News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sad news from Eugene . . .

Started by xonhulu, May 05, 2012, 09:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special K

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 18, 2012, 03:08:59 PM
the reason Oregon switched away from cutouts in 1974 was to comply with the 1970 MUTCD.  boring.
Thank god California had the backbone to stand up to the federal MUTCD and keep their green cutout state route shields (and cutout US route shield?).  If California had complied, the route shield would have looked like an upside-down Oregon shield... very boring indeed!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Bickendan

California, pointing up to Oregon.

Oregon, pointing back down to California (and telling them to go back south!!!).

sp_redelectric

Right now Oregon doesn't know which way it's pointing...

Bickendan

If you're referring to those ugly OR 99E shields up on the MLK/Grand Viaduct, I'd agree.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Bickendan on June 20, 2012, 05:16:25 AM
If you're referring to those ugly OR 99E shields up on the MLK/Grand Viaduct, I'd agree.

Those ones, the ones in Salem, the ones in Albany...I think there's some even as far south as Harrisburg.  Fortunately it seems to be contained to 99E and hasn't spread to any other roads I'm aware of.

xonhulu

Quote from: sp_redelectric on June 21, 2012, 12:32:32 AM
Those ones, the ones in Salem, the ones in Albany...I think there's some even as far south as Harrisburg.  Fortunately it seems to be contained to 99E and hasn't spread to any other roads I'm aware of.

I thought I saw one on 99W in Tigard, but I'm not sure exactly where I thought I saw it.  I'll have to look again.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: xonhulu on June 21, 2012, 02:38:55 AMI thought I saw one on 99W in Tigard, but I'm not sure exactly where I thought I saw it.  I'll have to look again.

They've been replaced, quite thankfully.  They were at Hall Boulevard and installed as part of a widening/signal project over a year ago.

Thanks to that project, there's also several fewer annoying "Interstate 99W" signs that were installed by the city.  I cannot stand Tigard's sign shop, looking at a city spec sign makes me want to scream.

Bickendan

Now if only these sign shops were to screw up and make US 99[E/W] signs with these reconstruction projects, like they did on I-5 between Albany and south Salem about 15 years ago...

agentsteel53

or if they could accidentally make a state-named shield...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sp_redelectric

Or Oregon could install "Historic Route" signs, like are now installed on the Historic Columbia River Highway between Troutdale and Bonneville Dam.

Tarkus

Quote from: sp_redelectric on June 21, 2012, 10:52:12 PM
Thanks to that project, there's also several fewer annoying "Interstate 99W" signs that were installed by the city.  I cannot stand Tigard's sign shop, looking at a city spec sign makes me want to scream.

The fonts on Tigard's recent speed signs make my eyes bleed.  Did they hire a bunch of people from Yamhill County's sign department or something?

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Tarkus on June 23, 2012, 03:11:35 AMThe fonts on Tigard's recent speed signs make my eyes bleed.  Did they hire a bunch of people from Yamhill County's sign department or something?
My thoughts exactly.  Which is strange, Washington County has a decent sign shop.  So does Clackamas County.  Beaverton and Tualatin don't seem to have issues with their signs, but Tigard...................

Another great thing about Tigard is using non-reflective lettering on reflective sign blanks.  It's just great to look at a sign at night time and it's solid green.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.