News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In Delaware and Maryland shunpiking these days is a must!  The tolls there are too damn ridiculous.

Of course, you can't really shunpike the George Washington Bridge as there is no way south of Albany where you can cross the Husdon River for free unless you go westbound.  Perhaps if you start your I-95 journey in New England and head south you can do it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on June 05, 2015, 08:52:41 AM
Of course, you can't really shunpike the George Washington Bridge as there is no way south of Albany where you can cross the Husdon River for free unless you go westbound.
the Tappan Zee toll is half that of the GW, and for all intents and purposes counts as a shunpike.

ekt8750

In Delaware and Maryland shunpiking these days is a must!  The tolls there are too damn ridiculous.

Exactly. The 95 bridge over the Susquehanna is the worst heading north. $8 is crazy and actually driving up to and over the Conowingo Dam is pretty scenic.

roadman65

Quote from: odditude on June 05, 2015, 09:05:47 AM
Of course, you can't really shunpike the George Washington Bridge as there is no way south of Albany where you can cross the Husdon River for free unless you go westbound.
the Tappan Zee toll is half that of the GW, and for all intents and purposes counts as a shunpike.
If things have not changed that much over the last two decades, the Bear Mountain Bridge is even cheaper yet.

But, you still pay a toll.  Not a true Shunpike.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

QuoteThe tolls there are too damn ridiculous.

So are most of the detours.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ekt8750 on June 05, 2015, 11:08:37 AM

Exactly. The 95 bridge over the Susquehanna is the worst heading north. $8 is crazy and actually driving up to and over the Conowingo Dam is pretty scenic.

That toll is so high because it is an effort to collect tolls at one point from one direction of 43 miles of toll road, where all movements (between Md. 43, Exit 67 and Md. 279, Exit 109) were once tolled. 

It is especially a subsidy to residents of Harford County, many of whom drive the toll road every day yet pay no toll at all.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 04, 2015, 11:08:44 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 04, 2015, 09:58:51 PM
Shunpiking is done to avoid tolls. There are no tolls on 81 & 13 in those areas.

At this point it's just sight-seeing.

As ekt said a few posts back, "Makes for a little more fun drive."  (Although assuming he used the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, he would've paid the Eastern Shore-bound toll there so it wouldn't have been a pure shunpike.)  Maybe it should be called "sixty-sixing" or "66-ing" (think Bobby Troup's favorite road).

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ekt8750

Quote from: ixnay on June 06, 2015, 12:34:41 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on June 04, 2015, 11:08:44 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 04, 2015, 09:58:51 PM
Shunpiking is done to avoid tolls. There are no tolls on 81 & 13 in those areas.

At this point it's just sight-seeing.

As ekt said a few posts back, "Makes for a little more fun drive."  (Although assuming he used the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, he would've paid the Eastern Shore-bound toll there so it wouldn't have been a pure shunpike.)  Maybe it should be called "sixty-sixing" or "66-ing" (think Bobby Troup's favorite road).

ixnay

Well I went through Baltimore via 395 and 40 to avoid the Ft McHenry tunnel, MD155, 161 and US1 to get around the toll in Perryville and of course the famous 273-4-896 one at the DE state line. By far the most scenic of the three is the over the Susquehanna. Even spotted a few bald eagles while we were driving through.

Alex4897

👉😎👉

ekt8750

Had a brain fart there. So many 27x routes in the northeastern MD that they all run together sometimes.

ChezeHed81

Does anyone know why Route 1 gets backed up SB south of Middletown on Thursdays and Fridays in season? Delays typically occur about 1 mile south of the onramp from Route 299, just beyond where the Odessa bump returns to more of a southward heading. Being that far from the interchange, it seems unlikely to be due to merging traffic volumes. (BTW kudos to DelDOT for designing an onramp where the majority of drivers merge at or above posted highway speed!) There are no reductions in lanes or changes in the roadway's design in the vicinity that would cause drivers to slow that would be obvious to me. If anything, the sight lines improve beyond the southward curve. I have yet to figure out what causes drivers to slow down in that area. I've been caught in jams that stretch back to the Biddles toll plaza some weekends.

Alex4897

Simple answer: the drivers using that road in season have the attention span of a gnat.  These backups are typically caused by the simplest of distractions, IE: someone is pulled over by a cop or someone parked a boat on a trailer on the shoulder.  On Fridays everyone heads south towards the beach, so this is inverse on Sunday's.  No exxageration, I've been stuck in miles long backups caused by these otherwise ignored incidents.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

So within the past month or so, DelDOT replaced the signals at Kirkwood Highway (DE 2) and Cleveland Avenue in Newark.  They didn't just replace them with poles and leave the configuration as it was before the work was done, instead they ended up setting up split-phasing for DE 2 for the sake of adding a second left turn lane on DE 2 EB.  There was no room to widen DE 2 due to the proximity of the CSX underpass south of the intersection, and traffic was constantly tied up due to the amount of people attempting to turn left onto Cleveland Avenue WB.  Is this the first notable example in Delaware of the through movement being given split-phasing at a simple four way intersection?

These signals look like something out of New York, they had to lower them due to sight limitations from the underpass.

