News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OR 130 joins the ranks of signed Oregon routes

Started by xonhulu, November 27, 2011, 06:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I took a little detour today en route to Lincoln City to see if my suspicions about OR 130 being signed on the Little Nestucca Highway were true, and I was rewarded to see it was -- barely!

There were exactly 2 OR 130 shields, one at each end.  However, since the entire highway is only a little over 9 miles long with only 1 actual junction with a substantial other road, I guess it really doesn't need many reassurance markers.

Here's the only eastbound shield, a couple hundred feet from its western beginning on US 101:

And here's the only other 130 shield, at its eastern end on OR 22 at a place called Dolph Jct:

Both are 2-digit shields for a 3-digit route, but some ODOT regions are still doing this; for instance, some of the newest route markers on OR 282 look like this.

Ironically, the thing I saw about 3 weeks ago that made me wonder if the route was about to be signed was that they'd removed the guide signage from southbound 101 both approaching and at the jct with 130, possibly in anticipation of new signs indicating 130.  However, there still weren't any signs up on southbound 101, and northbound 101 still had the older signs saying simply "Little Nestucca River Hwy."  So there is probably more to come. 

Still, good to see another post-2002 Route finally signed.  It only took them 8 or so years to put up two shields!  OR 130 has been shown on the official Oregon State Highway map for the last two years, so I wondered if that was a sign it would be marked on the ground.  If it was, then good news for OR 540, OR 350, OR 370, and OR 372, which are also on the map but AFAIK not signed yet on the ground.  (In fact, I didn't even know OR 372 was an official route!)

nexus73

None of the state routes in Coos or Curry County have been signed.  Can't expect much out of these bureaucrats even when one gives them multiple years to do something as small as put up some route markers.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

OCGuy81

Was 2002 a year when Oregon decided to sign more of her routes?  Or were highways added?  I see this mentioned a lot.  Apologies if this has been asked before.

xonhulu

Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 29, 2011, 09:58:53 AM
Was 2002 a year when Oregon decided to sign more of her routes?  Or were highways added?  I see this mentioned a lot.  Apologies if this has been asked before.

Oregon has always had a number of highways that were state-maintained, but were not given route numbers until 2002-2003, when they decided to make these official routes.  However, most of these still haven't been actually signed on the ground with the state route shield 8 years later.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

OCGuy81

sp_redelectric

OR 551 finally has a BGS on its exit off of I-5 as part of the I-5 sign replacement project.

Down the road, Donald is no longer mentioned on any sign.  The "Donald/Aurora" exit has become the "Ehlen Road/Aurora" Exit.

sp_redelectric

And, shockingly, the sign is correct!!!  There are STILL some new-install Oregon 99E markers in the Salem area that have the shield upside down (seems like the sign contractor hails from California with a lot of CalTrans spec stuff despite being 250 miles from the border).

xonhulu

I saw that OR 551 BGS last weekend.  Nice to see that the route is getting a little more exposure for I-5 traffic than the previous assembly:

I'm pretty sure this shield is still in place.  I never understood the need for the "TO" banner; if you take this exit, you are on OR 551!  The new sign you mentioned replaced the "Canby/Hubbard" BGS visible in the background of this photo, right?

So 551 finally got onto a BGS.  They also replaced the overheads at both Jefferson Highway exits down here as part of this project, but none of those mention the still-unsigned OR 164.  I've been meaning to email the project manager and ask about this, but haven't gotten to it.

I saw that the Ehlen Road signage had changed, but I didn't pay enough attention to see if there was any secondary signage mentioning Donald.  It's a decent-sized town, not far off the freeway, so it would be strange that it gets no mention at all.  Also, seems to me more traffic takes Ehlen Rd. to get to Newberg, not Aurora, so I'm not sure Aurora is the best choice as the destination city for that exit.

And don't get me started on those 99E shields; they're all over the place down here, and I cringe every time I see one!

agentsteel53

Quote from: sp_redelectric on December 01, 2011, 11:25:58 PM
(seems like the sign contractor hails from California with a lot of CalTrans spec stuff despite being 250 miles from the border).

are they responsible for the occasional cutout Oregon state route marker?  now if only they'd make some state-named interstate shields.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: sp_redelectric on December 01, 2011, 11:25:58 PM
There are STILL some new-install Oregon 99E markers in the Salem area that have the shield upside down (seems like the sign contractor hails from California with a lot of CalTrans spec stuff despite being 250 miles from the border).

