News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most realignments of one route within one city's limits?

Started by TheStranger, July 22, 2010, 02:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

In my years of researching Sacramento area highways, Route 99 (counting the US highway era and the current state route) has been moved around countless times in the city limits alone:

1926 - Not particularly clear at http://members.cox.net/mkpl2/hist/26mp_nca.jpg but 99 enters in from the south on Stockton Boulevard, appears to follow Broadway west and 16th Street towards downtown/midtown according to that source; this one - http://members.cox.net/mkpl2/hist/map1926-sf_area.jpg - suggests that 50 ended at today's intersection of Folsom and Capitol in East Sacramento before 99 northbound continued west into the downtown area.

1933 - Right before the state routes were signed...
http://members.cox.net/mkpl2/hist/droz-saca33n.jpg

99 appears to follow Stockton Boulevard all the way to Stockton's north terminus at Alhambra, then  up Alhambra three blocks before meeting US 50 at Alhambra/Folsom, followed by 99 northbound continuing west through midtown via L Street.  At 16th Street, 99E began following US 40 eastbound on 16th Street north, while 99W north followed 40 west via L Street, 9th Street, and what was then M Street (now Capitol Mall) towards the Sacramento River.   This is confirmed in the 1934 state-issued map at http://www.americanroads.us/citymaps/1934CaStateMapSacramento.png

1942 - US 50 extended to Stockton on an alignment via then-M Street (now Capitol Avenue) (a block south of the pre-1940s US 99 alignment); US 99 now leaves Stockton Boulevard (with eastbound US 50) at westbound 5th Avenue (now Broadway), then continues northwest along Sacramento Boulevard (now Broadway) and Broadway to 16th Street, at which point 99 north and 50 east continue north to N Street.

http://members.cox.net/mkpl2/hist/droz-sjsaca42.jpg

At N Street, 99 split into 99W and 99E, with 99E continuing north to the 16th Street Bridge with US 40 east, and 99W continuing west on N Street, north on 9th Street 1 block, and west on then-M Street to the Tower Bridge.

These routings are confirmed on a 1944 state map:
http://www.americanroads.us/citymaps/1944CaStateMapSacramento.png

North Sacramento at the time was an independent city from Sacramento; from the foot of the 16th Street Bridge, 99E and 40 followed Del Paso Boulevard until ca. 1947, at which point they were rerouted onto the North Sacramento Freeway (now 160 and Business 80).

1959 - with the South Sacramento Freeway under construction, and the Elvas Freeway having just been completed, the 99W and 99E split is moved to what was then the junction of 29th and 30th Streets with Broadway (which has since been obliterated by the Oak Park Interchange), with 99E/50 following 29th and 30th north (50 splitting off at Capitol Avenue/Folsom Boulevard) and 99E continuing towards the Arden Fair Mall via the Elvas Freeway (now Business 80) to meet up with US 40 at today's 160/Business 80 split.

http://home.pacbell.net/hywaymn/images/Sacramento_Map_1959.jpg

99W now follows what had been 99/50 down Broadway and 16th Street (with 15th Street added on as a southbound one-way pair) to N Street, then followed the existing US 40 route of N Street, 9th Street, and Capitol Avenue to the Tower Bridge.

According to Joel Windmiller's pages, the shift of 99E out of the west edge of midtown occurred in 1954.

1963 - with the South Sacramento Freeway complete, 99 and 50 are moved onto it from Stockton Boulevard, following it to today's Route 99 Exit 298.
http://cahighways.org/maps/1963sac.jpg

A photo from around this time period, at the north end of the South Sacramento Freeway:
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CA19580502

At the Broadway exit, 99W began, following its 1959-era route (except switching onto Capitol via 7th and 8th) while 99E and 50 took today's T Street exit onto 29th and 30th, afterwards following the 1959-era route.  Here's a photo of a guide sign from that era:
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CA19620991

In unrelated news, Bypass US 50 seems to have been decomissioned between 1959 and 1963, as LRN 98 is shifted to the Elvas Freeway.

Stockton Boulevard at this point became Business US 50 and Business US 99.

