News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Omaha beltway

Started by Revive 755, April 17, 2009, 01:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

http://www.mapabeltwaystudy.com/

I attending a presentation tonight regarding the recently completed feasibility study.  The study favored a new inner outer belt - I didn't care for the use of the term "inner beltway."  Although the exact route has not been determined, it would generally split from I-680 near the NE 36 underpass, follow NE 36 west to NE 31, then run south west of NE 31 until a little south of I-80, turn east and cross the Missouri River using the planned new US 34 bridge and alignment to I-29 at the existing US 34 interchange (Exit 35).

Transportation alternatives considered were a full outer beltway that would use part of I-680 near I-29 and run west of the Platte River, new and improved arterials, a light rail system, and two or three new radial freeways.  The radial freeways included a north-south route heading south from I-80 somewhere around or maybe slightly east of the 72nd Street interchange (#449), and something on the north side of Omaha starting from I-680 and running west or northwest - I can't remember if it was something near NE 133 that turned west, and NE 36 corridor, or both.  The study should be online in the next few weeks, so hopefully there will be a map to clarify which of those two it was.

Other interesting thing I learned was that the West Expressway of Omaha was canceled in the 1970's supposedly after construction had started - didn't ask whether this was just the bridges at the I-480/US 75 interchange or something else I didn't find out.  But the route is supposedly too controversial to consider bring back to life.

Alex

Do you think this beltway proposal will further add to the amazing amounts of sprawl pervading westward from Omaha? When we passed through in 2005 and when I revisited in 2007, I was amazed at the growth westward along the U.S. 6 corridor and Nebraska 64. Andy and I also discovered a planning document on this beltway back then, so its already been hanging around for awhile.

Revive 755

By the time such a beltway even starts construction, I expect the sprawl to already be beyond it, barring major changes.  I'm actually surprised there isn't more sprawl filling the gap between Lincoln and Omaha.  In any case, I-80 will likely be needed a better relief route than I-680 in the future.

Chris

Sprawl will continue anyway as long as there is a population growth. The absence of a second beltway around Atlanta didn't stop the sprawl either.

Alex

QuoteSprawl will continue anyway as long as there is a population growth. The absence of a second beltway around Atlanta didn't stop the sprawl either.

Yes but it did spoke outwards along the freeway corridors faster than other areas.

For Omaha, since until recently, there was no east-west freeway extending west from Interstate 680, the sprawl just followed the arterial routes. Is it following the freeway leading northwest to Fremont now? My friend lives off 192nd Street near Elkhorn, and when he moved in the sprawl was fresh out there.

Revive 755

It may be slowly following the West Dodge Freeway to Fremont - boy I wish NDOR would either give it a single number or an official name - but right now it seems to stop around NE 31 and follow that corridor south to I-80.

If Pflug Road and Capehart Road ever get their interchanges planned with I-80, I could see more sprawl popping up along that corridor.

Revive 755

Study report for the beltway is up - it is a large, ~20 meg pdf:
http://www.mapabeltwaystudy.com/Beltway_Report_web.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.