News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sports fans. What're your teams?

Started by OCGuy81, September 29, 2011, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

With the MLB playoffs kicking off, the middle of college football, and the NFL in full swing, it's a great time of year for sports! Love it when college football, NFL, and MLB all collide right now.

So who are your teams that you root for?

I'm a USC alum, so even with the controversy of late, I still say Go Trojans!!

NFL, I like the Chargers, and have an inkling they'll move to the new Farmers Field LA is building as they're likely sick of playing in the aging Qualcomm Stadium.  Still, fun to go to games. If LA got the Raiders back..... :banghead:

And MLB...big Angels fan.  Sucks they didn't make it to October this year.  Oh well.

Alex

realjd

This time of year it's all about college football and English soccer for me. Purdue, UCF, and Arsenal.

I'm a Cowboys fan, and tried to get into either the Bucs or the Dolphins when I moved to Florida, but the Dolphins aren't often aired in the Orlando market and the Bucs are always blacked out. As a result, I've pretty much lost interest in pro football.

Baseball puts me to sleep. If I'm looking to be bored, I'd rather watch NASCAR. Both are monotonous and repetitive, both take too long, but at least NASCAR has a chance for fiery explosions.

Michael in Philly

Baseball is an art.  Go Phils, go!
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

english si

Excluding England teams (which are a given):
Soccer - Arsenal, Southampton, Watford
Rugger - Wasps
Cricket - Hampshire

I don't have enough access to American Football or a geographic location to have a team, though I do try and watch it when it's on. Baseball is dull - I'm sure the Brits/Irish chaps that invented it (you guys imported it from over here) just weren't artful enough to play cricket.

Michael in Philly

^^Baseball is not dull to those who understand it.  (Even a casual fan who was watching Wednesday night wouldn't have said that was dull.)  And [myth mode on] it was invented by Abner Doubleday,[myth mode off] who was later one of the defenders of Fort Sumter.  At least a match doesn't go on for days, with breaks for tea.  :-P
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

1995hoo

Washington Capitals (hockey is far and away my favorite sport)
Washington Nationals
Ferrari F1 team
University of Virginia football (I got my undergraduate degree from UVA)
University of Virginia baseball

Then a big dropoff to
Washington Redskins (once upon a time my favorite, but I just don't enjoy football as much anymore)
DC United

I don't watch the NBA when they're playing, and I don't watch much college basketball anymore either. If I watched college basketball I'd be watching UVA and Duke (I got my JD from Duke).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

Not the Red Sox, this year. I have to throw out about 1 out of every 2 or 3 baseball seasons for spoilage, and it looks like this will be one of them. Fair weather forever :-)

I'm finding myself climbing aboard the Lions bandwagon. And even the Raiders are looking respectable :-/
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

I have to admit, there's been a surging interest in the NFL over the pond lately. Surprised how much interest there is for the sport at another forum I'm at (a 50/40/10 North American/European/Antipodean mix of users) compared to a decade ago.

Been a Dolphin fan since I moved to South Florida 1982. I was fortunate (or unfortunate?) to get on board when they were very good, and remarkably consistent until around 2001 or so.

Jumped on the NBA bandwagon around the same time, picked the LA Lakers as they were one of the few teams televised on Sundays. When Miami got the Heat in 1988, I got on what would be a very slow climb (albeit a realistic one) to success. I mean, in that first season, if they lost by less than 20 points, that was considered a good game.

Can't say I'm a big baseball or hockey fan; I've been to my fair share of Marlins and Panthers games, but it usually bores me on TV. Hockey is one of those events that TV rarely does justice to it. Baseball is fun to go to with a bunch of your buds and chit-chat and socialize. I don't know why, it's just more fun that way. Success is fleeting for these teams, and I think it's only a matter of time before the Panthers wind up in a more deserving city (they were a hot ticket from 1993 to 2000, but they literally give away thousands of tickets nowadays, and free parking too against some of the smaller-fan base opponents). I feel kind of guilty about not going to Marlins games; I've been to 8 games, and they've won every one of them.

I finished off my degree at the University of Florida and spent a few years at Florida Atlantic University, so I root for their teams, naturally.

As you might guess form my username, I'm more of an auto racing fan. I've always been a fan of automobiles and what makes them tick (thanks, dad), so racing just literally comes with the territory. (Maps, history, and exploration have always been rather interesting to me too, so being interested in some of the things related to this site just kind of "completes the circle", if you will.)

While I won't stay up to 3am to catch the end of the Japanese Grand Prix anymore, I rarely sleep in for most of the European rounds of the Formula One World Championship (kids have me up by 7am anyhow). Thank goodness the VCR was around when I started enjoying motorsport (around 1986, with a lot of thanks to ESPN's then-too-tiny a budget to afford major sporting events), as I'd tape everything on wheels for a while there. I kind of lost interest midway through high school in anything other than NASCAR and F1 racing (although for a while, I was hooked on the World Rally Championship), due to a lack of time to completely geek-out, not to mention, I was driving by then. But before the internet was became a mainstream media, finding a fellow racing fan was near-impossible; the advantage was that if you had to tape an event, chances were infinitesimal that someone would ruin the results ("Wow, did you see that race?!? Who would have thought Jean Alesi was finally going to win one?").

