News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

As I've said many times earlier, I won't recognize subtropical systems, and as such I won't recognize Alberto unless it becomes fully tropical, thus creating a situation like I have in 2007 where I start from Barry (leaving Andrea unused until 2013).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 27, 2018, 06:29:30 AM
As I've said many times earlier, I won't recognize subtropical systems, and as such I won't recognize Alberto unless it becomes fully tropical, thus creating a situation like I have in 2007 where I start from Barry (leaving Andrea unused until 2013).

What does "recognizing" it entail?

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 27, 2018, 06:29:30 AM
Alberto is now a TD.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

Yup, but anyway it should have remained unnamed, as it was not tropical while a storm and not a storm while tropical. Thus I'll be marking Alberto as unused this year, much like Nicole 2004 (and thus jumping from Matthew to Otto in the end) and Andrea 2007 (thus starting with Barry).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 30, 2018, 03:27:40 PM
Yup, but anyway it should have remained unnamed, as it was not tropical while a storm and not a storm while tropical. Thus I'll be marking Alberto as unused this year, much like Nicole 2004 (and thus jumping from Matthew to Otto in the end) and Andrea 2007 (thus starting with Barry).

OK, what's that supposed to mean?  It's been a named storm.  Nothing you say or do will change that.  And because it wasn't a major issue, the name will return in 7 years.

ET21

First tropical system to affect Chicagoland since 2012 when we had Isaac and the wind field of Sandy
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CNGL-Leudimin

More "unrecognitions" from me. This time I don't recognize what the JTWC called "tropical storm" 07W back in mid June, simply because it was an extratropical low embedded within a stationary front (as analyzed by Japan).

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 02, 2018, 08:13:29 AM
More "unrecognitions" from me. This time I don't recognize what the JTWC called "tropical storm" 07W back in mid June, simply because it was an extratropical low embedded within a stationary front (as analyzed by Japan).

Does Japan name their storms? I would say that after giving a potential storm a number, deciding not to name it is already a way of "unrecognizing" it.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

CNGL-Leudimin

This is a Pacific hurricane, not an Atlantic one. Anyway we don't need a separate thread for Atlantic.
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 06, 2018, 04:39:51 PM
So when Did Hector decide to become a step away from Cat 5?

When Hurricane Hunters investigated it. It may have been category 5 briefly. What is even better, some models take Hector all the way to Japan! But that is still far out (GFS has already given out on that possibility, but the Euro, considered more reliable, still carries that). Anyway, it's rare to see a typhoon with an Eastern Pacific (out to -140°) name, but it has happened a handful times (last time in 2014 with typhoon Genevieve).

Interstate 69 Fan

2018 WPAC typhoon season could be one of the most active on record. Soulik, and soon to be Cimaron (which should've been retired in 2006) will be the earliest 18th and 19th storms in the basin in recorded history.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Interstate 69 Fan

Lane a major threat to Hawaii. Winds are presently 150 mph. 2 of the models on tropical tidbits calls for more strengthening to 160 mph+.

Interests in HI need to continue, or to start, watching Lane VERY closely. This may be the most significant storm since Iniki.

EDIT: Just shy of Category 5 now. Winds of 155 mph!

EDIT: CAT 5

paulthemapguy

So far it looks like Lane is going to hit Oahu sometime on late Thursday or Friday.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

CNGL-Leudimin

Lane now category 5!!! Now that's crazy (but not unseen, the longest-lasting tropical cyclone ever, hurricane/typhoon John of 1994, was also a cat. 5 South of Hawaii).

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 22, 2018, 07:12:51 AM
Lane now category 5!!! Now that's crazy (but not unseen, the longest-lasting tropical cyclone ever, hurricane/typhoon John of 1994, was also a cat. 5 South of Hawaii).
Amazing.

Hurricane Rex

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Lane stays CAT 3 as its turning around Oahu.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Lane now down to a cat 1

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

Lane is now only a minimal tropical depression, and will likely be declared post-tropical in 2 hours. If not 2, then 8.

Newly formed Tropical Storm Jebi in the West Pacific could become the next (fifth) Category 5 of 2018.

Jelawat was, IMO, a Category 5. I rarely see a 150 mph Cat 4 with a pressure of 915 mb.

CNGL-Leudimin

I was waiting for Lane to dissipate, given it was already a depression two days ago.

I should note that average pressure on Western Pacific is lower than on the Atlantic. So, it is perfectly possible to get a 130 mph (10 minute) cat 4 with a pressure of 915 mbar, in fact any category 5 super typhoon is almost guaranteed to have a minimum pressure under 900 mbar (That is, according to the Dvorak technique, Japan almost always underestimates intensity of typhoons). Anyway, I think Hector was a cat 5 for a while.

Interstate 69 Fan

Hector totally was a Cat 5 IMO, in between recon missions. I think Hector's peak was approx. 158 mph

Interstate 69 Fan

Well then. Not one but TWO cat 5's maybe with us soon.
Norman has winds of 150 mph presently. The NHC do forecast it to reach Category 5 by 8 PM tonight.
Jebi on the other hand IMO is already there. Only 140 mph officially, but they updated the latest on it after their advisory, so the track from the JTWC is when the storm had 125 mph winds, which calls for a 150 mph peak, which I think is VERY underestimated. Jebi is showing unprecedented rapid deepening, might reach 175-180 mph.
I mean, just look at that eye! https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#25W Pinhole! I don't know how they got 125 mph from that originally. Looks deserving of 160 IMO.

CNGL-Leudimin

Jebi already a Cat 5. As always the Japanese Meteorological Agency is underestimating its power, saying it has 10 minute sustained winds of only 115 mph as opposed to 140 mph obtained by extrapolation from the 1 minute figure of 160 mph (the conversion factor being about 1.14, but this is approximate and doesn't always occur).

Interstate 69 Fan

175 mph. Holy moly. Plus Norman is weakening now.

Interstate 69 Fan

Invest 99L targets the Gulf Coast... poised to become Gordon. 80% chance to form in 5 days.

Hurricane Rex

TS Gordon is a thing now, forcast to become a near-hurricane to a cat 1 by Landfall in Mississippi or Alabama in 36 hrs or less.

Florence is staying in open waters and probably won't reach hurricane strength.

Another tropical wave has a 50/50 shot of developing into a storm, would be Helene.

After that, beware the I.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.