News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

As of January 2024, Corridor H, also known as US Route 48, is a partially completed 157-mile four-lane expressway connecting Interstate 79 in Weston, West Virginia, to Interstate 81 in Strasburg, Virginia. In West Virginia, most segments of Corridor H are complete. However, the segment from Karens to Parsons is under construction, while the Parsons to Davis and Wardensville to Virginia sections are still in the planning stages.

Traversing some of the most challenging mountainous terrain in the eastern United States, Corridor H crosses two significant rivers. The highway also runs through two national forests and is in proximity to about 150 native trout streams, thousands of acres of wetlands, high mountain bogs, and areas of karst terrain. Additionally, the route is near approximately 1,000 historic structures, five historic districts, two Civil War battlefields, and numerous abandoned coal mines.

I've posted many more photos and history here.

1 North Elkins bypass (January 2024)

2 Haddix Run Bridge west of Parsons (January 2024)

3 (August 2023)

4 (August 2023)

5 East of Davis (January 2024)

6 Near Davis and WV Route 32 (January 2024)

7 Allegheny Front (January 2024)

8 (January 2024)

9 Greenland (January 2024)

10 New Creek Mountain (January 2024)

11 (January 2024)

12 Clifford Hollow Bridge east of Moorefield (August 2023)

13 Bridge over the Lost River at Hanging Rock (August 2023)

13 (August 2023)

14 Bridge over the Lost River west of Wardensville (August 2023)

15 (August 2023)

16 Terminus of four-lane Corridor H at County Route 23/10 west of Wardensville (August 2023)

tmoore952

Very nice pictures!

I have driven the I-81 to Moorefield stretch about 10 times, and also used to drive through that area (e.g. Lost River) before the highway was ever built. It is amazing how different the same area feels to me when you are driving on the old roads (at surface elevation) and when you are driving on US 48 (how ever many feet you are above the same places when on the long bridges).

I would get off at Moorefield to head south on US 220 to places like Petersburg, Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob etc.

Only once or twice have I ever ventured west of US 220, and the last time I did that was about 2013 or 2014 (I had no reason to go west of Moorefield save to see the new road). The road went maybe an additional 15 miles west at that time. I should get out there again and check it out. It'll get much easier for me to do this in a couple years.

seicer

About the closest you could get with the same elevation profile was WV Route 93 east of Davis. Most everything else was routed through valleys, making such dramatic views unattainable. I hope that WVDOH keeps the vegetation cut back to allow for the sweeping views.

tmoore952

I was reminded today via a family discussion that I have ancestry roots in the Phillipi-Belington-Kalamazoo (WV) area.

If I ever go out there again (wouldn't be for a couple years) I will use what I can of US 48 to go there (from DC area). At least now I have a semi-valid reason to use the road west of Moorefield.

EDIT - all of my previous trips out that way (3 hours to 4 hours, some were very long day trips) were done before I was a parent. Back then, it would not be unusual for me to decide to drive out there spur-of-the-moment. Driving a long stretch of road "just to see it" without another good reason to do so, doesn't happen anymore.

Great Lakes Roads

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/0f8f8fafce874104be6d75e6a542873f

https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/engineering/comment/Pages/Parsons-to-Davis.aspx

Notice of Intent (NOI) to prepare a supplemental environmental impact statement (SEIS) for the Corridor H segment between Parsons to Davis.

seicer

Thanks for posting this. It appears that 15% are in favor of the ROPA alternative, 83% for a different alternative (assuming it's the BAA 2 alternative), and 3% for neither.

"To minimize encroachment into the valley of the North Fork of the Blackwater River and within the Blackwater Industrial Complex Archaeological and Historic District, the Coketon bridge has been redesigned. The R-ROPA Coketon bridge will now be a steel arch structure with two piers located in previously disturbed reclamation areas within the historic district but well away from the mainline of the WVC&P historic railroad bed and the Powerhouse Site. Additionally, to further minimize the impact on the visual environment, the bridge has been raised an additional 75' above the valley floor."

I know this wouldn't be as high as New River Gorge, but a Corten steel arch structure could be a visual addition to the valley.

"Because of community concerns relating to pedestrian safety and connectivity between the City of Thomas and the Town of Davis."

Few walk between Thomas and Davis, although there is now a bike path partially constructed between the two. I'm not sure about the construction status, but having the highway less visually apparent through a reduction in the right-of-way or enhanced vegetation would be a plus.

If the state is still looking to pursue a truck bypass of Thomas, they should consider at least streetscaping the city - and streetscaping Davis. Both suffer from poor sidewalk connectivity, undefined parking areas, and stormwater control issues.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.