News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

OR 380 now nearly completely signed

Started by xonhulu, July 11, 2011, 11:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I finally had time to drive the length of OR 380 after discovering a new reassurance marker at its western end, and was pleased to see the route signed in multiple locations.  Here's the new signage, from west to east:

Always great to see a new route properly signed, although there is still no indication of OR 380 at its junction with US 26.

Plus, as a bonus, I spotted this really goofy-looking US 97 near Smith Rock:

Probably from the Deschutes County sign shop as it is posted on a county road some distance from US 97.

agentsteel53

I definitely recognize that house, and that shield certainly wasn't there.  In fact I don't think the guide sign gantry was there in general!

I believe I have a photo of that house with no post at all in front of it.

I missed these new signs by a matter of days.  
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Holy crap. That US 97 really needs a facelift.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CL

Infrastructure. The city.

xonhulu

Here's a couple other photos of note: I believe this mileage sign at the very eastern end of 380 was also new, I certainly don't remember it:

State maintenance ends at that bridge visible in the background, just east of Paulina.  There's no "END" sign; in fact, the only indication of the beginning of OR 380 is this sign just east of that bridge heading west:

In the background, you can just about see where OR 380 climbs the small hill; that's about where the first westbound 380 shield was posted (the last of the photos above).

I probably would have also shot a photo of that old house even without the shield in front, it was pretty cool looking,

agentsteel53

I wonder if the route to John Day is now clearly labeled.  I did not see any signs with Izee or John Day on them.  And of course I got badly, badly lost.

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 12, 2011, 12:01:52 AM
I wonder if the route to John Day is now clearly labeled.  I did not see any signs with Izee or John Day on them.  And of course I got badly, badly lost.

Jake, got lost? Never! :-P :-D

agentsteel53

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 12, 2011, 12:05:13 AM

Jake, got lost? Never! :-P :-D

it does not help that my GPS labeled a critical connector as paved when it was, in reality, dirt - and, given the weather conditions, mud.  note to self: get a more accurate map.

jake@aaroads.com

drummer_evans_aki

I should drive that route just for fun. But why do they end the highway in the middle of nowhere when they can extend the road to US-395? The mileage sign does list John Day as the control point.

Unless there's a stretch of dirt road that I don't know of. Never driven it.
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

xonhulu

Quote from: drummer_evans_aki on August 13, 2011, 12:22:41 AM
I should drive that route just for fun. But why do they end the highway in the middle of nowhere when they can extend the road to US-395? The mileage sign does list John Day as the control point.

Unless there's a stretch of dirt road that I don't know of. Never driven it.

Paved all the way to 395.  Just don't make a wrong turn.  It is a fun drive, too.

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on August 13, 2011, 12:34:48 AM

Paved all the way to 395.  Just don't make a wrong turn.  It is a fun drive, too.

hopefully they made the navigation a bit easier since I tried it in late May.  I made the wrong turn.  I found myself on a dirt road in a pouring rain, and did the 83 miles back to Prine as opposed to risking running out of gas or sliding into a ditch many miles from civilization.

it was a fun drive - someday I'd really like to complete it successfully from Prine to John Day!

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Man, that 97 shield is horrible. And it somehow managed to combined a Series E(M) "9" with a Series D "7." Maybe one of the worst shields I've ever seen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.