News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PAHighways on January 22, 2019, 08:35:17 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on January 22, 2019, 08:27:09 AM

You could also be directionally challenged and went west from Harrisburg, then made an illegal U-turn somewhere around Irwin to get back on the right track. :-)

Or just enter the eastbound lanes at Sideling Hill instead of the westbound lanes.

SM-G965U

Which is an illegal maneuver because it requires one to go thru a maintenance access gate.

So either way, you're screwed!

PAHighways

At that point one might as well just go the few extra miles to Exit 161 and turn around legally.

SM-G965U

vdeane

Would they even have a way of knowing if you went the wrong direction?  The exits are trumpet interchanges with a single toll plaza, so unless you get off at the same exit you got your ticket from, there's no way to know.  I'm pretty sure state troopers aren't randomly pulling people over or running checkpoints to look at people's toll tickets.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on January 22, 2019, 01:04:54 PM
Would they even have a way of knowing if you went the wrong direction?  The exits are trumpet interchanges with a single toll plaza, so unless you get off at the same exit you got your ticket from, there's no way to know.  I'm pretty sure state troopers aren't randomly pulling people over or running checkpoints to look at people's toll tickets.

Unless a Trooper was at an interchange watching, they wouldn't know.  Of course, a driver intending on making a U-turn wouldn't know if there's no cop at the interchange until they're already there, so if there was a cop around, the driver would either risk the ticket, or just pay the toll. 

I had one person one day try ratting someone out doing this, saying while she was in line to pay the toll the car in front of her made an illegal U-turn.  I'm not sure what she wanted me to do about it - I didn't see it, she had no description of the vehicle, and neither of us knew what direction they went after the U-turn.  Yet she seemed irritated I wouldn't call it in!  I've seen numerous u-turns made, but our job wasn't to worry about minor stuff like that. 

In fact, there were plenty of times when someone came thru my lane saying they were getting off the incorrect interchange.  We told them to pay the toll, then just make the "illegal" U-turn thru the cones and re-enter the Turnpike (I would only do this when there wasn't much traffic in the plaza).  I also had to get in the habit of telling them to make sure they got another toll ticket, because invariably these people figured they already paid a toll so now it's perfectly fine to go thru the EZ Pass lane (they, no doubt, argued about that when they exited the Turnpike at their proper interchange).

briantroutman

Would they even have a way of knowing if you went the wrong direction?

You're right in that state troopers aren't pulling people over, but there is a definite way to know that a motorist is going the wrong direction. In short, you can't be headed toward the interchange from which your toll ticket was issued. Since there are no means of making a legal U-turn within the closed ticket system, you must always be headed away from your point of origin.

My sense is that all of the laws about fare evasion give the PTC and PASP a number of means, not only to fight motorists' attempts at evading tolls, but also to keep vagrants off the Turnpike. Not that they're actively patrolling for fare evaders, but in my admittedly limited experience, law enforcement officers appreciate having as many tools at their disposal as possible.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: briantroutman on January 22, 2019, 02:24:39 PM

You’re right in that state troopers aren’t pulling people over, but there is a definite way to know that a motorist is going the wrong direction. In short, you can’t be headed toward the interchange from which your toll ticket was issued. Since there are no means of making a legal U-turn within the closed ticket system, you must always be headed away from your point of origin.

My sense is that all of the laws about fare evasion give the PTC and PASP a number of means, not only to fight motorists’ attempts at evading tolls, but also to keep vagrants off the Turnpike. Not that they’re actively patrolling for fare evaders, but in my admittedly limited experience, law enforcement officers appreciate having as many tools at their disposal as possible.

Yeah, this would only come into play if there's some sort of crime committed, accident, etc.  A cop pulling someone over for a normal speeding violation isn't going to ask or care about the toll ticket.

vdeane

Quote from: briantroutman on January 22, 2019, 02:24:39 PM

You're right in that state troopers aren't pulling people over, but there is a definite way to know that a motorist is going the wrong direction. In short, you can't be headed toward the interchange from which your toll ticket was issued. Since there are no means of making a legal U-turn within the closed ticket system, you must always be headed away from your point of origin.

My sense is that all of the laws about fare evasion give the PTC and PASP a number of means, not only to fight motorists' attempts at evading tolls, but also to keep vagrants off the Turnpike. Not that they're actively patrolling for fare evaders, but in my admittedly limited experience, law enforcement officers appreciate having as many tools at their disposal as possible.
"They" in this case is the toll collector, since of course the police aren't going to be quizzing you on your toll ticket in normal circumstances.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 22, 2019, 07:56:11 AM
It's not a mathematical calculation per se.  It's a reasonableness formula.

I guess that makes sense. But you'd think, with "formula" right in the name, there would be something more precise than just reasonableness.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

DrSmith

I remember working on the NJTP years back and getting a huge number of same interchange tickets. Everyone was saying something about an accident at Burlington-Mt Holly toll plaza and the cops were turning people around and putting them back on the TP before they could go through the toll plaza and exit. So some people came back to where they had originally entered. Most were annoyed to pay the $4 or whatever it was. I had to show a charge for the vehicle in the system and so it was complain but pay.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DrSmith on January 22, 2019, 08:39:34 PM
I remember working on the NJTP years back and getting a huge number of same interchange tickets. Everyone was saying something about an accident at Burlington-Mt Holly toll plaza and the cops were turning people around and putting them back on the TP before they could go through the toll plaza and exit. So some people came back to where they had originally entered. Most were annoyed to pay the $4 or whatever it was. I had to show a charge for the vehicle in the system and so it was complain but pay.

