News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 05, 2018, 02:42:07 PM
Quote from: hoosierguy on November 05, 2018, 12:17:34 PM
I don’t think building Sections 5 and 6 will be worth it given the enormous traffic headaches and fatalities they have caused.

disagree, this interstate is sorely needed.
Concur: Inconvenienced now, thankful later.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on November 06, 2018, 09:40:33 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on November 05, 2018, 02:42:07 PM
Quote from: hoosierguy on November 05, 2018, 12:17:34 PM
I don't think building Sections 5 and 6 will be worth it given the enormous traffic headaches and fatalities they have caused.

disagree, this interstate is sorely needed.
Concur: Inconvenienced now, thankful later.

Agreed.

I was just a bit taken aback in that this couldn't have been done 'under traffic' like how most other such upgrades are normally done.

Mike

seicer

"Enormous traffic headaches" and "fatalities" require citations. It's otherwise speculation.

Furthermore, "traffic headaches" is hyperbole. What does one expect with construction? That there is no inconvenience to motorists? If it pained someone during their commute on that particular road, take an alternate route, or reconsider the decision-making process on the rationale to move so far out of town. And "fatalities?" How many were caused by inattentive drivers in work zones? Or poor decision making on behalf of the driver? The improved road will ultimately lead to less accidents and fatalities on that facility.

silverback1065

The only problem with the project is the poor decision in company choice to build it.   

westerninterloper

Quote from: seicer on November 06, 2018, 10:14:37 AM
"Enormous traffic headaches" and "fatalities" require citations. It's otherwise speculation.

Furthermore, "traffic headaches" is hyperbole. What does one expect with construction? That there is no inconvenience to motorists? If it pained someone during their commute on that particular road, take an alternate route, or reconsider the decision-making process on the rationale to move so far out of town. And "fatalities?" How many were caused by inattentive drivers in work zones? Or poor decision making on behalf of the driver? The improved road will ultimately lead to less accidents and fatalities on that facility.

With GPS everywhere, anyone with half a brain who commutes through Mville regularly will be able to find a low-traffic alternative. There are plenty of back roads that will keep regulars from clogged, official routes.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

thefro

https://www.hoosiertimes.com/herald_times_online/news/local/traffic-tuesday-speed-limit-on-i--section-increased/article_055f4abd-881e-55e9-b400-1ea935d34f47.html

Speed limit signs being uncovered today on Section 5

QuoteAt about noon Monday, the posted speed limit for motorists heading northbound was still 45 mph from where Section 5 begins at the Rockport Road overpass through much of the Bloomington area. Near Oliver Winery there were three speed limit signs; one showing 55 mph when lights are flashing for construction workers, another showing 70 mph for general traffic and another showing 65 mph for trucks.

Crews started uncovering the new speed limit signs at the northern end of the project Monday, said department of transportation spokesman Scott Manning. They started working their way south and whatever they didn't get to Monday would be uncovered today, he said.

When finished, the speed limit on I-69 between Rockport Road and Kinser Pike will be 55 mph. It will be 70 mph between Kinser Pike and the Indian Creek Bridge in Morgan County for most vehicles.

Orange construction barrels had been moved back to the shoulders through most of Section 5 Monday, but there was an area just south of the Liberty Church Road interchange where northbound traffic was reduced to a single lane. This is one of several temporary closures motorists can expect as crews finish work outside the main travel lanes.

thefro

https://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/is-i-69-section-5-really-complete

Quote from: WYFIThe Indiana Department of Transportation says I-69 section 5 from Bloomington to Martinsville is "substantially complete."  But as of Wednesday, the stretch of Interstate still has several lane restrictions and requires drivers to follow work zone speed limits.

INDOT Strategic Communications Director Scott Manning says parts of the lane restrictions should be lifted Thursday.

"We define substantial completion as the key elements of a roadway being complete and open to traffic with minimal disruptions  to traffic, minimal lane restrictions," Manning says.

Temporary lane restrictions will likely continue over the next several weeks.

Manning says work on the interstate now consists of cleanup work and final touches.

"There will be times when all lanes will be open throughout the corridor, and that will generally be the case the majority of the time now that we're at substantial completion," Manning says.

Permanent speed limit signs are in place and uncovered, but Manning says flashing work zone speed limit signs will indicate when drivers need to slow down.

