News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Guess the exit number chal...
Last post by kirbykart - Today at 06:15:40 PM
Alright, here is my next one in New York:
Can you provide the text listed in the Facebook story? I don't have an account, and you would need an account to access it. Or can the plans be accessed somewhere else within the internet?
General Highway Talk / Re: Pretentious street names
Last post by kirbykart - Today at 06:07:00 PM
Billion Dollar Highway is just a random road in the middle of Amish country.
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by SectorZ - Today at 05:59:43 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on Today at 04:02:55 PMHaving control cities on a beltway is kind of tricky.  The signs from the Mass Pike to I-95/128 in Newton did used to say "POINTS NORTH" and "SOUTH SHORE".  Honestly, it made sense.  I-95/128 controls have been Braintree, Dedham, Waltham, Peabody, Gloucester.  Braintree was mostly phased out in favor of Boston, which may make sense from an interstate standpoint, but that's not necessarily where everyone's going.  "Mass Pike Points West" signs didn't even have I-90 shields way back when, so that was more of your directional.

Then there's the signs modified for a sense of consistency between directions.  Like the ones heading east on the pike for I-84 that say "Hartford/NY City".  Noone in their right mind would be going east and looking for NY City.  But because the westbound signs say that, they were changed.  Same goes for heading west on the pike and getting off at I-495, where "Portsmouth NH" is used.  Would'nt Lowell make more sense?

Heck, we could discuss control city follies until the cows come home, but, heck, that would just be "udder"ly ridiculous. 
 :)  :)  :)

The same control city in each direction that MassDOT has now enabled has even more ridiculous control cities that the NYC example on the Pike. Going northbound on 495 in Amesbury, the MA 150 exit suggests Seabrook NH as a control city. As illogical as that is, the southbound side also having it when you likely just left Seabrook is a tad misdirected.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 87 (NC-VA)
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 05:58:31 PM
NCDOT announcing lane closures along US 64 (Future I-87) at Old Carriage Road in Nash County as part of a bridge widening project that is replacing the 2-lane 1960 bridge with a presumably 4-lane interstate standard one:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-05-01-us-64-exit-detour.aspx
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 05:56:13 PM
It gets tough when you can't count on your graywater becoming (after treatment) a downstream user's drinking water.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 05:48:55 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on Today at 11:48:08 AMI would have numbered it Interstate 474, but NC 192 it will be. This will be the second NC 192, as the designation hasn't been used since 1937: http://www.vahighways.com/ncannex/route-log/nc192.html.
Sign plan for traffic on I-74/Beltway East:
Traffic Control / Re: 1-2-3 Route number Additio...
Last post by formulanone - Today at 05:47:41 PM
1472 = 694 + 92 + 686

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.