News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Improvements Planned for I-70 in SW PA

Started by PAHighways, August 02, 2011, 06:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

They've got new Street View from a few months ago along I-70 showing the New Stanton reconstruction completed.

Interestingly, I notice that the eastbound exit to continue on I-70 onto the Turnpike is now numbered Exit 58. Previously both it and the "through" movement to 119/66 were unnumbered. They also forgot the "INTERSTATE" for the I-76 shield and didn't put a yellow "TOLL" banner over the Turnpike 66 shield. I don't think any of the signs approaching the trumpet from the 119/66 cloverleaf were replaced or changed besides the advance sign for the new local Exit 57.

They also used an... interesting method of indicating that roundabout traffic doesn't yield. You could say it isn't a full roundabout, but the one on the other side is and it also has these signs below the yield signs.

All the signage is in Clearview, though it's been completed for about a year. I suppose holdovers from older designs were more likely at that point.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 09, 2018, 11:45:26 AM
Interestingly, I notice that the eastbound exit to continue on I-70 onto the Turnpike is now numbered Exit 58. Previously both it and the "through" movement to 119/66 were unnumbered. They also forgot the "INTERSTATE" for the I-76 shield and didn't put a yellow "TOLL" banner over the Turnpike 66 shield. I don't think any of the signs approaching the trumpet from the 119/66 cloverleaf were replaced or changed besides the advance sign for the new local Exit 57.
It seems like the through movement should really be signed with the exit number there. I can see not using the "Toll" banner because this stretch isn't tolled - Turnpike 43 and the "free" sections of the WV Turnpike similarly omit Toll banners on free stretches. This really should be To 119 and To 66, though.

They also used an... interesting method of indicating that roundabout traffic doesn't yield. You could say it isn't a full roundabout, but the one on the other side is and it also has these signs below the yield signs.
PennDOT commonly uses this plaque on multiway stops. Can't say I've seen it used on a roundabout before, but roundabouts are rare in western Pennsylvania.

Roadsguy

Fix your quote!
Quote from: Bitmapped on October 10, 2018, 11:27:39 PM
It seems like the through movement should really be signed with the exit number there. I can see not using the "Toll" banner because this stretch isn't tolled - Turnpike 43 and the "free" sections of the WV Turnpike similarly omit Toll banners on free stretches. This really should be To 119 and To 66, though.
Oh yeah, I did forget that 66 isn't tolled until after the first exit.

I suppose they could pull an NCDOT and sign it as "North PA Turnpike 66 To Toll PA Turnpike 66" :pan:

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 10, 2018, 11:27:39 PM
PennDOT commonly uses this plaque on multiway stops. Can't say I've seen it used on a roundabout before, but roundabouts are rare in western Pennsylvania.

It's a newer MUTCD thing, though I'm not sure if all the states have been quick to implement it.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PAHighways

Some pictures I took of current and past work in Westmoreland County:

PA 31 Cloverleaf

New Stanton Interchange

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.