News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How many states have a place called "[State Name] City, [State Name]"?

Started by KCRoadFan, February 27, 2024, 11:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2024, 08:55:42 PMMexico, DF in Mexico. 

It is not Mexico City, but the City of Mexico as it's called Mexico City only to avoid ambiguity with the nation.

BTW DF is Districto Federal translated to Federal District in English. Just like the US, Mexico has states and a capital that's not in a state jurisdiction. Instead of DC it's DF, but both are districts for sake of government.

The first time I saw "D.F." on a map, I was a kid and the map didn't extend as far south as Mexico City. It cut off around Monterrey and one of the roads had an arrow next to it with the words "Mexico City D.F." As a kid, I had no idea what that meant. I concluded it must have meant "down further" because the arrow was pointing down off the bottom of the map.  :spin:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.