There's also a time-lapse/sped up video of them driving from Bloomington to Martinsville and back at the link

Ryctor2018

I drove the Interstate this week. Both directions from Martinsville to Bloomington & back, the mainlanes of the Interstate are completed. The lane closures look to be shoulder work or landscaping, sign work and other construction to the side of the highway. There are even several mileage signs up in both directions. Southbound Washington & Evansville are mentioned (I even saw one in section 4 before I turned around), and northbound Indianapolis is listed. Most of the closures are north of SR 46. The signage for Exit 114 (I-69/SR 37 split) needs updating headed northbound. The lanes are striped correctly, however the BGS and little green signs are from the pre-interstate state.
IMO, the freeway should be completely open by Thanksgiving. Most of the work left looks as if construction could be completed during off-peak hours.
By the way, section 4 is down to one lane between miles 111-112. Work on the hillside. Looks like INDOT is trying to 'shore it up'.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

tdindy88

Speaking of the mileage signs along I-69. The signs along Section 5 from Martisnville through Bloomington are slightly bigger than normal interstate mileage signs, similar to the signs you'd find in Kentucky or Ohio or Illinois. Mileage signs along this stretch of SR 37 before interstate conversion were this size as well, compared to say US 31 north of Indy which has the normal small mileage signs you'd find on other Indiana state highways.

However, the aforementioned sign at the beginning of Section 4 just south of Exit 114 seems to be a more typical interstate mileage sign in size. Also interesting, the first control point before Washington and Evansville is JCT SR 45/SR 445. This is technically not true since the interchange is only with SR 445, you can use it to reach SR 45 but that intersection is two miles away from the exit. I do hope we'll start seeing more of this signage along the rest of I-69 down to Evansville.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 09, 2018, 08:30:23 PM
Speaking of the mileage signs along I-69. The signs along Section 5 from Martisnville through Bloomington are slightly bigger than normal interstate mileage signs, similar to the signs you'd find in Kentucky or Ohio or Illinois. Mileage signs along this stretch of SR 37 before interstate conversion were this size as well, compared to say US 31 north of Indy which has the normal small mileage signs you'd find on other Indiana state highways.

However, the aforementioned sign at the beginning of Section 4 just south of Exit 114 seems to be a more typical interstate mileage sign in size. Also interesting, the first control point before Washington and Evansville is JCT SR 45/SR 445. This is technically not true since the interchange is only with SR 445, you can use it to reach SR 45 but that intersection is two miles away from the exit. I do hope we'll start seeing more of this signage along the rest of I-69 down to Evansville.

maybe not for long INDOT wants to get rid of 45

hoosierguy

Quote from: seicer on November 06, 2018, 10:14:37 AM

It isn't speculation. Spend a couple of minutes doing research.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/19/car-accidents-have-increased-during-69-construction-delays/389156001/

seicer

(Eye roll time)

"Traffic deaths also increased along the 21-mile stretch of highway, but Indiana Department of Transportation officials say none of the six deaths since construction began were directly related to the work."

I mean, one of the accidents they cited was a driver who had fallen asleep at the wheel.

"As both INDOT and Indiana State Police pointed out, any time there is construction, accidents typically increase."

Duh.

Do better.

hoosierguy

Of course the state will claim they are not responsible for traffic accidents. It is in their interest to avoid culpability. The driver who fell asleep and hit a semi would have ended up in the grassy median if the lanes hadn't been shifted.

"The longer you have this project going on, the more likely people are to get injured or even killed,"  said state Rep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington. "That's pretty serious stuff, let alone the other issues of people being frustrated about being stuck in traffic, or people not wanting to come to Bloomington."

And the piss poor management of the project is hurting towns like Washington that haven't seen any economic development from the interstate years after it was completed.

Duh. Do better.

civeng

Large number of citizens request project -> Government builds it -> Minority complains loudly about project -> Repeat

hbelkins

Quote from: hoosierguy on November 12, 2018, 03:18:12 PM
And the piss poor management of the project is hurting towns like Washington that haven't seen any economic development from the interstate years after it was completed.

Washington is probably going to benefit more from traffic coming north from Evansville, not south from Indy. To me it's a stretch to blame any lack of growth there on the construction to the north.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

edwaleni

Quote from: hbelkins on November 13, 2018, 12:57:24 PM
Quote from: hoosierguy on November 12, 2018, 03:18:12 PM

Washington is probably going to benefit more from traffic coming north from Evansville, not south from Indy. To me it's a stretch to blame any lack of growth there on the construction to the north.

US 50 Bypass has been done for years and it hasn't brought much business/industry to Washington. I-69 is even farther south and east of that bypass. I foresee a splattering of truck stops, fast food entities and various road side establishments until more of the route is completed nationally.

Then it will start appearing in logistics planners as a possible destination.

If US50 gets more attention in the Cincy-StL route then perhaps something will happen, but we are talking 25-30 years in the future.

thefro

Quote from: edwaleni on November 13, 2018, 07:01:09 PMIf US50 gets more attention in the Cincy-StL route then perhaps something will happen, but we are talking 25-30 years in the future.