It always looked to me like they're not so much upside-down Oregon route shields as they are ovals:

In which case, they're completely the wrong shape.  What do they think this is, New Jersey?

sp_redelectric

Quote from: xonhulu on December 02, 2011, 12:24:27 AMThey also replaced the overheads at both Jefferson Highway exits down here as part of this project, but none of those mention the still-unsigned OR 164.  I've been meaning to email the project manager and ask about this, but haven't gotten to it.

I wish ODOT would just route 99E onto the Jefferson Highway.  It is the historical route of 99E after all.  I wish I had photos of it but for a few years in Jefferson city there were errorenous 99E route signs posted as part of a new traffic signal installation.  They have all since been removed.

Quote from: xonhulu on December 02, 2011, 12:24:27 AMI saw that the Ehlen Road signage had changed, but I didn't pay enough attention to see if there was any secondary signage mentioning Donald.  It's a decent-sized town, not far off the freeway, so it would be strange that it gets no mention at all.  Also, seems to me more traffic takes Ehlen Rd. to get to Newberg, not Aurora, so I'm not sure Aurora is the best choice as the destination city for that exit.

I couldn't find a secondary sign for Donald...unless it just isn't installed yet.  I believe Newberg is listed on a secondary sign for at least northbound traffic (combined with Champoeg State Park); Newberg is also the control city listed for exit 294 (southbound) up in Tigard (however the BGSes on 217 omit Newberg and replace it with McMinnville...why the inconsistency?  McMinnville doesn't even have any sign for northbound I-5 traffic; yet it's over 10,000 population larger than Newberg AND is the county seat of Yamhill County.)

Sadly...even in downtown Salem, the signs for the Marion Street Bridge for OR 221 mention Dayton and not McMinnville.  Granted Dayton is at the northern end of 221, but McMinnville is only 30 times larger than Dayton - and it's a much shorter distance to take 221/153/154 than to take 22 to Rickreall and then 99W.

xonhulu

Quote from: sp_redelectric on December 03, 2011, 03:10:50 AM
I wish ODOT would just route 99E onto the Jefferson Highway.  It is the historical route of 99E after all.  I wish I had photos of it but for a few years in Jefferson city there were errorenous 99E route signs posted as part of a new traffic signal installation.  They have all since been removed.

There's a business in Jefferson called something like "99 market," but that is a very old reference, since 99E has bypassed Jefferson since the 50's.

The biggest problem with making that highway 99E, IMO, would be that you'd have 99E leaving I-5 on the north end of the Jefferson Hwy, rejoining I-5 south of Jefferson, only to leave it again just a couple miles further south in Albany.  Maybe BUS 99E would be more appropriate, but that seems silly for what's mostly a rural road.  So maybe having its own designation of OR 164 works best.  Mixed feelings on my part -- while I'd love to see recognition of a historic stretch of 99E, I can see the drawbacks of that.

The redesignation I'd like to see is BUS 99E in Salem.  It doesn't actually connect to 99E on the north end, and its duplex with 22 on the south end just seems unnecessary.  I understand the history of why ODOT pulled it off city-maintained Commercial St. on the south end when they moved the route designation from Portland Rd onto the Salem Parkway on the north end (bad blood between the agency and the city, as it was explained to me), but that would've actually been the routing that made sense.  Now, I just think the Salem Parkway should have its own route number (probably OR 72, its hidden hwy #) and just end at OR 22 downtown.  Either that, or make it an extension of OR 51, although that would also require a duplex with OR 22.

QuoteI couldn't find a secondary sign for Donald...unless it just isn't installed yet.  I believe Newberg is listed on a secondary sign for at least northbound traffic (combined with Champoeg State Park); Newberg is also the control city listed for exit 294 (southbound) up in Tigard (however the BGSes on 217 omit Newberg and replace it with McMinnville...why the inconsistency?  McMinnville doesn't even have any sign for northbound I-5 traffic; yet it's over 10,000 population larger than Newberg AND is the county seat of Yamhill County.)

Wow, that is inconsistent.  It would be nice if they extended Ehlen Rd (which by this time has turned into McKay Rd) west to a new Willamette River crossing and tied it into OR 18 near Dayton to create a direct I-5-McMinnville connection, but I suppose the Newberg-Dundee Bypass would be close enough if it ever got built.

