News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Patrick Stewart Returns as Jean luc Picard

Started by roadman65, January 21, 2020, 11:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-picard/  The iconic starship captain of the late 80's and early 90's returns on the internet.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

If it's not the original, with the original cast, it's not "Star Trek." I can't stomach the follow-ups, and the remakes with others cast as the original crew members is heresy. The original series movies lost me when they decided that Klingons needed to have ridges on their heads.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

I just wish that this wasn't limited to CBS All Access. C'mon man!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 21, 2020, 01:45:26 PM

Seems like that is a thing now to draw people to streaming services.  My wife picked up Disney Plus for herself, the side benefit was that I was able to watch The Mandalorian (probably the best Star Wars anything since the original movies).  Likewise Disney hid a hot show behind a viewership streaming service.  The practice will probably continue until the content isn't good enough to draw interest from non-subscribers. 

In_Correct

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2020, 11:44:42 AM
https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-picard/  The iconic starship captain of the late 80's and early 90's returns on the internet.

I have been posting on Reddit to express my grievances towards Star Trek production staff (as a viewer) and I will say the same thing here.

It is not so much about the cast and the characters that is a problem in sequels. But is the story and the production quality. I have had problems with story and production quality with the previous Star Trek programmes.

One of my biggest gripes is the type of music. Rick Berman killed the sound track. New (at the time) musician Jay Chattaway changed his music immediately, and most of the time has very bad music until the end of Deep Space Nine. Even worse than Jay Chattaway (and you can not possibly get worse than the following person's music) is David Bell. A very talented musician that was dismissed towards the end of The Next Generation's Season 4 is Ron Jones, who I certainly missed by the time I watched (listened to) a David Bell episode. Occasionally they had other musicians such as Don Davis (who did Face Of The Enemy, one of the only times Deanna ever did any thing), John Debney, Richard Bellis, and Gregory Smith.

But there was another musician that lasted as long as 41 episodes. Had Star Trek: Enterprise made more episodes, he would have tied and even surpassed Ron Jones. I consider Paul Baillargeon, who worked for Rick Berman before either of them worked on Star Trek, to be the spiritual successor to Ron Jones.

The episode Who Watches The Watchers by Ron Jones and an episode Blink Of An Eye by Paul Baillargeon. Both are about space aliens that have never travelled in space before. When they did for the first time, there is pretty much identical music playing.

If it was not for Paul Baillargeon, I would have given up on Star Trek.

Paul Baillargeon, Dennis McCarthy, and Jay Chattaway are the same age as Patrick Stewart.

If he can return to Star Trek, so can they.

And so can Ron Jones. And the other musicians that I recommended.

Jeff Russo is only one man. If they could go back to 26 episodes with two or three programmes produced simultaneously, that would be important to have a variety of musicians again. I doubt Jeff Russo is going to make similar music.

My secondary gripe is when they have a character that is depicted as heroic such as [Garrovick] Wesley, Dax, [Nick] Tom Paris, and Trip.

At the same time, they slowly destroy the "different" characters such as what they did to Worf, and the slow death of Data.

I also miss the Edward R. Brown cinematography. However, I do not think I have that much to worry about from what I have seen on Discovery.

Another issue with Star Trek is that it has all ways been free to watch. But now, despite being on CBS, they only release it with their streaming service, as well as a few other streaming services, and Blu Ray. I think I will pick Blu Ray.

(and I am not interested in Disney. Streaming Services or any thing else. I avoid Disney like The Plague.)

And they have been including dogs as characters. Even if Patrick Stewart keeps many dogs, they all ready did this with Porthos.

Just as that other person typed, The only Star Trek is with Spock for them, but the only Number One is Majel Barrett's first character.

And continuing with the discussion about Klingon's foreheads: I never liked the production glitches they had. However, I hate some of the remastered episodes. I like how they sped up the stars when travelling at High Warp, but with Doomsday Machine initially had beautiful visual effects. And now they ruined The Planet Killer with cheap C.G.I..

Those are my only complaints with Star Trek.

I did not know that other people had complaints with Star Trek also. But these changes to The Klingons (the 1970s changes, not the recent ones) are approved by Gene Roddenberry.

Now on to the things I am delighted to see:

Patrick Stewart, both as Jean-Luc and as producer.

Jeri Ryan as Seven Of Nine. She needs to join the cast regularly, perhaps as a rival to Jean-Luc.

Michelle Hurd.

This means that I will most certainly be watching Star Trek: Picard. If the music is good, I will also listen to Star Trek: Picard. And if they have more episodes and more programmes, I will be able to watch them also.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2020, 02:59:58 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 21, 2020, 01:45:26 PM

Seems like that is a thing now to draw people to streaming services.  My wife picked up Disney Plus for herself, the side benefit was that I was able to watch The Mandalorian (probably the best Star Wars anything since the original movies).  Likewise Disney hid a hot show behind a viewership streaming service.  The practice will probably continue until the content isn't good enough to draw interest from non-subscribers.
And the thing is that that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I guess the more streaming options the better, but I already use Amazon and Netflix.

Rothman

I thought that was one of NE2's more timely and appropriate retorts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SP Cook

Enough of that. 

