News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which jurisdictions have license plate/toll agreements?

Started by andrepoiy, August 26, 2022, 10:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Given that more and more states are moving towards pay-by-plate, which jurisdictions have agreements with one another?

For example, I know that Ontario and New York now have an agreement for Ontario drivers on Thruway (pay-by-plate) and other tolled roads in NY, as I got a bill from them recently.

Back in 2018, the Massachusetts Turnpike did not send me a bill using pay-by-plate.

So the question is, which jurisdictions have an agreement (and which don't?)

TheHighwayMan3561

I get the sense that as pay-by-plate has spread to numerous states and been streamlined, the old early-days patchwork of agreements and whatnot where you may or may not get a bill is largely a thing of the past, and in 2022 you can pretty much expect a toll authority to be able to track you down regardless of where you live. I got bills from NY and MA in short order from my trip out there this past spring, and did get one from FDOT after 8 months following a 2019 trip.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

oscar

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 27, 2022, 01:42:31 AM
I get the sense that as pay-by-plate has spread to numerous states and been streamlined, the old early-days patchwork of agreements and whatnot where you may or may not get a bill is largely a thing of the past, and in 2022 you can pretty much expect a toll authority to be able to track you down regardless of where you live.

Not been my experience, with unbilled (for several months or even longer) pay-by-plate tolls from Texas, Oklahoma, and Ontario. But most of my recent toll road/bridge travels have been in E-ZPass territory (which now includes FL, and has long included NY and MA), charged directly to my transponder, or on non-pay-by-plate facilities (like the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit to Windsor ON) where I paid cash.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

GaryV

We got a bill for the 407 (ON) back before COVID, so MI must participate even though we have no pay by plate facilities.

Ted$8roadFan

I also drove the ON-407 a few years ago and don't recall receiving a bill. I guess not every state has an agreement with Ontario.

SectorZ

Quote from: GaryV on August 27, 2022, 06:17:00 AM
We got a bill for the 407 (ON) back before COVID, so MI must participate even though we have no pay by plate facilities.

That's kind of crazy if Michigan gains nothing from it.

Like Connecticut (for now) has no tolls, and has no agreement with Massachusetts for exchanging info, meaning plenty of Connecticut drivers drive the Mass Pike for free due to it. Connecticut has nothing to gain from doing so.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: GaryV on August 27, 2022, 06:17:00 AM

I got a bill from them as well (this was before COVID), so Indiana must've participated with the E407.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.