Streets and highways with similar names confusingly close to each other

Started by Molandfreak, April 28, 2013, 03:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob60

To add to the mid mess in Nampa, I noticed this a couple days ago:

A building named Midway Plaza on Middleton Rd! Whoever named this building was either confused himself and thought it was on Midway, or he wanted to mess with people and confuse them (sounds like a bad business strategy).

WNYroadgeek

Bruce

The corner of Bellevue Avenue E, Bellevue Court E, and Bellevue Place E in Seattle, just a stone's throw from the city of Bellevue, Washington.

https://goo.gl/maps/zHgBr

(Source)

tchafe1978

In my little town of Belmont of about 900 people in southwest Wisconsin, there is a recurring theme that keeps popping up. The "main"  street (WI 126) is named Mound Ave. On the north end of town where a popular truck stop is located, in W. Mound View Ave.  A section of former US 151 before the new expressway was built is named Mound Avenue Rd. There are country roads in the same vicinity named East Mound Rd. and West Mound Rd. Then there is another Mound View Rd. Just outside of Platteville. Two guesses as to what these roads are all named after.

steviep24

In my area there's Elmgrove Dr., Elmgrove Park and Elmgrove Crossing. All are off of Elmgrove Rd. in Gates, NY

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the "Nexus of the Universe" which is First St. at First Ave. in Manhattan.  :sombrero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Z_AqaS3Ps

roadman65

Osceola County, FL had two Boggy Creek Road's intersecting each other.  Now one of them was renamed Simpson Road with another short segment renamed Fortune Road (both of which existed previously on spur alignments of the old Boggy Creek Road).

In Springfield, NJ you have two different Springfield Avenues that are connected via Miesel Avenue, but often to locals the Miesel Avenue connection is erroneously called Springfield Avenue as well.  To avoid confusion from the post office, one of the segments is called South Springfield Avenue and the other just plain ole Springfield Avenue.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Chris19001

Being lazy, I nominate the entire Salt Lake City street grid protruding from the Temple area.
The first time I was there I quickly realized how much attention you have to pay to the full address. :(

Rothman

Quote from: Chris19001 on September 08, 2015, 12:13:45 PM
Being lazy, I nominate the entire Salt Lake City street grid protruding from the Temple area.
The first time I was there I quickly realized how much attention you have to pay to the full address. :(

I'd agree with you about the avenues and other areas north of Temple Square (e.g., Ensign Peak), but the rest of the grid is as intuitive as it gets.  As long as you've got the address, you essentially have grid coordinates -- you can get there pretty much any way you'd like.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

One thing that I like is that Scotch Plains, NJ has Martine Avenue change names to Park Avenue in its Downtown area.  That is because the Borough of Fanwood is between the two segments of the same street.  So if its Park Avenue you know to look Downtown, if its Martine Avenue you know to look south of Fanwood.  Martine keeps its name in Fanwood, but at the re-entry going NB to Scotch Plains it totally changes.  So you have Martine start at Lake Avenue near the Clark- Scotch Plains border and continue through the residential areas of the township before entering Fanwood and keeping its name, and then becoming Park when Martine finally approaches the Downtown area of Scotch Plains.  If it were to remain Martine Avenue in both parts, that would create more confusion.

However, Scotch Plains does have an East Second Street and a West Broad Street, but they are not part of a grid but extensions of neighboring towns.  So you have East Second Street west of West Broad Street.  It happens a lot with one particular city having a N-S-E-W descriptor that continues its directional header into the next community, so North Broad Street in Elizabeth keeps the North header even in Hillside when in many places it would revert to its plain name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Chris19001

Quote from: Rothman on September 08, 2015, 12:45:35 PM
[As long as you've got the address, you essentially have grid coordinates -- you can get there pretty much any way you'd like.
Well it tripped me up as I figured W 5th turned into E 5th..  Rather than W, N, E, & W all living and intersecting with each other seemingly all over the place...  (but then I wasn't prepared at all for it so it was my fault) 

Mark68

In Parker, CO, there are no less than 15 streets that start with some version of Pine:

https://geographic.org/streetview/usa/co/parker.html

I live on one of them, and when I first moved to my apartment (which was a new complex), we couldn't order pizza from most places because our address was not updated in their database.