(facing EB)
👉😎👉

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: odditude on June 05, 2015, 09:05:47 AM

And the $1.50 toll on the Newburgh-Beacon bridge is a nice shunpike of that.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 22, 2015, 12:45:20 AM
So within the past month or so, DelDOT replaced the signals at Kirkwood Highway (DE 2) and Cleveland Avenue in Newark.  They didn't just replace them with poles and leave the configuration as it was before the work was done, instead they ended up setting up split-phasing for DE 2 for the sake of adding a second left turn lane on DE 2 EB.  There was no room to widen DE 2 due to the proximity of the CSX underpass south of the intersection, and traffic was constantly tied up due to the amount of people attempting to turn left onto Cleveland Avenue WB.  Is this the first notable example in Delaware of the through movement being given split-phasing at a simple four way intersection?

These signals look like something out of New York, they had to lower them due to sight limitations from the underpass.

(facing EB)

2nd pic:  I don't see why they couldn't have installed the arm mast lower to place the traffic light assemblies on it, like the other side.  It's not like anyone's going to hit it. 

As far as split phasing goes: At least when referring to the through movement, they split-phased Naaman's Road at the 95 North entrance.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 22, 2015, 06:12:32 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on June 22, 2015, 12:45:20 AM

(facing EB)

How is traffic as a result of the change?  Generally, split-phasing in a similar manner leads to heavy backups on the main road.

2nd pic:  I don't see why they couldn't have installed the arm mast lower to place the traffic light assemblies on it, like the other side.  It's not like anyone's going to hit it. 

As far as split phasing goes: At least when referring to the through movement, they split-phased Naaman's Road at the 95 North entrance.

Alex4897

Quote from: mrsman on June 26, 2015, 01:42:11 PM
How is traffic as a result of the change?  Generally, split-phasing in a similar manner leads to heavy backups on the main road.

From what I've seen passing through on my bike, operations on DE 2 EB have improved greatly.  The left turn onto Cleveland Avenue was constantly backed up before the change, but afterwards it isn't nearly as bad.  One thing I'd like to see is signage pertaining to the change, as the lane configuration isn't immediately obvious until you're on top of the signal due to the shape of the roadway.
👉😎👉

lepidopteran

I did a double-take on the Delaware Memorial Bridge the other night.  It seriously looked like the Delaware tower of the NB span was replaced with two unconnected concrete poles!

Actually, the tower is being draped in a cloth-covered scaffolding so it can receive a coat of a special (newfangled?) steel-protecting paint.  But at night, and from the other span, it looked like two square concrete columns, since the connecting part at the top was not well lit.

http://www.nj.com/south-jersey-voices/index.ssf/2015/06/the_scoop_help_set_a_record_ha.html

Alex4897

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 01, 2015, 02:11:42 PM
I did a double-take on the Delaware Memorial Bridge the other night.  It seriously looked like the Delaware tower of the NB span was replaced with two unconnected concrete poles!

Actually, the tower is being draped in a cloth-covered scaffolding so it can receive a coat of a special (newfangled?) steel-protecting paint.  But at night, and from the other span, it looked like two square concrete columns, since the connecting part at the top was not well lit.

http://www.nj.com/south-jersey-voices/index.ssf/2015/06/the_scoop_help_set_a_record_ha.html
Funny, I drove over that last night too.  The amount of scaffolding they're using for this is unbelievable.  I should've gotten some pictures.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

I've been taking pics every time I go over that bridge.  Maybe I should post a few!! LOL

KEVIN_224

This is how it looked northbound, leaving New Castle, DE, back on Saturday, May 30th:

Alex4897

Quote from: Zeffy on July 28, 2015, 11:27:58 PM
It'd be nice if there was a more major route that allowed you to jump from to US 301 from US 13 in the Dover area and vice-versa, but there's not really a need for it.

While we're at it, just go ahead and make it cross the Delaware Bay.

On a more serious note, is a Delaware Bay crossing near Dover ever actually been considered?  Is it even possible?
👉😎👉

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 28, 2015, 11:34:33 PM
It'd be nice if there was a more major route that allowed you to jump from to US 301 from US 13 in the Dover area and vice-versa, but there's not really a need for it.

On a more serious note, is a Delaware Bay crossing near Dover ever actually been considered?  Is it even possible?
None seen as far as I could find on DelDOT's website. There's no projects that have to do with major bridge crossings (crossing Delaware Bay) being built in Kent County.

Alex4897

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 28, 2015, 11:39:10 PM

None seen as far as I could find on DelDOT's website. There's no projects that have to do with major bridge crossings (crossing Delaware Bay) being built in Kent County.

I'm well aware nothing's being considered right now.  I asked if it's been considered historically.
👉😎👉

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 29, 2015, 12:20:41 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 28, 2015, 11:39:10 PM

I'm well aware nothing's being considered right now.  I asked if it's been considered historically.

I know I've just added myself to the conversation but it looks like it was considered at one point.
http://www.phillyroads.com/crossings/delaware-bay/

Interestingly enough it shows proposals for both a crossing near Woodland Beach and a Cape May crossing.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.