News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Random Highway Facts Thread

Started by njroadhorse, June 18, 2009, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

not a re-entry into a state, but I-8 crosses between San Diego and Imperial Counties about five times.  The county border is a straight line drawn over a mountain range ... the freeway is somewhat more winding.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

njroadhorse

Quote from: Hellfighter on June 18, 2009, 08:11:24 PM
Quote from: njroadhorse on June 18, 2009, 06:25:30 PM

Did you know: I-90 is the only interstate to have both its termini with non-Interstates.

What about I-75? It's northern terminus is at the International Bridge in Sault St. Marie, and it's southern terminus is at FL-826.
Barring interstates that hit borders.  I forgot to mention that.  By that rationale, I-75 is eliminated.  Anyway, I-90 is almost 2000 miles longer than I-75.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Revive 755

Quote from: njroadhorseAnyway, I-90 is almost 2000 miles longer than I-75.

Actually only 1234 miles longer; I-75 is 1786 miles long, while I-90 is about 3021 miles long.

Quote from: Mr_NorthsideWhen I-86 is (ever) complete in NY, it could be considered the only Interstate to enter a single state more than twice, no???

I-24 enters Tennessee twice since it briefly dips south into Georgia.

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 19, 2009, 11:22:02 PM
they've raised it in Utah as well?

last time I was there, I went from 15 to 70, and didn't see anything.  I'd imagine that the area south of 70, down to about St. George, would be eligible for the higher limit too ... pretty abandoned stretch going in both directions from 70.

oh and 70 itself should be eligible for speed limit 80.  There are a few winding mountain sections, but it's a very lightly traveled road.

Jeff sent us an article on the 80 mph limits in Utah back in January:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5217103

Duke87

The highest exit number in the country is 880 (I-10, Texas).

The highest exit number on a sequentially numbered highway is 100 (I-395, Connecticut, continuing numbers from the CT turnpike).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hellfighter

M-1 Woodward Avenue between 6 and 7 Mile roads in Detroit was the first paved road in the country

florida

US 90 is the only highway in FL to enter two sets of counties twice each in its trek through the state (Holmes/Washington and Leon/Jefferson).

So many roads...so little time.

mightyace

Before I-65 in Nashville was rerouted over the former I-265, the junction on the southeast corner of the inner loop was a rare junction of three 2dis with each leg being multiplexed.

Former alignment:
West leg: I-40, I-65
North leg: I-24, I-65
East leg: I-24, I-40

With I-65 out of the equation, it's just another interchange.  Though I still travel north/south on the old I-65 alignment and not the new one.  Outside of rush hour, it's faster.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on June 20, 2009, 02:26:10 PM

The highest exit number on a sequentially numbered highway is 100 (I-395, Connecticut, continuing numbers from the CT turnpike).
When I-86 is completed in NY it will beat this with 131.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Greybear

Interstate 30 is the shortest two-digit Interstate ending in zero in the Interstate system, with a total length of 367 miles.

Michael

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 18, 2009, 11:27:58 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on June 18, 2009, 09:26:23 PMH is the highest-lettered exit without a number!  2Y is in Kansas City as many know... who knows where the H is?
I will guess Atlantic City, NJ since they are pretty hardcore on the lettered exits.
Here, perhaps?

Mergingtraffic

The section of expressway that has the longest continually lighted section is I-95 from the NY State line to just east of Branford, CT. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

akotchi

Quote from: Greybear on June 21, 2009, 06:56:07 PM
Interstate 30 is the shortest two-digit Interstate ending in zero in the Interstate system, with a total length of 367 miles.

I-45 is the shortest 2di ending in 5 in the Interstate system, at 285 miles.  It is also the only intrastate x5 route.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mightyace

There's an approximately 40 mile stretch of I-81 where you can cross three state lines and, hence, be in four states in less than an hour.  (Maybe a half-hour if you push it.  :wow:)

Starting in Virginia at exit 323, you cross into West Virginia for 26 miles, then you make a 12 mile sojourn through Maryland until you enter Pennsylvania.

njroadhorse

Interstate 81 is the longest non-x10 or non-x5 interstate in America.
NJ Roads FTW!

Chris

The longest stretch between exits on an Interstate Highway is located on the I-80 in Utah between Wendover and Knolls, with 37 miles (60 km) between those exits.

74/171FAN

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 23, 2009, 09:31:35 AM
Are you sure it's not I-94?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

njroadhorse

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 23, 2009, 09:34:21 AM
Quote from: njroadhorse on June 23, 2009, 09:31:35 AM
Are you sure it's not I-94?
Yup you're right.  I-94's the longest, but I-81 is still the longest N-S route of the above criteria.
NJ Roads FTW!

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on June 23, 2009, 09:33:34 AM
The longest stretch between exits on an Interstate Highway is located on the I-80 in Utah between Wendover and Knolls, with 37 miles (60 km) between those exits.

That beats I-70/76 on the PA Turnpike between exits 110 and 146 (36 miles) by one mile.  (mentioned earlier in this thread)

BTW It would be interesting to know the exact distances between both pairs of exits.

Chris

US 59 is the busiest road in Texas with 337,000 AADT just before the I-610 interchange in Houston source

Hellfighter

The 405 is the busiest freeway in the United States with an average of 380,000 vehicles per day.

Duke87

The longest interstate that doesn't cross a state line? I-87. 333.49 miles, all in New York.

The shortest interstate that does? I-535, extending a mere 2.78 miles south out of Duluth, Minnesota into Wisconsin.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Chris

The biggest city/metro with no 3-digits? Phoenix, Arizona.

The biggest city with only 2 freeways? Tucson, Arizona

QuoteThe shortest interstate that does? I-535, extending a mere 2.78 miles south out of Duluth, Minnesota into Wisconsin.

At 2.81 miles, I-670 comes in second in KS/MO.

hm insulators

Quote from: Hellfighter on June 23, 2009, 03:39:56 PM
The 405 is the busiest freeway in the United States with an average of 380,000 vehicles per day.

I take it that would be the 405 in Los Angeles, not Portland, Oregon. The actual busiest stretch might be the section between LAX and the San Fernando Valley; there's no such thing as rush hour on that stretch; it's congested (both directions!)from about 6AM to about 8PM or even later.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.