News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Early Proposals for I-95 & I-64?

Started by WillWeaverRVA, August 14, 2009, 01:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Yes, more Richmond stuff. I live here, so I guess I should post it. :p

I was browsing some local news blogs and came across these newspaper scans from the 1950s. They seem to detail community proposals for what are now I-95, I-64, and their overlap through central and eastern Richmond. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot in the way of text. Basically, it proposes a freeway to run about 1/2 to 1 mile south of where current I-64 is just east of I-95, and a north-south freeway in central Richmond with an interchange at Franklin Street (and oddly enough not Main, which was/is VA 147 in that location - and yes, I know I-95 blows off VA 147 today).

Interestingly it should be noted that the proposed routing of I-64 would have destroyed a good chunk of Church Hill and Fairmount, and the apparent proposed I-95 (I'm guessing it's I-95, as it's a north-south freeway; the drawing is looking south) was a depressed freeway unlike current I-95 south of I-64. Not sure that would have worked either without destroying Shockoe Bottom.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

Wow Richmond would look much different if this had gone through and they might would be talking about tearing down the freeway now like those in Syracuse who want to tear down I-81 ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

That newspaper dates from June 1950.  From what I can tell, it's revised versions of the original 1946 Virginia Highway Department study on expressways in Richmond and Petersburg.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.