1959 Arterial Highway plans for Delaware

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, April 15, 2010, 03:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Something that I've been looking for for 10+ years was the freeway plans for Delaware, Ohio.  Ohio State Univ. didn't have them, the state library didn't have them, Ohio Historical Society didn't have them, and ODOT didn't have anything.  I had looked in the Delaware library previously, but evidently not close enough because I finally found the report hiding in a box (titled transportation) in a file cabinet back in their special collections room last week.
Other than the alternative proposals (Delaware could have gotten a "real" bypass 50 years ago), only two items of note stood out: 
One - The engineer who compiled the report suggested making "new 23/42" more expressway like with intersections with all the crossing streets (Olentangy Ave, William St (US 36), Winter St, Central Ave (Oh 37), and Lincoln Ave (Mingo Park entrance) with interchanges for both end of Sandusky St ("old 23") and US 42.  Alas, that didn't happen as (partial) interchanges were constructed for US 36-Oh 37 and overpasses over Olentangy Ave & Lincoln Ave.
Two - There was to be a northeast extension of US 42 from "new 23" to current US 42, NE of Delaware to complete the rerouting of 42 off of Delaware city streets.  This didn't come to pass.  Don't know why.
So here are the maps for the project

The alternate routes for the project.

Overhead image of the "new bypass" with the overpasses and exits for DT Delaware

South side of Delaware

Eastside of Downtown Delaware

The northeast extension of US 42 around Delaware that was never built.

And the empty space on the US 23 NB sign assembly that is still waiting on new 42, 45 years later (the actual highway wasn't finished through Delaware till the early to mid 60s (1963-65)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

interesting, a green US-23 shield for the business route.  I wonder when OH had that standard.  A couple of the shields do still float around, and they are the classic shape.

what year are those plans from?  The shields are 1961 spec.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 15, 2010, 10:15:07 PM
I'm sorry... Burgess and WHAT?

Nothing to see here.  Just an archaic spelling of "penis".

jake@aaroads.com

Hellfighter

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 15, 2010, 11:13:21 PM
Is there a ghost ramp still there?
The closest thing to a ghost ramp is the stub end of "old 23" south of the US 23/US 42/S. Sandusky St intersection on the southside of Delaware.
The NE extension of US 42 never got beyond paper far as I know.  I've never found any constructed remnents around Delaware in the 27 years since I lived in the area.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 15, 2010, 08:21:36 PM
interesting, a green US-23 shield for the business route.  I wonder when OH had that standard.  A couple of the shields do still float around, and they are the classic shape.

what year are those plans from?  The shields are 1961 spec.
Ain't that something.  Color shields photoshopped onto a black & white document. And they're 1961 specs. Can't say roadgeeks aren't resourceful if anything. ;-)

agentsteel53

alas, that reveals no new information in my quest to figure out the origins of the black-square shields... had they been from '59 in the exact 1961-spec form, that would've been an important data point.

I've seen some Maryland shields from 1953 or so that were black squares.  I also do not know the time that Vermont introduced the state-named black square shields.

I know Ohio had the white-square shields very early on (1946), so maybe they introduced the black-square one as well?

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Is it just me, or are the bottom 4 pictures not showing up?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bugo on April 16, 2010, 08:56:13 PM
Is it just me, or are the bottom 4 pictures not showing up?

Server issues (with Flickr)?

froggie

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 15, 2010, 10:15:07 PM
I'm sorry... Burgess and WHAT?

Burgess and Niple. They do a lot of consulting work for KYTC as well, especially on projects in the Northern Kentucky area.

Pronounced "ny-pull." (Long "i").

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.