Bridges you've walked across

Started by kurumi, June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on June 03, 2010, 02:44:18 PM

• Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan/Brooklyn, NY)
  • Old Poughkeepsie Rail Bridge (Highland/Poughkeepsie, NY)
  • Charlestown Bridge (Boston, MA)

I've done these three as well, plus the Queensboro Bridge (NY 25) between Manhattan and Long Island City.  Also, I think you left out the Lovelandtown Bridge (NJ 13), which we walked halfway across at the Brick/Wall road meet back in June.

Duke87

That post of mine you're quoting is from 2010 and was complete and accurate at the time it was made. ;)

Maybe I'll make an updated list when I'm not confined to posting from my phone because the person I'm staying with doesn't have wifi.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on October 24, 2013, 09:45:44 AM
That post of mine you're quoting is from 2010 and was complete and accurate at the time it was made. ;)

Maybe I'll make an updated list when I'm not confined to posting from my phone because the person I'm staying with doesn't have wifi.

Oh, sorry about that.  I didn't realize that this thread was so old.

I walked across an old US 60/US 70/US 89/AZ 93 bridge in eastern Wickenburg recently. It's this one right here: http://goo.gl/maps/YD5j6

shadyjay

I walked across the Baldwin Bridge this past Saturday.  The Baldwin Bridge, which opened in May of 1993, carries 8 lanes of Interstate 95 (Connecticut Turnpike) / US 1 traffic across the Connecticut River between Old Saybrook and Old Lyme... ~ MP 78-79.  The bridge has a walkway along its northern side, which has nice views of the bridge's plaques, original toll house building (from the old bridge, 1947-1993 - tolls last collected in the late 1960s), and an overlook park on the east side with historic plaques and markers showing the approaches to the previous 2 bridges (1947 and 1911).  Some pretty cool stuff... check the album out here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108118189767835080687/BaldwinBridgeWalk7252015

getemngo

Hmm, not many...

• Purple People Bridge in Cincinnati (the only time I've crossed a state line on foot, excluding tripoint visits)
  • Chain of Rocks Bridge, at the St. Louis meet
  • Portage Lake Lift Bridge, as part of a parade!

This Labor Day I'm finally crossing the Mackinac Bridge off my bucket list.

I'd like to get the International (Sault Ste. Marie) Bridge in the future, too. There's a bridge walk (warning: terrible Wikipedia article) every June, which is quite the experience because the bridge is two lanes with no sidewalks. One lane is closed, everybody has to go at once, and traffic resumes immediately behind the walkers.
~ Sam from Michigan

Bruce

As of July 2015:

• Homer M. Hadley Memorial Bridge (westbound I-90 floating bridge, trail on north side)
  • Hewitt Avenue Trestle (US 2, trail on south side)
  • Ebey Slough Bridge (SR 529)
  • Plenty of overpasses

Planned crossings

• Evergreen Point Floating Bridge (SR 520, opens in 2016)
  • Tacoma Narrows Bridge (eastbound SR 16)

Rothman

Trying to think of some of them.

French King Bridge (MA 2)
Brooklyn Bridge
Theodore Roosevelt Bridge (I-66)
Thousand Islands Bridge (I-81)
Verrazano Bridge (Assateague Island :D)

Took a tour of the CBBT once where we stood in the exhaust vent above one of the tunnels, Thimble Shoal, I believe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Thing 342

Quote from: Thing 342 on September 13, 2013, 04:58:14 PM
The Mike O'Callaghan—Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge (the new Hoover Dam bridge)

Robert E. Lee Memorial Bridge (US 1/301 over James River in Richmond, VA)

Barrett's Ferry Bridge, both new and old spans (VA 5 over Chickahominy River near Williamsburg, VA)

Golden Gate Bridge

New River Gorge Bridge (on Bridge Day)
Adding a few:

The rip-rap bridge between the southern HRBT tunnel portal and Fort Wool (not technically a bridge, but still cool)

The Eads Bridge in St. Louis

The remains of the old 2-lane span of the James River Bridge (now a fishing pier)

Ace10

Brooklyn Bridge (New York NY)
Cambie Bridge (Vancouver BC)
Interstate Bridge (Portland OR-Vancouver WA)
Perrine Bridge (Twin Falls ID)
Biloxi Bay Bridge (Biloxi-Ocean Springs MS) (the new one that opened in 2007)

