Bands that change singers: for better or worse?

Started by hbelkins, February 24, 2021, 04:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Back to the topic at hand, one band that I am curious to see what they do now is Fleetwood Mac.  It was about a year or 2 ago that Lindsey Buckingham was fired and replaced by former Tom Petty guy, Mike Campbell. I have not heard anything one way or the other about it.

Oh and IMO, Pink Floyd was more creative without Roger Waters. High Hopes is my favorite album front to back by them.
*prepares to brace for vases thrown my way*
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2021, 08:50:42 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 20, 2021, 08:27:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 25, 2021, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2021, 10:46:27 AM
I'd forgotten Genesis. The style of music changed, but I always thought Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins weren't all that different vocally. It wasn't the drastic change that you got when Hagar replaced Roth in Van Halen.

Here's another one I forgot. Rush. 1970s Geddy Lee vs. 2000s Geddy Lee.  :-D The way "2112" was tuned down as early as the "Different Stages" live set showed just how much his voice had changed. Somewhere on YouTube there's a clip of various live versions of "Tom Sawyer" that purports to demonstrate his vocal changes, but to me it's not that noticeable on that song.

I'm amazed at how little Paul Stanley's range has deteriorated. He doesn't sound a great deal different now than he did when Kiss was filling arenas.

Quote from: texaskdog on February 25, 2021, 12:03:43 AM
where did the Spinal Tap drummer idea come from?  So many bands seem to have that rotating position they can't keep filled.

I think that "spontaneously combusting drummer" thing was just supposed to be a joke within the joke.

No Van Roth was not the same band as Van Hagar, but I personally liked em both. Too bad nobody gave Hagar a chance, being many were thinking he tried to take over ole Dave's job and missed him.

I thought that in Bad Company, the replacement on Holy Water did a good job for being a replacement.

I actually preferred the Hagar era. Better songs lyrically and wider range musically because Hagar could play guitar too. Diamond Dave was a great front man with a voice but you never saw him pick up an instrument.

Actually, he played acoustic guitar on stage when they played "Ice Cream Man." The one time I saw them, the guitar was emblazoned with the word "Davesicle."  :-D I never saw Van Hagar live, but did Sammy ever play guitar on any of their songs on stage?
Damn right he did. I saw Sammy about 10 years ago in Milwaukee with his band the Cabo Wabos and Michael Anthony. He played either acoustic guitar or rhythm guitar on 3/4 of the songs for the 2 hour set. Great show. One of my top 5 ever.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hbelkins

Oh, I know Sammy played guitar. I was wondering how much he played during Van Halen concerts.

One of my favorite newer albums is "At Your Service" by Sammy Hagar & The Circle. Mikey is on bass, Jason Bonham on drums, and an unsung hero named Vic Johnson on guitar. That album is chock full of songs from Sammy's Montrose days, his solo albums, his days with Van Halen, and some Led Zeppelin thrown in as an ode to Bonham's father. (In some between-song banter, Bonham refers to the band as "Red Zeppelin.") It doesn't sound like Sammy plays much guitar on that album, and most of the axe work is left to Johnson.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hobsini2

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2021, 09:10:27 PM
Oh, I know Sammy played guitar. I was wondering how much he played during Van Halen concerts.

One of my favorite newer albums is "At Your Service" by Sammy Hagar & The Circle. Mikey is on bass, Jason Bonham on drums, and an unsung hero named Vic Johnson on guitar. That album is chock full of songs from Sammy's Montrose days, his solo albums, his days with Van Halen, and some Led Zeppelin thrown in as an ode to Bonham's father. (In some between-song banter, Bonham refers to the band as "Red Zeppelin.") It doesn't sound like Sammy plays much guitar on that album, and most of the axe work is left to Johnson.
Vic Johnson is definitely underrated. So was his female bassist. I got to look her name up.

hobsini2

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 20, 2021, 09:15:46 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2021, 09:10:27 PM

Vic Johnson is definitely underrated. So was his female bassist. I got to look her name up.
Thanks to wiki...
former Tommy Tutone bassist Mona Gnader

bwana39

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 20, 2021, 08:53:16 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2021, 08:50:42 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 20, 2021, 08:27:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 25, 2021, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2021, 10:46:27 AM
I'd forgotten Genesis. The style of music changed, but I always thought Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins weren't all that different vocally. It wasn't the drastic change that you got when Hagar replaced Roth in Van Halen.

