News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Online mapping site showing grades along a route?

Started by 1995hoo, June 06, 2014, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Does anyone know of an online mapping site where you can plot a route and then have it show the gradients along the way? Someone on another forum I visit just posted the following question and I thought maybe someone here could help.

QuoteIs there a map site that shows grades/ max grades along route?

Thanks in advance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

I am pretty sure you can get approximate grades out of Google Earth, but not anything online that I know of.

1995hoo

Thanks. He clarified the issue as follows. I have no idea what the answer is, but my thought is that the Pennsylvania Turnpike would be a better route than I-68 or Corridor H under these particular circumstances.

QuoteI want to pull a small sailboat/trailer from the Bay area in Md to Columbus Ohio for a regatta. Boat hull is 198 lbs, and with mast, boom, sails, cover, probably no more than 250. I assume the trailer would be 200-250, but as it's a borrowed boat, I don't know for sure. So all together, I'm assuming 500 lbs roughly. Towing vehicle is 1.8 l Honda Civic automatic. I used to tow my own boat all over the place, but it was a manual Accord with a 2.2 L engine. So I would like to minimize the maximum grade I'll face.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.