Note the intersection of Pine & Pine, which is a fairly major intersection on the east ridge. Pine Ln ends at Pine Dr at a 3-way stop.

https://goo.gl/maps/C6W1N5fa3xF2

Also, there are two Parker Roads in the area. The main N/S road in Parker, which is also State Highway 83, is Parker Rd. Mainstreet (one word) is the "main" E/W street, but east of the town limits, it's known as E Parker Rd.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

US 89

There are two Foothill Drives in Salt Lake City remarkably close to each other. The history, of course, is that they connected in the past. The main SW/NE Foothill Drive originally went directly northwest to end at Sunnyside, and there was no road to the north. When the connection to 500 South did open, it was viewed as an extension of Foothill Drive, and the name went along with it.

I think the city gets around this issue by designating the short N/S bit of the highway as 2100 East, so technically there is only one Foothill for a given latitude. But if you asked someone what that road was, I'd bet 99% of them would say Foothill. Also, the segment between Sunnyside and 500 South may officially be Foothill Boulevard, but I don't think anybody makes that distinction. In fact, the only signage on that segment using the "Boulevard" suffix is a sign at the entrance to the VA hospital.

A similar situation exists with Coors Blvd in Albuquerque, except the old road in that case has been renamed to Old Coors Drive.

And just a few miles to the north, at the north end of Coors Blvd, it splits into Coors Road and Coors By-Pass. Both of those suffixes are included on all street blades, which is rare to non-existent for that type of signage in Albuquerque.

DJ Particle

Not only do Minnehaha Ave and Minnehaha Pkwy intersect just north of Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis...but there's also a Minnehaha Ave in St. Paul!

djsekani

I'll add in an example close to home. In San Bernardino, Del Rosa Drive and Del Rosa Avenue are local roads that run parallel to each other with sometimes inconsistent signage. To make things more confusing, at one point Del Rosa Avenue actually turns into Del Rosa Drive.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ftballfan

Manistee and Eastlake have the following streets: 1st St, 2nd St, 3rd St, 4th St, 5th St, 6th St
Manistee and Stronach have the following streets: 1st Ave, 2nd Ave, 3rd Ave, 4th Ave, 5th Ave, 6th Ave

Manistee and Stronach share the same ZIP code (49660) while Eastlake is PO Box only (49626) and areas immediately outside the Eastlake village limits have the Manistee ZIP code. Stronach used to be 49681 years ago, but the Avenues in Stronach have higher house numbers than the Manistee Avenues.

Also:
Manistee proper has both Ramsdell St and Ramsdell Rd (however, they're on opposite sides of the city)
Manistee, Eastlake, and Stronach all have a street named Main St
Manistee and Eastlake both have a street named Division St

kphoger

Quote from: ftballfan on February 12, 2019, 10:07:04 AM
Manistee and Eastlake have the following streets: 1st St, 2nd St, 3rd St, 4th St, 5th St, 6th St
Manistee and Stronach have the following streets: 1st Ave, 2nd Ave, 3rd Ave, 4th Ave, 5th Ave, 6th Ave

Common.  Check out Manhattan, New York.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mark68

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2019, 01:23:28 PM

Or almost any town in Utah & southeastern Idaho.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

hotdogPi

Merrimack St. is the name of the street at the exit for both Exit 44 (in Lawrence) and Exit 46 (in Methuen; also Route 110) on I-495 in Massachusetts, although the Exit 46 sign does not contain the street name. People on the MVRTA bus system ask which bus goes to Merrimack St., and they usually mean the one in Lawrence, even though buses go to both. This is not a case of the one in Methuen exclusively being called "110", either; both the name and the number are used.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

skluth

Palm Springs has the grouping of West Palm Canyon Drive, East Palm Canyon Drive, and South Palm Canyon Drive. The main traffic flow is from East Palm Canyon to South Palm Canyon. About one mile north, South Palm Canyon turns into North Palm Canyon and runs parallel to Indian Canyon. Palm Canyon and Indian Canyon are parallel one-way streets running north-south through downtown.