Now that the new Tilikum Crossing bridge will be open soon in Portland OR, I have plans to walk across that one and perhaps a few others in the area. I've driven across all of them in Portland except for the Sellwood Bridge.

freebrickproductions

I've walked across the abandoned bridge down in Ditto Landing here in Huntsville, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TravelingBethelite

The only one I've walked across that comes to mind is the old Charlestown Bridge in Boston. Sadly, I heard it's going to be demolished and replaced soon.  :-(
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Rothman

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 13, 2015, 09:36:40 AM
The only one I've walked across that comes to mind is the old Charlestown Bridge in Boston. Sadly, I heard it's going to be demolished and replaced soon.  :-(

Dangit, I've done that one, too!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

iBallasticwolf2

The only bridges I've walked across would be the Purple People Bride between Newport and Cincinnati, and the Big Four bridge between Louisville and Jeffersonville.
I've also walked across the Alanland-Alan Bridge on I-366 with an 85 mph speed limit.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Rothman on August 13, 2015, 03:16:55 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 13, 2015, 09:36:40 AM

Dangit, I've done that one, too!

If I recall correctly, the message "acrophobic friendly zone" is stenciled on both walkway approaches, at both ends, on an open grate over the River :-D.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

cl94

Brooklyn Bridge (NY)
Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls, NY/ON)
Walkway Over the Hudson (NY)
Harvard Bridge (Boston, MA)
Purple People Bridge (OH/KY)
High Line (NY)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Mohkfry

I walked on the IN-912 (Cline Avenue) bridge back in 2011-12 before it was demolished. It was a bridge I crossed many times as a kid and I thought I'd go on it one last time before it was demolished.

Jardine

Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge

several downtown Chicago bascules

Hwy 101 spans from Santa Ynez River after their move to western Iowa

'Smoot' Bridge in Boston (sorry, don't recall the actual name)

John Kerry pedestrian bridge during the 2011 flood

Downtown Racine Wisconsin bascule

Medford Bridge, Harrison county

All the skew trusses on Buffalo Road, Sarpy County Nebraska

Wagon Wheel Bridge, Boone Iowa 

vtk

Quote from: Jardine on October 07, 2015, 11:29:32 PM
'Smoot' Bridge in Boston (sorry, don't recall the actual name)

I've walked halfway across that one, with my mom and boyfriend, then we returned from whence we came.  We were worried about possibly missing the last outbound Green Line train back to our Park & Ride.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Jardine

I walked it around 1977.  Can't remember if it was marked then (I think it was) but I had a local with me who enthusiastically related the Smoot saga.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Jardine on October 07, 2015, 11:29:32 PM'Smoot' Bridge in Boston (sorry, don't recall the actual name)

Harvard Bridge is the name.  Many locals seem to think that name applies instead to the Anderson Bridge at Harvard Square, but it does not.

The only bridge I think I've walled across that can't normally be crossed on foot is the Zakim Bridge, two or three times prior to its opening (once on one of the scheduled tours that also went inside the southbound tunnel).

cl94

Quote from: Jardine on October 08, 2015, 12:32:15 AM
I walked it around 1977.  Can't remember if it was marked then (I think it was) but I had a local with me who enthusiastically related the Smoot saga.

What's funny now is that the contraction joints on the bridge sidewalk are set at one Smoot intervals.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jbnati27

Taylor-Southgate bridge (Cincinnati/Newport KY)
Newport Southbank a.k.a. Purple People bridge (Cincinnati/Newport KY)
John A. Roebling suspension bridge (Cincinnati/Covington KY)
Clay Wade Bailey bridge (Cincinnati/Covington KY)
Stonelick Williams Corner covered bridge (Stonelick Twp, Clermont Co OH)
Fort Duquesne Bridge (Pittsburgh)
Mile High Swinging Bridge (Grandfather Mountain, NC)
White Mills bridge (Hardin Co. KY)

mwb1848

I recently ran across the US 90 bridge between Biloxi and Ocean Springs, Mississippi.

I walk frequently across the Santa Fe Street/Paso del Norte Bridge between Downtown El Paso and Downtown Juárez. Interestingly, it still has the street car tracks from the transnational street car line which used to run between the two cities. Work is just beginning on a project to revive the Downtown El Paso-UT El Paso portion. (Phase II includes connecting Downtown and the Texas Tech University Medical Center; Phase III would connect El Paso and Juarez.)

I recently also biked across the Bridge of the Americas, which connects I-110 to Avénida de las Américas in Juárez.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.