The funny thing about motorsports is that I don't have a my-team-is-the-best favorite, I'm kind of dispassionate in that respect; sometimes I root for a driver, but sometimes they're good, and sometimes they're not...and they're out of the limelight. But if a certain set of circumstances arises, then I root for a driver, team, or marque because there's something interesting about them (or maybe I drive one of their related products). Or the rare times an American is actually competing. I've kind of lost interest in NASCAR, what with the Car of Tomorrow, many of the drivers being less interesting than before — although this may be because the ones I'm used to have long since retired/died — and the regulations seem to be created and ignored on a whim, as if the rules exist only on a write board, but indiscriminately applied. Don't get me wrong, F1's rules are on the verge of silly; you'd need a degree to fully understand the FIA's Technical Regulations and Sporting Regulations, and they are no longer as classically simple due to exploitation by teams and drivers.

nexus73

North Bend Bulldogs.  Oregon State Beavers.  SF 49'ers.  Oakland Raiders.  Those have been my teams to root for since 1967, when I got into sports.  Since then I've added the Portland Timbers to my list of teams I watch even though they play futbol instead of football.  The Timbers Army has the most spirit outside of the SEC.  My personal saying is, "There's two seasons...Football Season and Waiting For Football Season!"...LOL!

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

OCGuy81

QuoteSF 49'ers.  Oakland Raiders

That's pretty cool.  Most Bay Area folks I know fall into one camp or the other, and it can be a rivalry.

nexus73

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 30, 2011, 12:52:25 PM
QuoteSF 49'ers.  Oakland Raiders

That's pretty cool.  Most Bay Area folks I know fall into one camp or the other, and it can be a rivalry.

Growing up, those were the two featured teams on TV every Sunday.  I liked the Raiders better since they were in the AFL but I also liked the Niners too.  My mother was born in SF and her mother was born in Oakland. 

Nowadays the Seahawks have the priority for being shown and we miss out on a number of Raider and Niner games.  That sure hurt when Dallas played at SF earlier in the season. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bugo

Quote from: Michael in Philly on September 30, 2011, 11:33:38 AM
^^Baseball is not dull to those who understand it.  (Even a casual fan who was watching Wednesday night wouldn't have said that was dull.)  And [myth mode on] it was invented by Abner Doubleday,[myth mode off] who was later one of the defenders of Fort Sumter.  At least a match doesn't go on for days, with breaks for tea.  :-P

I understand baseball very well (I have been watching it off and on my whole life) but I still think it's dull.  I do like attending games in person, but watching it on TV bores me to tears.

bugo

I'm a huge Arkansas Razorbacks fan.  I like college football and basketball.  I watch football for the Razorbacks, and for upsets.  I love seeing arrogant highly ranked teams get spanked by 3rd rate programs.

I used to like the NFL but I couldn't give a fuck about it anymore.  I haven't watched a game all year.

WNYroadgeek

Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills, New York Mets. :D

golden eagle

College football & basketball: Florida Gators (despite having the "golden eagle" nickname)
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NBA: Lakers
MLB: Yankees (AL), Cubs (NL)

jgb191

NFL: Houston Texans all the way!  (playoffs this year maybe?  hopefully?  possibly?)

NBA:  Houston Rockets.   I do generally cheer for all three Texas teams, but Rockets come first for me.

MLB:  I generally cheer for both the Astros and Rangers equally.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

huskeroadgeek

College football(actually all college sports)-Nebraska Cornhuskers(hence my screenname).
Nothing else even comes close for me, but I also have:
MLB-Kansas City Royals
NFL-San Francisco 49ers(though I'm starting to follow the Detroit Lions closer now because I have a sister-in-law from there and they have 3 former Nebraska players playing key roles on the team right now).

nyratk1

MLB: Mets
NHL: Rangers
NFL: Jets
NBA: don't care
NCAAF/BB/whatever: don't care, my alma mater isn't a huge sports school

Brandon

MBL, see my current avatar (BEAT THOSE F'N YANKEES!:pan:
NHL, Red Wings  :cheers:
NFL, varies between Lions (1), Bears (2), and Saints (3).  Currently it's the Lions since I don't need a paper bag over my head to watch them.
NBA, don't much care

College: Alma mater (MTU), then Big Ten (in order from MSU at the top to OSU and UM at the bottom, welcome to the Big Ten, huskeroadgeek - hope they beat UM, and OSU if they play them), then MAC.  SEC can suck it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Brandon on October 01, 2011, 06:50:40 AM
MBL, see my current avatar (BEAT THOSE F'N YANKEES!:pan:
NHL, Red Wings  :cheers:
NFL, varies between Lions (1), Bears (2), and Saints (3).  Currently it's the Lions since I don't need a paper bag over my head to watch them.
NBA, don't much care

College: Alma mater (MTU), then Big Ten (in order from MSU at the top to OSU and UM at the bottom, welcome to the Big Ten, huskeroadgeek - hope they beat UM, and OSU if they play them), then MAC.  SEC can suck it.
Thanks. We play OSU next week in our first Big Ten home game.

pianocello

College Football: Iowa
College Hoops: Michigan State
(I'll cheer for Michigan, Illinois and whoever plays Ohio State as well)
NFL: Detroit Lions (especially this season)
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Basically, for any other pro sport, I'll root for the Chicago team
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

ftballfan

College sports: Grand Valley State Lakers (I go there ;)), Michigan Wolverines, Michigan State Spartans, whoever is playing Ohio $tate
High school sports: Manistee Chippewas (my alma mater), Manistee Catholic Central Sabers
NFL: Detroit Lions (4-0 baby!!), Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots (former Michigan Man at QB)
MLB: Detroit Tigers (Yankees suck)
NBA: Don't care
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (Penguins suck)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Love seeing Ohio State haters from the territory, up north, that attempts to arrest citizens in other states who committed crimes elsewhere.  :pan:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 03, 2011, 09:14:32 PM
Love seeing Ohio State haters from the territory, up north, that attempts to arrest citizens in other states who committed crimes elsewhere.  :pan:

Considering that Ohio wasn't technically a state until 1953...and likes to pull over people for at the limit or slightly under...and let's not get into the police action at a certain U in the northeast part of the state in the seventies.  :pan:

Nice to see State kick OSU around last weekend.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.