As far as Donald and other destinations, it's very likely more signage might be on the way.  It looked to me that there was work about to start on erecting another advance BGS for either the Charbonneau or OR 551 exit (or both) just south of the Wilsonville bridge on I-5, for instance, so it's possible they might plan another for the Ehlen Rd exit, as well.

QuoteSadly...even in downtown Salem, the signs for the Marion Street Bridge for OR 221 mention Dayton and not McMinnville.  Granted Dayton is at the northern end of 221, but McMinnville is only 30 times larger than Dayton - and it's a much shorter distance to take 221/153/154 than to take 22 to Rickreall and then 99W.

Most traffic between Salem and McMinnville already takes the 221/153/154 routing, so people realize your point without the signage.  I think the signs were just replaced as part of the repaving they're doing on 22, but I can't recall if the new signs mention McMinnville, either.  I've always wondered why ODOT has yet to sign the latter 2 highways (153/154) when they're already being used so heavily for that regional traffic, but obviously the lack of state route signs hasn't hindered the use of those routes.

xonhulu

Quote from: xonhulu on December 03, 2011, 01:02:46 PM
I think the signs were just replaced as part of the repaving they're doing on 22, but I can't recall if the new signs mention McMinnville, either.  I've always wondered why ODOT has yet to sign the latter 2 highways (153/154) when they're already being used so heavily for that regional traffic, but obviously the lack of state route signs hasn't hindered the use of those routes.

I drove through there today, and the new signs read "221 / Wallace Road / Dayton."  The secondary signage doesn't mention McMinnville, either.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: xonhulu on December 03, 2011, 01:02:46 PMIt would be nice if they extended Ehlen Rd (which by this time has turned into McKay Rd) west to a new Willamette River crossing and tied it into OR 18 near Dayton to create a direct I-5-McMinnville connection, but I suppose the Newberg-Dundee Bypass would be close enough if it ever got built.

I've thought of that too - it would require only 2.15 miles of new right-of-way, and use existing Riverwood Road (albeit significantly widened to state highway standards) to 99W.  ODOT/Marion County could do an easy jurisdictional swap - ODOT gets McKay/Yergen/Ehlen Road and Marion County would get the current route of 219 south/east of the new junction located north of St. Paul (St. Paul Highway, French Prairie Road, Newberg Highway).  Highway 18 would be extended all the way on this new route with a direct connection to I-5 and even to 551 and 99E; 219 would be truncated at the new junction with 18. 

Dougtone

Based on my photos from my trip down OR 22 to the Oregon Coast back in early August, it looks like preparations for signing OR 130 at its junction with OR 22 may have been in the works then.

xonhulu

Quote from: Dougtone on December 10, 2011, 06:24:14 AM
Based on my photos from my trip down OR 22 to the Oregon Coast back in early August, it looks like preparations for signing OR 130 at its junction with OR 22 may have been in the works then.

You might be right.  It was the signage on 101 being down when I drove through there 3 weeks earlier that made me suspect 130 was about to be signed.  That, and 130 having been shown on the official state highway map the previous 2 years.

xonhulu

Quote from: sp_redelectric on December 01, 2011, 11:19:52 PM
OR 551 finally has a BGS on its exit off of I-5 as part of the I-5 sign replacement project.

I got a chance to snap a picture of this BGS, as well as a brand-new advance sign that went up within the past week.  Unfortunately, traffic didn't really permit me to pull over and get clearer shots, and the lighting was poor.

nexus73

Chris, you did a fine job with the photo considering the conditions and being in a moving car.  I would have piled up the car and the only pix would be one of me being a mess along with the rig...LOL!

Thanks for posting it up.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

agentsteel53

the gantry in that last photo looks quite old.  good to see it still floating around.

too bad on the hideous neutered shields.  someone needs to give Oregon a swift kick in the pants area.

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 26, 2011, 10:36:21 AM
the gantry in that last photo looks quite old.  good to see it still floating around.

That is a beaut.  It's probably still around due to being on a lesser highway (99E).

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on December 26, 2011, 11:21:39 AM
Especially when they used to have it right.

I think they dropped state-named shields all around in 1974 or so.  there was a brief run of the more modern style of state-named interstate shield, but that's even harder to find than the '57 spec.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.