News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Various Mt Rainier signage

Started by xonhulu, August 19, 2011, 12:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

Went up to Mt Rainier NP a couple of days ago.  Besides managing to dodge a lot of road construction in the vicinity (being thankful I wasn't going over White Pass on US 12, as it's undergoing major reconstruction), I snapped a few road-related pics.

First, I finally saw the US 123 sign goofs reported on here, at the access road to Ohanapecosh campground:

Further north, there is another just south of the junction with WA 410:

However, heading north on WA 123 just before this junction, you'll also encounter this sign goof:

US 410 lives again!

Finally, I encountered two signs on WA 706 west of the park with this odd combination of information:

I mean, I see why the narrow shoulders make this an issue, but it seems you should be wary of these hazards regardless.  And by the way, the shoulders really weren't that narrow; Washington seems to have higher standards for shoulder width than my state of Oregon does.

Still a lot of snow at Mt Rainier, which made for some interesting hiking.  But all in all, a great little day trip.

nexus73

Chris, the first two pix make me think what an Interstate in Munchkinland would look like...LOL!  I have not seen such a narrow divided road since I was in Riverside, which had a spectacular setup on Victoria Avenue.  Do you have any idea what the story behind this road's layout is?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

xonhulu

Quote from: nexus73 on August 19, 2011, 12:45:33 PM
Chris, the first two pix make me think what an Interstate in Munchkinland would look like...LOL!  I have not seen such a narrow divided road since I was in Riverside, which had a spectacular setup on Victoria Avenue.  Do you have any idea what the story behind this road's layout is?

All the sign goofs are on park roadways, so there's probably been some effort at landscaping for that classy "park look."  The first two 123's are on either side of a left-turn refuge lane for the Ohanapecosh area, so the medians are there for that.

They also have cool gateway arches at all park entrances.  The neatest one, at Chinook Pass on WA 410, which you can actually walk across on the PCT, is being rebuilt, but here's the one south of Ohanapecosh:

And I guess I should post a pic or two or three of the mountain itself:

Ian

LOVE those mountain photos! Looks like you had a fun time!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

Heh, those are from just the last couple years- circa May 2008 this was what it looked like:

was

and

was

Is this somewhat unnecessary TO 706 trailblazer still there?

xonhulu

Quote from: corco on August 19, 2011, 07:16:20 PM
Is this somewhat unnecessary TO 706 trailblazer still there?

Yes, still there.  I was actually harboring the faint hope I'd see a US 706 sign goof, but I figured it'd be unlikely since WA 706 doesn't enter the park.

drummer_evans_aki

Love the sign goofs and I love hanging out at Mount Rainier.
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.