I still love all of the Star Trek versions through Enterprise.  All had an understanding for what the vision of the future Star Trek was about. 

The "rebooted"  current movie series is unwatchable.  I downloaded the current CBS pay show when I was out of the country (it is on Netflix outside the USA/Canada and Netflix subscriptions are worldwide) and it was yet worse unwatchable PC garbage. 

I expect to download Picard the same way (It is on Amazon elsewhere).    I am not expecting much.    Stewart is 80 years old, Frakes is 68.   Spiner, who was killed off in one of the movies because he could not longer pull off the robot look as he aged, is now 70.  Of the two female characters, Sirtis is now 64; and Ryan, who was in a different Star Trek series and has no previously known relationship to this one, is 51.  None have been seen, maybe except Stewart in a comic book movie, since the shows ended decades ago.  After the true Trekies get off on seeing the characters again, all you have is the adventures of an 80 year old man in the 23rd century.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SP Cook on January 22, 2020, 10:30:26 AM
After the true Trekies get off on seeing the characters again, all you have is the adventures of an 80 year old man in the 23rd century.

I mean, who's to say that can't be interesting in itself?

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 22, 2020, 10:36:58 AM

After the true Trekies get off on seeing the characters again, all you have is the adventures of an 80 year old man in the 23rd century.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 22, 2020, 10:36:58 AM

What about a 900 year old man who changes faces every 3-4 years? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rothman

I liked the first two Star Trek movies, but Beyond was indeed unwatchable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on January 22, 2020, 12:42:38 PM

Personally I thought Into Darkness was the weakest of the three.  Wedging Wrath of Kahn into the new timeline didn't really pay off. 

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 22, 2020, 12:56:07 PM

Personally I thought Into Darkness was the weakest of the three.  Wedging Wrath of Kahn into the new timeline didn't really pay off.
I agree.  The second one could have given some homage to Wrath of Kahn/Space Seed without ripping it off.  I was also tired of JJ Abrams' red stuff [ie- Alias, Lost, ST, STID (the magic blood)].

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 22, 2020, 01:59:54 PM

I agree.  The second one could have given some homage to Wrath of Kahn/Space Seed without ripping it off.  I was also tired of JJ Abrams' red stuff [ie- Alias, Lost, ST, STID (the magic blood)].

The first and third Abrams Star Movies I liked because they did something kind of different which Star Trek can really struggle with sometimes.  Mind you some of the characterizations of the original crew can be off compared to how they were in the TV show or original run of movies.  I don't find Kirk, Spock, and McCoy to be as far off the mark as they were portrayed in the original movies as some people do.   For what it's worth I tended to find the new Star Trek movies more enjoyable than the Star Wars movies.  Star Wars for the most part seems stuck in a mire of it's lore whereas Star Trek has more room to try different things. 

vdeane

Agreed.  Into Darkness had a cool plot focusing on Admiral Marcus, but then they threw it all away in favor of shoehorning in Khan.  It also continued the "college students in space" vibe that the previous movie had (in the previous movie's defense, they really were in the Academy at the time, as much as that doesn't make much sense).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

In_Correct

I do not mind at all about Seven Of Nine and Jean-Luc Picard in the same episode. This is not Star: Trek The Next Generation. Also, They have merged The Next Generation and Voyager a few times with Deanna and Barclay.

As for 80 year old characters it is no problem either. This is Star Trek: Many characters, even humans, have been many years old. You can tell that Jon Goodman has less energy yet he is still very active in The Conners. That is successful, so will Star Trek: Picard.

I all ways thought that Brent Spiner, just as other cast members that were fed up with their characters, did not like how Data was written in the movies.

As for The J.J. Movies I do not like them. I have had enough of Rick Berman so I was very optimistic about J.J. Abrams. The movies are fine. But just as what some body else typed that Star Trek is only The Spock Era Casts, I have Nick Named these episodes and movies Spock Trek since he is in every one of them. I still consider the title "Star Trek" (by itself) to be the 1960s episodes and movies including the Filmation programme, known for their repetitive sound effects. Unfortunately they have a cinema in 2009 named Star Trek also.

As for the characters in the reboots: The most successful in Spock Trek is the bond between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. It is unlikely they can recreate that again with other actors. Perhaps if the actors know and like each other before they auditioned. It could also be the script that is a little off.

What I hated most is the large amounts of destruction. They all ready killed off The Romulans and The Ferengi in the Mirror Universe, and now in these two other Universes they have destroyed the planets Romulus and Vulcan. It has taken for ever for them to continue where they left off. I am glad that Star Trek: Picard is being made. Data, The Romulans, The Vulcans, The Ferengi, etc. do not need to be forgotten.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

In_Correct

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

rickmastfan67

First episode is currently 'free' (from an official source) right now on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPm5l3o2zw

vdeane

I've been loving it so far.  Best Star Trek we've had since the end of Enterprise.  I don't understand why the critics seem to think it's slow, though?  Time just flew by as I was watching both, and they're reasonably paced... they found the happy medium between Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek (2009).  Maybe the critics have only seen the JJ Abrams movies?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.