Yeah, I always applied a reasonableness standard in that case. I would've probably just recharged the ticket for the distance between the two interchanges.  I did that sometimes based on the circumstances.  I figured as long as I wrote it up and documented it I was fine (they never said anything whenever I did that).  Even to this day, the only time I regretted doing something like that was when someone had mapquest directions that managed to lead them onto the NJ Turnpike behind a service plaza.  By rights, without the toll ticket, I should've charged the max toll, and told them if they want to take it up with anyone, it's mapquests's fault.  I just charged them the minimum toll and let them roll. In hindsight I should've charged them the max just because they shouldn't have driven onto the Turnpike the way they did.  But again, no one ever said anything, so it's a wonder I even think about it 15 years after the fact! Haha

Alps

The longest I can see someone reasonably being on the Turnpike system is around 2 days. You pull into a service area with a problem, they say they can get the part but it'll take some time. You get some food, pass the time, sleep, wake up, they fix the car, another nap, and you're finally on your way. I would imagine that we're not talking about tickets a day or two old even, in these cases, but just random tickets from who knows how long ago.

seicer

What is the projected north terminus of PA 43 at I-376? If it's not on the original alignment by the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, then it must be further east towards Monroeville?

PAHighways

It is to tie in to the east of the PA 791/Rodi Road interchange.

SM-G965U

seicer

Gotcha. It's hard to envision a route through that area, with it being so built up.

Alps

Quote from: PAHighways on February 09, 2019, 05:52:25 PM

I thought it was coming into the PA 8 interchange. Is that dead?

Roadsguy

Quote from: Alps on February 10, 2019, 01:30:01 AM

Jeff could answer with more certainty for early alternatives, but every map I've seen of it has had the eastern branch end east of PA 791 and north of the Monroeville Mall. The western branch would have ended just east of the PA 885 exit.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ARMOURERERIC

It follows the railroad valley through Monroeville, has several iterations of US 22 biz interchanges.  I think the current one is converting the MM entrance trumpet into a tight cloverleaf and having the resultant road North tie into PA 43.

PAHighways

Quote from: Alps on February 10, 2019, 01:30:01 AM

All of the maps I have ever seen had the interchange, for what was the Monroeville leg, placed on 376 at the border of Penn Hills and Monroeville:  https://www.patpconstruction.com/monfaysb/pdf/MeetingBoards/MappingBoardE_Aug2016.pdf.

The only expressway that was supposed to connect at Ardmore Boulevard was the cancelled Route 30 Relocation.

seicer

Looking at the link Jeff sent and going back on the main site, I now see the alignment - and it wasn't what I had envisioned. It doesn't appear to take away too many properties.

PHLBOS

Below is cross-posted from the SEPTA and other Philadelphia area transit thread in the Mass Transit section, courtesy of Jeffandnicole.  I thought it might be worth sharing here since such is tied to the PA Turnpike; particularly as it relates to Acts 44 & 89.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 25, 2019, 09:52:19 AM
https://www.philly.com/transportation/septa-projects-halted-pennsylvania-turnpike-suit-truckers-penndot-20190225.html
SEPTA officials put almost 40 improvement projects on hold this month as it awaits the outcome of a lawsuit that could slash a third of its capital budget by this summer.

Construction that is underway is continuing, but design work on 21 projects has stopped.

QuoteIn March, a truckers' trade association and a drivers' advocacy group filed a federal lawsuit arguing that turnpike tolls are at least 200 percent more expensive than they should be. The suit also contends that using toll revenue to fund transit violates the U.S. Constitution's commerce clause, which regulates interstate commerce. It claims that toll money should go only toward maintaining the turnpike system and that Pennsylvania was wrong to allocate toll revenue for transit with laws passed in 2007 and 2013. The high tolls interfere with interstate trade, the suit argues.
Are the proverbial chickens coming to roost?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jcn

I can't remember if I asked this before or not, but which service plaza on the turnpike would you say is the most popular?

ilpt4u

Quote from: jcn on February 27, 2019, 03:38:38 PM
I can't remember if I asked this before or not, but which service plaza on the turnpike would you say is the most popular?
Breezewood.../sarcasm

I couldn't resist

jeffandnicole

I'm quite sure I just heard a first on the drive home tonight on WMMR: A Pennsylvania Turnpike commercial informing people, in case of vehicle issues, to dial *11 and look for and utilize the green milepost signs to tell the dispatcher their location!  I've never heard milepost signs actually used in such a far-reaching PSA before!

Flyer78

Quote from: jcn on February 27, 2019, 03:38:38 PM

I seem to recall during the renovations that Allentown was listed as the busiest. At least the construction company that did the work claims so. 

https://www.highconstruction.com/experience/retail/pennsylvania-turnpike-service-plaza---allentown/

briantroutman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2019, 11:21:19 PM
I'm quite sure I just heard a first on the drive home tonight on WMMR: A Pennsylvania Turnpike commercial informing people, in case of vehicle issues, to dial *11 and look for and utilize the green milepost signs to tell the dispatcher their location!  I've never heard milepost signs actually used in such a far-reaching PSA before!

I heard a similar PSA (perhaps the same one) on KYW a few days ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.