This photo of 15th Street southbound at N Street in Sacramento appears to be from this era of routings:
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CA19554091

1964-1965: Based on several issues of California Highways and Public Works I've perused years ago, State Route 99 was legislatively assigned on what had been Route 24 between Capitol Avenue and Freeport Boulevard (along the 3rd/5th one-way pair and Broadway), approximating what would later be the freeway segments of 5 (West Side Freeway) and today's 50 (WX Freeway/Capital City Freeway) that 99 uses through the downtown/midtown area.  However, 99E and 99W signage remained.

What was originally US 40/99W (and part of Route 16) along Capitol Mall was now officially Route 275.

1967: With the completion of what was then I-80 between T Street and the Elvas Freeway (now Business 80/Capital City Freeway), 50 and 99E ran up it to the N Street exit (where 50 exited to reach Capitol Avenue/Folsom Boulevard) and then 99E continued northeast with 80.

99W however was using a routing that only lasted 2-3 years, and may have entirely existed in the post-1964 era: instead of using N Street, 99W continued west along P Street (and came in from the east along Q Street) to the 3rd/5th one-way pair, then north on 5th (south on 3rd) to capitol.  It explains the following ancient overhead sign, which is located where 99W had made this turn (and was at the time intersection with US 40)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/4792523198/in/set-72157624279252253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/4792522678/in/set-72157624279252253/

Based on the date-code on the back of the overhead sign, the rerouting occurred in February 1965:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/4792522026/in/set-72157624279252253/

Meanwhile, state route 99 was first established along former Route 24 (and what was then Route 16), using the following routing north of Capitol Mall: 3rd/5th Street, I/J Street, then splitting from Route 16 near the I Street bridge, following Jibboom Street north across the American River to Garden Highway, then Garden Highway west to El Centro Road, and El Centro Road north through Natomas.  (This entire segment was concurrently signed with Route 70 from Capitol Mall north)

1968: US 99 signage removed in California, with the South Sacramento Freeway signed as Route 99/US 50, and Stockton Boulevard and the segment of Broadway from Stockton Boulevard to Route 99 signed as Business US 50.  What was then I-80 is completed along the WX Freeway and is signed as I-80/Route 99 (currently signed as US 50/Business 80/Route 99).

1972: US 50 signage removed from South Sacramento Freeway (though from what I have heard, Business US 50 signage remained several more years), and with I-5 complete through downtown, 99 is rerouted onto it, with the old Jibboom Street bridge across the Natomas drainage canal demolished, and the former segment of Route 70/99 (previously Route 24)
in Natomas cut off by then-I-880 (now I-80).  (70 was likely never signed into downtown along 5, though at one point may have been on today's 99 in far north Natomas)

This is the modern-day Route 99 alignment.

1995: The segment of El Centro Road that had served as Route 70/99 from 1964-1971 or so (and was originally signed as Route 24 in the 1950s) south of today's I-80 and north of Garden Highway is demolished for housing developments in the South Natomas area.  El Centro Road between I-5 and I-80 still exists as a local street, while north of I-5 is the current State Route 99.

---

To put it in shorter terms, the following roads in today's city limits of Sacramento all have carried some part of US/State Route 99 since 1926:

Stockton Boulevard
Alhambra Boulevard (between L Street and P Street)
L Street
One block of 9th Street near the Capitol
One block of 7th/8th Street near the Capitol
Capitol Mall
Broadway (including former Sacramento Boulevard and 5th Avenue)
15th/16th Street
Route 160 (North Sacramento Freeway) from Broadway north
N Street
Auburn Boulevard
Del Paso Boulevard
El Camino Avenue
30th Street
29th Street
Business 80 from T Street north
P/Q Street
3rd/5th Street
I/J Street (for two blocks)
Jibboom Street
Garden Highway between Jibboom Street and El Centro Road
El Centro Road

That's a lot of places for just one numbered road with a fork!  :-o
Chris Sampang

US71

I count 4 alignments in Bentonville, AR for US 71:

- A St to 14th (now AR 102) then west towards Centerton
- A St to Central (now AR 72) then west towards Decatur
- Walton Blvd (now 71B)
- I-540 (current alignment)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Although there aren't enough maps for it all, US 1/9 has moved a number of times through Newark (and more times to the east, but you said "city limits").  Originally, it came in on Frelinghuysen Ave., where NJ 27 now runs, and we know it came out on Raymond Blvd.  There are several unknowns, because there are a number of different possible routings (with at least one source) in the 1920's until things started to get squared away.

