News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

favorite freeway in Alaska

Started by NE2, May 01, 2012, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

I love Interstate A-4.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

I'm partial to the six-laner to Nome.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2012, 02:27:52 PM

The tunnel or the bridge?

no no, from Anchorage, not from Vladivostok.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

the one north from Anchorage to Wasila is pretty good

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Interestingly enough, there is an Interstate A4 in Alaska.  It is the secret designation for AK-3 between Palmer and Fairbanks.  So, technically, Interstate A4 does have portions built as freeway:

(1) Very briefly, where it enters Fairbanks, it widens from two lanes to a four-lane freeway, but then exits itself at the second interchange.

(2) At the south end, it is still freeway from AK-1 to Seward Meridian Pkwy.

You know you're a roadgeek if, I guess....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Taking the question seriously on its own merits (and not, as I assume the OP intended, as a potshot at the vapidity on other boards), I think the freeway portions of both the Glenn and Seward highways are pleasant if a little bland, with the Glenn edging the Seward in terms of scenery.  The Seward Highway is topographically interesting further south, a stretch that includes the foreshore of Turnagain Arm, but this part of it is not freeway.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Fcexpress80

Favorite freeway in AK:  Interstate A1 otherwise known as the Glenn Highway or AK-1 as it leaves Anchorage on its way to Palmer.  This is the only freeway of any real length in Alaska.  Alaska Interstate designations are not signed, alas.  If anything, this portion should be rewarded with Interstate signage, IMHO.

The Seward Highway freeway portion in Anchorage is a great Interstate standards highway, as it is the unsigned "Interstate A3."

Now, if Anchorage can just get proposed the missing link built between I-A1 and I-A3, we would have a decent through freeway in Alaska's largest city.

Minnesota Drive expressway is a nice freeway in sections.  Possible future I-A203?

Alps

Quote from: Fcexpress80 on June 23, 2012, 01:50:21 AM

Minnesota Drive expressway is a nice freeway in sections.  Possible future I-A203?
If it's not even a state highway now, I wouldn't look for it to become an Interstate later.

J N Winkler

Minnesota Drive is not a signed state route but I do not know for a fact that it is not state-maintained (Wikipedia says maintenance is shared by Alaska DOT and the Anchorage transportation department, but does not furnish a citation or elaborate as to status).  It is part of the NHS.

This said, I agree it is improbable that it would ever be designated or signed as an Interstate.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

rickmeck

I spent six weeks in Alaska earlier this year, and Minnesota Drive was one of the most well-kept and pleasurable drives in the city. Pity it won't ever be an interstate. It's much more designed to interstate standards it seems than a lot of actual interstate highways.

texaskdog

Anchorage is one of those cities with 2 major N/S roads so its pretty easy to get around...until you need to go E/W then its a nightmare.

....and I live in Austin...Anchorage was far worse, even 8 years ago.

Alps

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 29, 2012, 12:07:36 AM
Minnesota Drive is not a signed state route but I do not know for a fact that it is not state-maintained (Wikipedia says maintenance is shared by Alaska DOT and the Anchorage transportation department, but does not furnish a citation or elaborate as to status).  It is part of the NHS.

This said, I agree it is improbable that it would ever be designated or signed as an Interstate.
The state does maintain a lot of roads off the highway system. The "shared" thing sounds intriguing. I had been under the impression that the city created the freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.