News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Windows Vista

Started by tolbs17, July 12, 2019, 01:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Windows Vista absolutely sucked. The family and I got a Dell Inspiron with Vista for Christmas in 2007. It was very slow, buggy and uncooperative. Microsoft made huge improvements with Windows 7.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 19, 2019, 01:55:56 AM
I miss the game Purble Place by the way. Who remembers playing it?
Oh, I do.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

In_Correct

Quote from: ET21 on July 18, 2019, 09:19:16 AM
I've had 95, 98, XP, 7, 8, and 10 on personal computers
Vista I only used when over at my grandparents
2000 I used when I took part in the bring your son to work day with my Dad, played PC games.

I can still get 95 games to work on my 10, with a little coding and registry key updates

How??  :-o  :confused:
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: epzik8 on July 20, 2019, 06:26:26 PM
Windows Vista absolutely sucked. The family and I got a Dell Inspiron with Vista for Christmas in 2007. It was very slow, buggy and uncooperative. Microsoft made huge improvements with Windows 7.

Microsoft seems to get every second Windows version at least somewhere close to right.  I owned, or used at work, every version of Windows between 3.0 and 10 on at least one PC each, before casting Win10 completely aside in favor of Linux Mint, once my newest laptop's warranty expired a few months ago. 

It was 3.0 fair, 3.1 good, 95 fair, 98 good, 98SE better, ME bad, NT4 good, 2000 fair, XP good, Vista fair, Win7 good, Win8 bad, Win10 fair.

I didn't have the problems with Vista that a lot of people had, but it was far from Microsoft's best.  In all of those cases, I got rid of Windows in favor of Linux, and performance on those machines more than doubled.  And once there was cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) major software available beginning about 15 years ago, there was, and is, no reason to ever install Windows again.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

ET21

Quote from: In_Correct on July 20, 2019, 09:11:04 PM
Quote from: ET21 on July 18, 2019, 09:19:16 AM
I've had 95, 98, XP, 7, 8, and 10 on personal computers
Vista I only used when over at my grandparents
2000 I used when I took part in the bring your son to work day with my Dad, played PC games.

I can still get 95 games to work on my 10, with a little coding and registry key updates

How??  :-o  :confused:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home
Mainly through this site or searching Google for how-to articles or vids on YouTube
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SectorZ

I had a desktop bought in 2007 with Vista. Had a good deal of issues with the OS, relative to XP before it, and 7 and then 10 after it. Had many issues when the first service park was installed.

Fortunately, 2 years in, the motherboard suffered some sort of failure and I just replaced the whole computer. That had Windows 7, and 7 years later was still doing well until I elected to upgrade to a better computer. 7 was damn stable.

tolbs17

Quote from: SectorZ on July 23, 2019, 07:10:02 PM
I had a desktop bought in 2007 with Vista. Had a good deal of issues with the OS, relative to XP before it, and 7 and then 10 after it. Had many issues when the first service park was installed.

Fortunately, 2 years in, the motherboard suffered some sort of failure and I just replaced the whole computer. That had Windows 7, and 7 years later was still doing well until I elected to upgrade to a better computer. 7 was damn stable.

I think i had the same problem back in the day. SP1 sucked and SP2 was much better. I didn't go to windows 7 until 2011.

tolbs17

Could people get Windows Vista back in November 2006?

ipeters61

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 06:11:10 PM
I remember when it came out and my uncle told me he could get it through his MSDN subscription.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

tolbs17

Quote from: ipeters61 on July 28, 2019, 11:08:11 AM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 06:11:10 PM
I remember when it came out and my uncle told me he could get it through his MSDN subscription.

So people could get it back then interesting. I was thinking no one could get it until January 2007.

tolbs17

I love this desktop background..

tolbs17

What I DID hate about Vista was that when I play shockwave games, the Shockwave player would crash. It would get on my nerves.  :banghead:

That was a major downside for me at least.

ErmineNotyours

I was in the studio audience for the Windows ME launch video staring Bill Nye.  I've been looking for a copy of it ever since, but have never found one.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on July 20, 2019, 10:52:09 PM
Microsoft seems to get every second Windows version at least somewhere close to right.  I owned, or used at work, every version of Windows between 3.0 and 10 on at least one PC each, before casting Win10 completely aside in favor of Linux Mint, once my newest laptop's warranty expired a few months ago. 

It was 3.0 fair, 3.1 good, 95 fair, 98 good, 98SE better, ME bad, NT4 good, 2000 fair, XP good, Vista fair, Win7 good, Win8 bad, Win10 fair.

I didn't have the problems with Vista that a lot of people had, but it was far from Microsoft's best.  In all of those cases, I got rid of Windows in favor of Linux, and performance on those machines more than doubled.  And once there was cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) major software available beginning about 15 years ago, there was, and is, no reason to ever install Windows again.

I've got a slightly different opinion:  3.0 bad, 3.1 good, 95 fair, 98 fair, 98SE good, ME skipped this one, NT4 good, 2000 fair, XP good, Vista fair, Win7 good, Win8 fair, Win10 bad

Back in the days before widespread IT professionals, I had to serve as a network administrator using first Lantastic and later NetWare.  The migration from DOS to Windows was terrible, and even when Windows 3.1 came out many of our secretarial support staff refused to use it.  There are still several file management things that I have to do in DOS because Windows never provided those capabilities:  C: DIR\P > directory_listing.txt

Although I've got a Computer Science degree, I've not ever tried to keep us with this part of the industry (catchphrase: I don't do Windows).  Until my son came along, I was pretty bad about keeping ancient technology running and skipping generations.  I'm still using a Vista machine as my backup server, albeit permanently disconnected from the Internet.  And this machine is running Windows 8.1 under Windows 7 emulation with the start button removed.  I've got a hand-made "start button" icon in the bottom left of the Taskbar that executes the Windows shutdown command.  I recently had to reorganize my Taskbar icons because the most frequently used button was too close to the hard Shutdown function.  :ded:

Takumi

I can't say I've ever used Vista. I know for sure I haven't owned a computer with it. My laptops went from XP to 7 to 10.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bwana39

I had a Vista machine way too long. Vista was a GREAT OS. The problem with Vista was the security interface. It either was on and allowed users to do hardly anything (even open some software) or you turned the safety completely off and anything went.

It literally was less secure than XP unless you allowed the security interface to run. My personal least favorite was Windows 8. They took away beloved features and added little if anything.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

JoePCool14

Vista was just a worse version of 7. 8 was just a worse version of 10.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 13, 2019, 04:13:15 AM
I had to do an emergency purchase of a computer in college when my laptop got water spilled on it and wouldn't function. It came with Windows Vista on it. I hadn't ever used Vista so I decided I'd mess around with it for a while to try to form an opinion on it.

30 minutes later I was formatting the hard drive and installing Linux.

:clap:

kkt

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on March 28, 2021, 10:39:23 PM
I was in the studio audience for the Windows ME launch video staring Bill Nye.  I've been looking for a copy of it ever since, but have never found one.

MS and Bill Nye hired a hit squad to track down and destroy any remaining copies.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.