News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is Your States Most Famous Route?

Started by silverback1065, October 24, 2021, 11:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

^^^

It even wasn't much of a show.  They just lazily tossed fish around while shouting "fish"  a couple times.  I expected a manic disassembly of the fish possibly laced with a cocaine addiction.

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 24, 2022, 05:26:55 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 23, 2022, 03:43:02 PM
The only reason I had to see Pike Place is due to the insanity of the FISH video that used to be popular with Human Resource types.  Sadly the reality of Pike Place doesn't match up to the cheerful madness of FISH.

I remember seeing that and thinking it was so stupid I looked it up after I got home. I found a video where some random person found one of the guys in the FISH video at work and asked him about whether his job was actually like that, and the guy basically said the producers took them being silly at work out of context and spun an entire web of HR nonsense around it that didn't actually have anything to do with the way they actually did business at Pike Place.

Apparently the FISH! (I forgot the exclamation point above) starter kit can be had for the low, low prices of only $800:

https://www.fishphilosophy.com/product/fish-starter-kit/

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2022, 07:47:03 AM
^^^

It even wasn't much of a show.  They just lazily tossed fish around while shouting "fish"  a couple times.  I expected a manic disassembly of the fish possibly laced with a cocaine addiction.

The only reason I had to see Pike Place is due to the insanity of the FISH video that used to be popular with Human Resource types.  Sadly the reality of Pike Place doesn't match up to the cheerful madness of FISH.

I remember seeing that and thinking it was so stupid I looked it up after I got home. I found a video where some random person found one of the guys in the FISH video at work and asked him about whether his job was actually like that, and the guy basically said the producers took them being silly at work out of context and spun an entire web of HR nonsense around it that didn't actually have anything to do with the way they actually did business at Pike Place.

Apparently the FISH! (I forgot the exclamation point above) starter kit can be had for the low, low prices of only $800:

I recall the point was to have fun at work, because even though nobody wants to be there, but we're all in it together...For the paycheck.

- Your mileage may vary whether you can have "fun" at work, or even permitted to.
- How much fun you're having might be linked to how little you're making. Better to do what you like.
- "Fun" sometimes gets dragged down by whomever the lowest common denominator is at your workplace.

Either that, or it was about bringing your own tuna at work, I haven't seen it in a while.

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on August 24, 2022, 09:28:38 AM
^^^

I recall the point was to have fun at work, because even though nobody wants to be there, but we're all in it together...For the paycheck.

- Your mileage may vary whether you can have "fun" at work, or even permitted to.
- How much fun you're having might be linked to how little you're making. Better to do what you like.
- "Fun" sometimes gets dragged down by whomever the lowest common denominator is at your workplace.

Either that, or it was about bringing your own tuna at work, I haven't seen it in a while.
Is it still fun if your boss is telling you to do it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on August 24, 2022, 09:33:57 AM
Quote from: formulanone on August 24, 2022, 09:28:38 AM
^^^

Is it still fun if your boss is telling you to do it?

Yes, the name for that is "forced fun."  

The only other HR program I encountered that was more nutty than FISH! was the Sowing The Seeds Of Culture training at Sears.  Said training culminated with the four piece silent square which actually led to some workplace fights.  Basically the silent square had to be assembled using no verbal or non-verbal communication.  Apparently the end goal was supposed to teach you about teamwork.  Sears eventually issued a recall of training materials and destroyed most of them.  I found a Sowing The Seeds pin on eBay last year and have it on my office cork board.

Scott5114

I've found that the amount they try to astroturf a "company culture" into place is proportional to the number of managers trying to destroy the culture that the business naturally wants to have. The result ends up being very reminiscent of a homeowner battling weeds on their lawn–they want plants there but not those plants! It's also especially funny when HR lurches from one culture program to another trying desperately to find one that works, usually completely undermining all of the principles of the one they last tried.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

I've observed really much of the same.  Usually HR and corporate types have a pie in the sky vision of what goes on at their operating units versus what reality actually is.  In what I do there is usually similar shock when I tell a corporate person that a policy or safety program isn't being followed to the letter in corporate policy. 

The difference between working in a corporate office and the field is vast.  Having worked in both my observation is most corporate office types have very little idea what goes on beyond at operating units aside from the polished turd version they see on announced visits.  Once something comes up that goes against the grain with corporate policy there is usually some sort blanket training that comes out. 

pderocco

(BTW, I recall seeing fish in flight at Pike Place back in the 1990s. That was a thing.)

I think NH-112 is moderately famous, as the Kancamagus Highway.

US-101 in NoCal is called the Redwood Highway, which I had heard of long before I had even been to California because it has the tallest trees in the world.

The Grand Army of the Republic Highway is US-6. If you've lived around it in one state, you probably know it goes all the way across country.

US-50 in Nevada has the unofficial but famous name, "The Loneliest Road in the Country". (Which it's not.)

AK-11 is famous as the Dalton Highway.

Most of these aren't in "my state", but the fact that I've heard of them is a smidgen of evidence that they're famous.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on August 25, 2022, 02:40:18 PM
(BTW, I recall seeing fish in flight at Pike Place back in the 1990s. That was a thing.)

Maybe the version I'm seeing is the post FISH! apathetic version of the Pike Place fish toss.

MATraveler128

Another one for Massachusetts.

MA 2 Mohawk Trail
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Road Hog

ARDOT has pushed to make US 61 a major highway through the link to history of musicians like Johnny Cash, but I think AR 7 is still the most popular highway because of its scenery. Still see a ton of Texas tags on that road.

kirbykart

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 25, 2022, 03:00:13 PM
Another one for Massachusetts.

MA 2 Mohawk Trail
Yep, that's also my favorite route!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.