News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

That said, WAFB, out of Baton Rouge, has a page of links concerning the various river levels in SE Louisiana:
https://www.wafb.com/weather/river-stages/?fbclid=IwAR1hTi9REaL6OOralY6Si1pBQYZFWg1EtmUUdkXqACnTRFEWiUKGKImLzhM

Mississippi River @ Baton Rouge

Mississippi River @ New Orleans

Atchafalaya River @ Morgan City (Eye of Barry is supposed to come ashore near here)

Amite River @ Denham Springs (Eastern suburb of Baton Rouge)

Comite River @ Central (NE suburb of Baton Rouge)

Tangipahoa River @ US 190 (west of Hammond, north of New Orleans)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bing101

kalvado

I think we have proof that tariffs actually work. Barry is the first real US-made storm, replacing those imported from Africa...

Hurricane Rex

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on August 12, 2019, 12:56:06 PM
https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/us-could-be-hit-with-9-major-hurricanes-this-year-experts-say/amp/

And the award for most outrageous/overexaggerated headline is...
SM-J737T

Yeah...Newspaper editors simply don't care anymore. And honestly, when the public is so gullible that they probably won't read the story and just share it based on the headline, who can blame them.

For what it's worth, and what Rex was hinting at...

QuoteIn the forecast, five to nine hurricanes are expected to hit stateside, with at least two of those classified as "major hurricanes."

By the way - the chance was 45% of this even happening.  The article could've also said there's a 55% chance this WON'T happen, but that doesn't sound as catchy.

CNGL-Leudimin

Atlantic is really quiet this year. Only today Tropical Storm Chantal has formed. IMO it should have been Barry, as Andrea wasn't a tropical storm per the Tropical Cyclone Report and thus it shouldn't have been named (In fact of the three iterations of Andrea so far I only recognize the 2013 one as it was the only Andrea to be fully tropical).

In another news, Tropical Storm Bailu (known in the Philippines as Ineng, the JTWC still has it as a TD but I consider any named system to have reached TS status) has formed in the Western Pacific. This would be just another storm if it wasn't for the fact Bailu replaces Haiyan in the Western Pacific name list.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 89

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 21, 2019, 02:52:00 PM
Atlantic is really quiet this year. Only today Tropical Storm Chantal has formed. IMO it should have been Barry, as Andrea wasn't a tropical storm per the Tropical Cyclone Report and thus it shouldn't have been named (In fact of the three iterations of Andrea so far I only recognize the 2013 one as it was the only Andrea to be fully tropical).

Meh, I'll follow the NHC's naming policies. There's no reason subtropical storms shouldn't be named.

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US 89 on August 21, 2019, 02:56:20 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 21, 2019, 02:52:00 PM
Meh, I'll follow the NHC's naming policies. There's no reason subtropical storms shouldn't be named.

Yeah. I'm going to trust the NHC, which is staffed with professionals, over the opinion of some rando on the Internet.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm seeing hurricane Dorian right between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. It may impact Florida as a major hurricane early next week...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

D-Dey65

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 28, 2019, 04:18:58 PM
I'm seeing hurricane Dorian right between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. It may impact Florida as a major hurricane early next week...
Oh, it will impact Florida.

CNGL-Leudimin

Dorian now Category 5!!! There had never been four consecutive years with a Cat. 5 hurricane in the Atlantic before.

tolbs17

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 01, 2019, 10:02:10 AM
Dorian now Category 5!!! There had never been four consecutive years with a Cat. 5 hurricane in the Atlantic before.
Seems to be more in the ocean than the land but things can change. Just keep watching!!!

US 89

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 01, 2019, 12:48:25 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 01, 2019, 10:02:10 AM
Seems to be more in the ocean than the land but things can change. Just keep watching!!!

The Bahamas would like to disagree with you. Dorian just tied the 1935 Labor Day hurricane's record for the strongest landfall ever in the Atlantic basin, with 185 mph sustained winds. The pressure is also record-setting, with the official 910 mb beating Irma's 914 mb record for the lowest pressure ever in the open Atlantic.

I haven't seen many damage photos from Abaco Island yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if parts of it were completely leveled. The death and destruction from this thing is going to be enormous.

Anyway, I'm not liking the trend I'm seeing in the latest models. It looks like the subtropical ridge is a bit stronger and the storm appears to be faster than initially thought, which could bring Dorian a lot closer to the US coastline, Florida in particular.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bing101

route56

It's now the meteorological mid-point of the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane season.

While Dorian was obviously the big focus, three more cyclones - Erin, Fernand, and Gabrielle, popped up in the atlantic. Only Fernand directly impacted land as a cyclone, striking northeast Mexico.

As of 8:00 EDT Today, 9/11/19, there are three "Invests" in the Atlantic, only one of which the NHC has more than a 20 percent chance of becoming a Tropical Cyclone.

There's an invest in the Eastern Pacific that the NHC thinks is really good to become a Tropical Cyclone (90 percent)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: route56 on September 11, 2019, 12:43:45 PM
It's now the meteorological mid-point of the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane season.

While Dorian was obviously the big focus, three more cyclones - Erin, Fernand, and Gabrielle, popped up in the atlantic. Only Fernand directly impacted land as a cyclone, striking northeast Mexico.

As of 8:00 EDT Today, 9/11/19, there are three "Invests" in the Atlantic, only one of which the NHC has more than a 20 percent chance of becoming a Tropical Cyclone.

There's an invest in the Eastern Pacific that the NHC thinks is really good to become a Tropical Cyclone (90 percent)
Only two of them actually have Invest designations. The one closest to the US, 95L, has a 60% chance. 94L is located close to Barbados, that probably won't form. And the unnumbered system just off the African coastline needs to be watched closely, most models have that storm either striking Florida or the Bahamas.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

CNGL-Leudimin

Fun fact about Gabrielle: It actually dissipated, and then regenerated so quickly there is no advisory gap on NHC's storm archive. It was killed on advisory 11, only to be redeclared a tropical storm just six hours later.

Meanwhile the Hawaiian list has started second round with tropical storm Akoni, the inaugural name back in 1982.

bing101

route56

The storm in question is not named yet, but the NHC has initiated advisories (Potential Tropical Cyclone Nine) and a Tropical Storm Warning has gone up over part of the Bahamas.

R.P.K.

route56

Looks like the now named Humberto will be a fish-spinner, albeit, there's a non-zero chance of it impacting Bermuda.

R.P.K.

US 89

Quote from: route56 on September 14, 2019, 06:17:23 PM
a fish-spinner, with a chance of impacting Bermuda

contradiction in terms

route56

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.