* 1/9 probably used Broad St. up to downtown Newark.  I do not believe it ever used McCarter Highway (21).  From my website: "Current US 1 from the Trenton area to Newark, at the south end of the Pulaski Skyway (including the original Skyway, which is now US 1 southbound north of Newark Airport), was built from 1928 to 1931 as 25. Before this, US 1 (possibly signed TEMPORARY) used US 206 and 27 (once both 27) from Trenton to Newark. In Newark it went north on Broad St to downtown."
* 1/9 may have used Ferry St. to leave Newark.  Raymond Blvd. and Ferry St. are now a one-way pair, but I'm sure they weren't 90 years ago.  Question is, when was the Newark Airport freeway built (lower end of Pulaski Skyway) vs. when those streets became one-way.  Also possible that 1/9 used Ferry St. both ways instead of Raymond at one point.  From my website: "... probably east on Market St and Raymond Blvd, or maybe Market St and Ferry St, to the current junction of US 1/US 9 and US 1-9 TRUCK."
* Obviously, 1/9 were rerouted onto the freeway bypass/Pulaski Skyway when that opened.  However, it opened in stages.  From my website: "The first section of what was known as the Pulaski Skyway (now the elevated Newark freeway), 25  from the Newark Airport north to the east edge of Newark, opened in 1928. It's not clear if US 1 was rerouted onto it at that time, or if NJDOT waited until the rest of 25 in and south of Newark was finished...  In 1931, the last sections of 25 and S26  between south of New Brunswick and Newark were completed, and US 1 was routed off the old road from south of New Brunswick to Newark."
* In the 1960's, 1/9 was twinned with the new NB lanes several hundred feet to the east at points.  That counts as a partial realignment.
* What happened downtown is where I really can't go into specifics.  I believe Green St. or Lafayette St. may have been used to pass under the railroad tracks instead of Raymond Blvd.  Union St. or McWhorter St. are the most likely routes 1 would have taken.  Market St. or Edison Pl. are possibilities, but they don't ring a bell.  I do know for a fact that 1 took several turns, and not the most intuitive route directly between Broad and Market.  And those turns definitely changed several times before 1 bypassed the city.

TheStranger

Steve: On an unrelated note, is the Pulaski Skyway the first true freeway in the United States, if Italy's A9 (built in 1925) was the first in the world?
Chris Sampang

Alps

Quote from: TheStranger on July 22, 2010, 07:45:49 PM
Steve: On an unrelated note, is the Pulaski Skyway the first true freeway in the United States, if Italy's A9 (built in 1925) was the first in the world?
I think the Arroyo Seco Parkway in LA (now CA 110) is generally regarded among the road crowd as the first true freeway in the world, let alone the USA.  (Long Island Motor Parkway was the first limited-access highway, but I don't think it could be counted as a freeway.  Others may disagree.)

TheStranger

Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 22, 2010, 07:51:07 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 22, 2010, 07:45:49 PM
I think the Arroyo Seco Parkway in LA (now CA 110) is generally regarded among the road crowd as the first true freeway in the world, let alone the USA.  (Long Island Motor Parkway was the first limited-access highway, but I don't think it could be counted as a freeway.  Others may disagree.)

IIRC, the Arroyo Seco Parkway was the first in California (and is noted as such on Wikipedia), but the Pulaski predates it (as does several NY parkways), if we're going on a definition of no intersections and fully-controlled access.
Chris Sampang

golden eagle

U.S. 49 through Jackson used to be signed along what is now Medgar Evers Boulevard and then proceeded eastward along Woodrow Wilson Boulevard and going south along I-55. It now co-signs with I-220 and I-20.

All of State Street in Jackson used to be signed as U.S. 51 up until the early 90s when it was co-signed with I-20 and then I-55.

WNYroadgeek

NY 14 has gone through a few realignments in Elmira: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_14#History

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.