Which would you rather have....

Started by Mergingtraffic, June 20, 2009, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

There aew quite a few design options out there for roads and highways....so, which would you rather have a moderately to highly traveled roads?

A tight (small turn radius) trumpet interchange or a left exit with a straighter curve?

A wider expressway (10-12 lanes) or a 3-2-2-3 or similiar configuration?

An 4-lane road with a two-way left turn lane or specific turn lane that switches for every driveway (would probably be madning for those who have to repaint the lines)?

A 3-lane road with a center turn lane or a 4-lane roadway with no turn lane?

Stoplights with a protected left turn arrow or an arrow at the beginning or end of the green cycle?

A turn arrow at the beginning of the green cycle or the end of the green cycle?

Partially controlled access highway with left turn bays or Michigan lefts?

Anything else?
Answers?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Michael

Quote from: doofy103 on June 20, 2009, 09:03:11 PM
A tight (small turn radius) trumpet interchange or a left exit with a straighter curve?
A flyover ramp that exits from the right (ex.: NY 695 North to I-690 West near Syracuse, NY)

An 4-lane road with a two-way left turn lane or specific turn lane that switches for every driveway (would probably be madning for those who have to repaint the lines)?
Shared turn lane.  Sometimes, driveways are too close together to safely switch the center lane.  Some driveways are even directly across from each other!  (ex.: NY 5/Grant Ave in Auburn, NY)

Revive 755

Quote from: doofy103A 3-lane road with a center turn lane or a 4-lane roadway with no turn lane?
Depends how often and how long I have to sit behind someone making a left turn.  Some places though, such as a two way outer road, the four lane would work better with large right turn volumes.

Quote from: doofy103Stoplights with a protected left turn arrow or an arrow at the beginning or end of the green cycle?

Assuming this is protected only vs. protected-permissive, it varies with the opposing traffic volume and signal setup.  At least in Missouri there are quite a few irritating protected only turns with great visibility that have one sitting needlessly while the opposing lanes are empty, such as on MO 141, since MoDOT criteria has roads with a speed limit over 45 or three or more opposing lanes mostly having protected only turns.  Yet in Nebraska there are protected-permissive turns on the 60 mph four lane section of US 34 west of I-180, on US 77 south of I-80, and a six lane section of US 34 in Lincoln also has the same setup.  I also can find a few six lane roads in St. Louis City with protected-permissive turns.

Quote from: doofy103Partially controlled access highway with left turn bays or Michigan lefts?
Depends upon the frequency of the left turn bays.  There was a road in some city I can't recall at the moment where I would prefer Michigan lefts since the left turn bays were so constant that it was close to a shared center turn lane.

Quote from: doofy103Anything else?

Lots of possibilities here:

How about having one 12 lane freeway or two parallel 6 lane freeways?

One way or two way outer roads?

SPUI or partial cloverleaf?

A slow but direct route with many uncoordinated stoplights - assuming you'll hit 85% of them red - or a high speed non-stop route that is less direct, assuming they both take the same amount of time to traverse?

agentsteel53

two-lane frontage roads are just damn unintuitive.  Especially when the opposing lane has to yield to freeway off-ramp traffic!  If someone takes the off-ramp gore-splatteringly late (as drivers tend to do), it's time to slam the brakes because they have right of way and they ain't stopping.

also, frontage roads need to have more frequent speed limit signs.  I once did about 15 miles of I-27 frontage road in Texas at 70mph, figuring that the only speed limit sign I saw was applicable.  Nope, speed limit was 40 when I came to town.  "I'm sorry officer, but the first speed limit sign I've seen since Lubbock is ... that one off in the distance that I can't quite read yet!  You mean that doesn't say 70?"
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

akotchi

A wider expressway (10-12 lanes) or a 3-2-2-3 or similiar configuration?

A 3-lane road with a center turn lane or a 4-lane roadway with no turn lane?

Stoplights with a protected left turn arrow or an arrow at the beginning or end of the green cycle?

Dual-dual configuration, definitely

From a safety perspective, the three-lane center left turn lane option is preferred, especially if there is a large number of streets/driveways.  My experience is that a four-lane, no left turn lane configuration has the most potential for crashes.

Protected left turn arrow at the beginning.  With the propensity of red-light runners, this is the better scenario for me.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.