Going north on Indian Canyon, there is this collection within five blocks while going through downtown - Arenas, Andreas, Amado, Alejo.

There are two consecutive I-10 exits for Date Palm Drive and Palm Drive. Palm Drive is the main N-S road in Desert Hot Springs. Date Palm Drive is the main N-S road through Cathedral City.

Calling any cul-de-sac off a street by the same name here is so common it's not worth talking about.

I also find the habit of naming streets with the full name of famous locals humorous. My route to/from Costco frequently involves taking Gerald Ford to Bob Hope to Dinah Shore. People don't shorten them to Ford, Hope, or Shore.

djsekani

Quote from: skluth on February 12, 2019, 03:12:28 PM
Palm Springs has the grouping of West Palm Canyon Drive, East Palm Canyon Drive, and South Palm Canyon Drive. The main traffic flow is from East Palm Canyon to South Palm Canyon. About one mile north, South Palm Canyon turns into North Palm Canyon and runs parallel to Indian Canyon. Palm Canyon and Indian Canyon are parallel one-way streets running north-south through downtown.

Going north on Indian Canyon, there is this collection within five blocks while going through downtown - Arenas, Andreas, Amado, Alejo.

There are two consecutive I-10 exits for Date Palm Drive and Palm Drive. Palm Drive is the main N-S road in Desert Hot Springs. Date Palm Drive is the main N-S road through Cathedral City.

Calling any cul-de-sac off a street by the same name here is so common it's not worth talking about.

I also find the habit of naming streets with the full name of famous locals humorous. My route to/from Costco frequently involves taking Gerald Ford to Bob Hope to Dinah Shore. People don't shorten them to Ford, Hope, or Shore.

Lived in Palm Springs for 15 years and never found anything really confusing other than Amado and Alejo. Took me forever to remember which one came before the other.

Rothman

Quote from: Mark68 on February 12, 2019, 01:36:09 PM

Nah.  The difference is that in the "Mormon grids" people refer to "1st East," "2nd North," etc.  It is actually quite intuitive.

In Queens, you say "19th" without a suffix like New Yorkers do, it could pertain to all sorts of streets
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on February 12, 2019, 05:47:42 PM
Quote from: Mark68 on February 12, 2019, 01:36:09 PM

Nah.  The difference is that in the "Mormon grids" people refer to "1st East," "2nd North," etc.  It is actually quite intuitive.

In Queens, you say "19th" without a suffix like New Yorkers do, it could pertain to all sorts of streets

Thing is, out-of-towners will come in and not realize that the directions actually mean something, and you really do need all four pieces of information in an address, in that order.

In Salt Lake at least (and probably elsewhere in the state, though other grids aren't usually big enough for this) locals will usually leave off the directional of nearby streets unless there's obvious ambiguity (like where 900 East and 900 South intersect). Plus, outside of any particular contexts, the directionals for major streets will often be left off. It's common to hear "7th", "114th", or "56th", and it's assumed they're talking about 700 East, 11400 South, 5600 West. Either the other streets with a matching coordinate number are relatively minor (like 700 W and 700 S), or they don't actually exist (there is no other 11400, for example).

Flint1979

US-24 and M-24 aren't too far apart in Michigan. The northern terminus of US-24 (yes northern since it curves in Toledo) is at exit 93 on I-75 and the southern terminus of M-24 is at exit 81 on I-75. M-75 and I-75 aren't real close to each other but not real far apart from each other either but aren't really confused with each other.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 12, 2019, 06:59:37 PM
US-24 and M-24 aren't too far apart in Michigan. The northern terminus of US-24 (yes northern since it curves in Toledo) is at exit 93 on I-75 and the southern terminus of M-24 is at exit 81 on I-75.

They used to connect in Pontiac.  Michigan in the early years extended a few US highways with the same numbered state highway.  24, 25, 112 and 131.  Interestingly enough, M-131 became an extension of US-131 when it was decided that US-131 would end in Petosky, not Traverse City.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.