News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Themed street names

Started by hm insulators, December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streetman

Quote from: mgk920 on November 10, 2023, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2023, 05:31:18 AM
Quote from: Streetman on November 09, 2023, 03:30:48 PM
Perhaps it's time to rename Redskins Ave.

First it should be Football Team Ave. for two years :sombrero:.

I checked the map, that development doesn't even have  street with such a name.  They don't even have a street named for the local Colts.

Mike

Zoom in a notch. It's between Vikings Ln. and Touchdown Ave.

Streetman

In honor of Veterans Day, originally called Armistice Day for the end of World War I on Nov. 11, 1918, I'd like to mention a group of four streets in my hometown, Hamden CT, connected to that war. Marne St. intersects Foch, Pershing, and Haig streets. French Marshal Ferdinand Foch, U.S. General John J. Pershing, an British Field Marshal Douglas Haig all commanded at the Battles of the Marne.

Within a half-mile of these streets are other groups of streets associated with particular wars. For the Spanish-American war there are Oregon, Manila, and Bagley avenues. The battleship USS Oregon was deployed in Manila Bay, and Worth Bagley was the only American naval officer killed in action in that war. There are Lexington and Concord streets, both sites of Revolutionary War battles, with Beacon St. between them, possibly a reference to Beacon Hill. Finally, and rather tenuously, there are Merrimac and Carrington streets. Henry B. Carrington, born in nearby Wallingford, was a Union general of relatively minor importance in the Civil War, and the USS Merrimack was rebuilt by the Confederacy to fight the USS Monitor in the first battle of ironclad ships.

All these streets are on this map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/41.35463/-72.92889

freebrickproductions

In southeast Huntsville, AL, there's a neighborhood that's got streets all named after King Arthur characters, in a neighborhood that is fittingly-named Camelot, except for Guenevere Avenue, which is quite clearly supposed to be Guinevere, but someone misspelled the name and it wasn't caught.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 11, 2023, 11:03:56 AM
In southeast Huntsville, AL, there's a neighborhood that's got streets all named after King Arthur characters, in a neighborhood that is fittingly-named Camelot, except for Guenevere Avenue, which is quite clearly supposed to be Guinevere, but someone misspelled the name and it wasn't caught.

According to this, it's just an alternate spelling, used for example in the musical Camelot.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Streetman

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 11, 2023, 11:03:56 AM

My hometown, Hamden CT, has a Guenevere Ct. (so spelled) and Lancelot Way in the Camelot Woods subdivision.

Road Hog

A new subdivision just down the road from me in McKinney off the east side of Lake Forest has an astronomical theme, which I can dig. Bordered by the Fox Ridge subdivision on the south and a McKinney FD fire station on the north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.