That seems pretty doubtful since the Indiana hasn't shown much interest in making US 50 4 lanes across the entire state.  Getting the North Vernon bypass finally built (which is only 2 lanes) only happened because of a backroom deal to get Daylight Savings time passed.

SW Indiana

I read part of the History of the Interstate System in Indiana, which is a really good read, and part of the "deal" that was made to move I-64 from the US 50/150 corridor to where it is now was Indiana agreed to upgrade 50 across the entire state as a four lane road. Obviously that never happened and probably won't anytime soon. I think Illinois was as well, and again.. obviously didn't.  INDOT had it on their list up until around 2008 or 2010, I think, to do the section between Washington and Bedford, then removed it.

INDOT even still has right of way to construct it through part of Martin County. It's my understanding it was purchased in the 1970's.

Link to the Martin County GIS screenshot showing the route: https://screenshots.firefox.com/zGfIwV7Jo0VasQgk/martinin.elevatemaps.io

I know this has strayed off topic. My apologies.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: SW Indiana on November 16, 2018, 01:08:39 PM
I read part of the History of the Interstate System in Indiana, which is a really good read, and part of the "deal" that was made to move I-64 from the US 50/150 corridor to where it is now was Indiana agreed to upgrade 50 across the entire state as a four lane road. Obviously that never happened and probably won't anytime soon. I think Illinois was as well, and again.. obviously didn't.  INDOT had it on their list up until around 2008 or 2010, I think, to do the section between Washington and Bedford, then removed it.
If they ever wanted to revisit that plan and perhaps modify it to lessen some cost, they could just piggyback US 50 onto I-69, run it to IN-54, make an exit there and run the road down and perhaps around the north side of Bedford.  That would seem to be cheaper than making the current route 4 lanes around Loogootee, Shoals (have to miss the jug rox), and through the Hoosier National Forest.  That would be probably about 15-20 miles of new terrain route compared to 40 miles with some twinning on the current route.

Bobby5280

I think it's kind of funny how Exit 50 on I-65 in Indiana is the exit for US-50.

US 41

Quote from: thefro on November 16, 2018, 12:37:12 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on November 13, 2018, 07:01:09 PMIf US50 gets more attention in the Cincy-StL route then perhaps something will happen, but we are talking 25-30 years in the future.

That seems pretty doubtful since the Indiana hasn't shown much interest in making US 50 4 lanes across the entire state.  Getting the North Vernon bypass finally built (which is only 2 lanes) only happened because of a backroom deal to get Daylight Savings time passed.

The distance from St Louis to Cincinnati via Indianapolis on I-70 and 74 is 350 miles.

The distance from St Louis to Cincinnati via Louisville on I-64 and I-71 is 359 miles.

The distance from St Louis to Cincinnati using US 50 is 347 miles.

There's a reason that this idea has not gained much traction.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Life in Paradise

Quote from: US 41 on November 17, 2018, 10:33:32 AM
Quote from: thefro on November 16, 2018, 12:37:12 PM

It wouldn't be any sort of time saver for traffic from St. Louis, but for southern Indiana traffic from Vincennes, Washington, Bedford, and Seymour it would be.  Of course it is not a major deal for INDOT to create a way for Indiana traffic to travel to Ohio, but it would be a good corridor for business across Southern Indiana like the Lafayette-Fort Wayne and Indianapolis to Bedford corridors.

The distance from St Louis to Cincinnati via Indianapolis on I-70 and 74 is 350 miles.

The distance from St Louis to Cincinnati via Louisville on I-64 and I-71 is 359 miles.

The distance from St Louis to Cincinnati using US 50 is 347 miles.

There's a reason that this idea has not gained much traction.
The difference wouldn't mean anything to those living near St. Louis, but could make a difference to those in Vincennes, Washington, Bedford, and Seymour.    That would also be a useful Southern Indiana corridor.

silverback1065

just drove it for the first time today.  none of the SR 37 signs had the north plate on them yet.  All of them used the same ugly incorrect font.  No mention of 45 where it's cosigned with 69 and 37.  for some reason if you are at the split going southbound one of the bgs mentions 37 on the wrong sign. 

tdindy88

That 37 shield was added to the sign during the Section 5 construction for some reason. I'm still trying to wrap my head as to why. Maybe it made sense back then, but I don't think it did since.

hbelkins

Quote from: US 41 on November 17, 2018, 10:33:32 AM

I would never have guessed the Indy route was shorter. To me, it seems like you're going too far north to head back south.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.