Here's another one I forgot. Rush. 1970s Geddy Lee vs. 2000s Geddy Lee.  :-D The way "2112" was tuned down as early as the "Different Stages" live set showed just how much his voice had changed. Somewhere on YouTube there's a clip of various live versions of "Tom Sawyer" that purports to demonstrate his vocal changes, but to me it's not that noticeable on that song.

I'm amazed at how little Paul Stanley's range has deteriorated. He doesn't sound a great deal different now than he did when Kiss was filling arenas.

Quote from: texaskdog on February 25, 2021, 12:03:43 AM
where did the Spinal Tap drummer idea come from?  So many bands seem to have that rotating position they can't keep filled.

I think that "spontaneously combusting drummer" thing was just supposed to be a joke within the joke.

No Van Roth was not the same band as Van Hagar, but I personally liked em both. Too bad nobody gave Hagar a chance, being many were thinking he tried to take over ole Dave's job and missed him.

I thought that in Bad Company, the replacement on Holy Water did a good job for being a replacement.

I actually preferred the Hagar era. Better songs lyrically and wider range musically because Hagar could play guitar too. Diamond Dave was a great front man with a voice but you never saw him pick up an instrument.

Actually, he played acoustic guitar on stage when they played "Ice Cream Man." The one time I saw them, the guitar was emblazoned with the word "Davesicle."  :-D I never saw Van Hagar live, but did Sammy ever play guitar on any of their songs on stage?
Damn right he did. I saw Sammy about 10 years ago in Milwaukee with his band the Cabo Wabos and Michael Anthony. He played either acoustic guitar or rhythm guitar on 3/4 of the songs for the 2 hour set. Great show. One of my top 5 ever.

I was at the VERY first VanHalen concert with Sam. Hirsch Coliseum Shreveport LA.  He played. Sam played the solo from "I can't drive 55" hanging off a mezzanine catwalk. Eddie was terrified that Sam was going to fall.  He rarely, if ever failed to have and play an axe (a Flying V).
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 25, 2021, 12:42:01 AM
Chester Bennington fronted both Linkin Park and Stone Temple Pilots for a time after Scott Weiland was kicked out of STP. Eventually it got to be too much and he left STP, I'm not sure if Chester did an album with them or not. Of course, both of those guys are tragically gone now.

I saw Linkin Park and they kicked my ass.  Chester was great.

I saw Stone Temple Pilots twice and Velvet Revolver.  Scott Weiland was the weak point in Velvet Revolver.  The first time I saw Stone Temple Pilots, they opened for Aerosmith. It was lackluster. Steven Tyler would have allowed nothing less.   The second time I saw Stone Temple Pilots (Still with Wieland), they were literally the Second Best Show I ever saw.  Queen was the best. Boston was 3rd.

hobsini2

Quote from: bwana39 on March 20, 2021, 09:26:19 PM
Chester Bennington fronted both Linkin Park and Stone Temple Pilots for a time after Scott Weiland was kicked out of STP. Eventually it got to be too much and he left STP, I'm not sure if Chester did an album with them or not. Of course, both of those guys are tragically gone now.

I saw Stone Temple Pilots twice and Velvet Revolver.  Scott Weiland was the weak point in Velvet Revolver.  The first time I saw Stone Temple Pilots, they opened for Aerosmith. It was lackluster. Steven Tyler would have allowed nothing less.   The second time I saw Stone Temple Pilots, they were literally the Second Best Show I ever saw.  Queen was the best. Boston was 3rd.
Queen with Freddy? Or with Adam Lambert in place? I'm jealous if it was the former.

bwana39

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 20, 2021, 09:33:28 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on March 20, 2021, 09:26:19 PM

I saw Stone Temple Pilots twice and Velvet Revolver.  Scott Weiland was the weak point in Velvet Revolver.  The first time I saw Stone Temple Pilots, they opened for Aerosmith. It was lackluster. Steven Tyler would have allowed nothing less.   The second time I saw Stone Temple Pilots, they were literally the Second Best Show I ever saw.  Queen was the best. Boston was 3rd.
Queen with Freddy? Or with Adam Lambert in place? I'm jealous if it was the former.

August 9, 1980 Reunion Arena Dallas Texas.  Let me Entertain you! Guaranteed to blow your mind!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.