained.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

skluth

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 01:34:00 PM
Maybe, it causes too much damage to society.

Says the guy with no actual experience in adult society.

MultiMillionMiler

No, just experience in a couple neuropharmacology classes from college.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 02:38:20 PM

College education and the manifest destiny career expectations it brings to many young people is very divorced from how the actual real world works.

One might way, that certain aspect of the college experience is a scam.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 02:49:26 PM
All highway tolls are scams, especially the Jersey Turnpike. I shouldn't have to drain my bank account $1000/year on extortion toll bills. They never use it to repair the roads anyway. I am not consuming any resources by traveling on a public road that my taxes already paid for 3x over. And what are the alternatives? Route 130? I-195 to I-295 LOL nope!

Someone want to explain to MMM that VMTs are basically inevitable?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 08, 2023, 02:51:30 PM

College education and the manifest destiny career expectations it brings to many young people is very divorced from how the actual real world works.

I agree with all of that, I actually regret going. But I did enjoy the neuroscience/psychology classes which is how I know the dangers of drinking. The professor (PHD in neuropharmacology) agreed that all drugs, except alcohol, should be legal.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 02:57:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 08, 2023, 02:51:30 PM

I agree with all of that, I actually regret going. But I did enjoy the neuroscience/psychology classes which is how I know the dangers of drinking. The professor (PHD in neuropharmacology) agreed that all drugs, except alcohol, should be legal.

Sounds like you should ask for a refund given they filled your head with some moon logic. 

(Before you say it, I already know you didn't pay for classes.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 03:06:15 PM
So now Max R is a neuroscience expert ROTFL. While I don't agree that every hard core drug should be legal, I still think Alcohol is the scariest hard core drug there is and should stop being produced in this country.

The fact you use acronyms like this in sentences really illustrates why I think your degree is worthless.  All this college experience and you do nothing with it, how sad.  Saying things like "alcohol is the scariest hard core drug"  really speaks to how divorced from reality you are.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 03:21:38 PM
Alcohol is the worst gateway drug as well. And millions of Americans are starting to finally come to their senses and see the hypocrisy. LOL but believe me you are 100% right on how worthless college is. And FYI, alcohol is the first drug you loose touch with reality with the fastest out of any other drug. FWIW, even many baby boomers are starting to realize how pointless the war on drugs was and instead that should be shifted against alcohol.

See, you want to be acknowledged as the subject matter expert of everything you comment on.  What you don't understand is that the content of your posts exposes your lack of real world experience.  Speaking in absolutes regarding things like alcohol really puts on display how child-like your world view really is. 

mgk920

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.