News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Driving Forward OK

Started by Scott5114, October 29, 2015, 09:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The north part of the Indian Nation Turnpike is useful in getting from Tulsa to Dallas and points south. The south part is less useful.

Bobby5280

The upper part of the Indian Nation Turnpike between Henryetta to McAlester is only useful because it connects into the US-69 corridor heading directly to DFW. Overall the turnpike is sort of a road pointing nowhere. No offense to Antlers and Hugo, but those towns are too small to serve as the destination for a turnpike over 100 miles in length.

And then there's the backward idiocy present on the US-69 corridor South of McAlester. One would think if only certain portions of US-69 were going to be upgraded to a freeway or turnpike the segment between McAlester and the Red River would have received by far the highest priority. That segment of US-69 not only carries a huge amount of heavy truck traffic headed from Texas (and Mexico) to the Northeast US but it is also funneling Tulsa-Dallas traffic on the same road as well, hence the concurrency with US-75 on that stretch. But no. Our state's myopic, Oklahoma-only thinking legislators chose to upgrade most (but not all) of US-69 between McAlester and Muskogee. It's even more of a head-scratcher that they didn't upgrade US-75 between Tulsa and Henryetta into a freeway or turnpike, even in terms of Oklahoma-only thinking.

When they actually try to think in terms of larger corridors it's all fantasy world bull crap. I could only laugh at the pie in the sky stuff they were selling with the Clinton to Snyder turnpike idea. That was supposed to be Western Oklahoma's version of US-75, spurring all sorts of economic growth and be the first segment of what would be a Mexico to Canada corridor. The sales pitch was contradictory. On one hand the corridor would serve as a very big (and expensive) bypass avoiding all the traffic on I-35 and US-75/US-69. But then it was supposed to spur all sorts of growth in Western OK, which would create a whole lot of traffic if the ploy was successful. The proposal ignored so many variables that make US-75 and US-69 in Eastern OK so much more important. Maybe if there was a diagonal Interstate connecting OKC and Denver that might have given something like a Woodward to Clinton to Snyder turnpike some legitimacy. But not at all with the current Interstate network.

bugo

US 75 still has a traffic light in Glenpool. From Okmulgee all the way to Bartlesville with no traffic lights...except for that one. It gets really backed up during rush hour, as does SB US 75 just south of the I-244 split during the afternoon rush.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 15, 2017, 10:43:16 AM
Branding for the latter facility seems still to be a work in progress.  One set of plans has a variant of the road-dwindling-to-point marker with "E OK COUNTY" in place of "CIMARRON," "INDIAN NATION" etc., while another has advance guide signs for I-40 that identify it as "[floating dot] Placeholder [floating dot] Turnpike."

Didn't comment on it when it was new, but I took the time to extract this panel because I think it's hilarious to see.

I am hoping that somehow OTA fails to patch this out and the contractor actually fabricates a Placeholder Turnpike sign...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

It would be even funnier if the fix for that error were simply to name the whole thing Placeholder Turnpike.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

okc1

Like to see them name it the Pottawatomie Turnpike for that location is on Pottawatomie territory. They'd likely squeeze the letters together to fit - like we've seen elsewhere. Or redo the sign.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Brandon

Quote from: rte66man on January 17, 2018, 09:07:53 PM
Took a trip to Lawton today and was able to grab the following pics of the soon-to-open Elgin Toll Plaza between Chickasha and Lawton.

All of the pavement in both directions has been completed and striped.

What an ugly looking toll plaza.  Up here, our tollway authority has been building things like this: https://goo.gl/maps/HgrQRP8rXnq
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on February 01, 2018, 03:58:59 PM
What an ugly looking toll plaza.  Up here, our tollway authority has been building things like this: https://goo.gl/maps/HgrQRP8rXnq

What's the purpose of the walkway above the toll plaza?

[edited to add quote for clarity]
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 01, 2018, 07:52:40 PM

Is it a walkway? I thought it was a gantry for Pikepass readers.

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 01, 2018, 08:34:53 PM

Is it a walkway? I thought it was a gantry for Pikepass readers.

In the Google Maps link, not the visible photo.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Revive 755

[edited to add quote for clarity]

Most likely so the people manning the cash booths can get across the tollway safely without having to get in a vehicle.

Bobby5280

That toll plaza on I-88 likely cost a shit-ton of money to build. It looks like it has elevators on both sides of the highway. I would expect an air-conditioned, indoor highway crossing like that at a service plaza featuring restaurants and a convenience store. But all that just for a toll plaza? That's a bit much.

Bobby5280

I heard the new toll plaza on I-44 between Lawton and Chickasha will open next Tuesday evening, February 13. I wonder how long it will take to demolish the old toll plaza on the South side of Chickasha.

bugo

The new toll plaza on the Muskogee Turnpike at Coweta has been open for a few months now.

rte66man

That's an optical illusion.  Go back to post #149.  There is a closeup that shows each direction has 2 gantries, one for the signage and one for the Pikepass readers
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

hotdogPi

Quote from: rte66man on February 10, 2018, 08:21:11 AM

That's an optical illusion.  Go back to post #149.  There is a closeup that shows each direction has 2 gantries, one for the signage and one for the Pikepass readers

The walkway above the toll plaza in the link given is in Illinois. Post #149 is in Oklahoma. The walkway above the toll plaza definitely exists and is not an optical illusion.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

rte66man

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2018, 11:18:15 AM
Quote from: rte66man on February 10, 2018, 08:21:11 AM

Sorry, I thought they were referring to the Elgin, OK plaza.

The walkway above the toll plaza in the link given is in Illinois. Post #149 is in Oklahoma. The walkway above the toll plaza definitely exists and is not an optical illusion.

-Yogi Berra

In_Correct

I was on the Turnpike sections of Interstate 44. While Interstate 35 has much more traffic, Interstate 44 Turnpikes are filled with traffic.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Bobby5280

Even though I-44 doesn't have its number ending in a "5" or "0" it is still a major route in the Interstate system. It's basically the main road linking the NE United States to destinations in the Southwest US. The road needs at least 3 lanes in each direction between OKC and Tulsa. I think there's other stretches of it in Oklahoma and Missouri that should be widened as well.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 01, 2018, 03:32:45 PM
Even though I-44 doesn't have its number ending in a "5" or "0" it is still a major route in the Interstate system. It's basically the main road linking the NE United States to destinations in the Southwest US. The road needs at least 3 lanes in each direction between OKC and Tulsa. I think there's other stretches of it in Oklahoma and Missouri that should be widened as well.

I would second that.  Between those stretches, and I-40 between L.R. and Memphis should take care of most of the bottlenecks in mid-America.

Plutonic Panda

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

bugo

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 01, 2018, 03:32:45 PM

I-44 between OKC and St Louis is a major national route. I-44 "west" (really south) of OKC is a less important regional spur route. It really should be I-535.

Bobby5280

In it's current form between Wichita Falls and OKC it is a spur route. It's long enough to justify a 2-digit designation. I think the Interstate ought to be extended down to I-20 in Abilene, if not farther down to San Angelo. It wouldn't be hard to do. US-277 between Wichita Falls and Abilene has been four-laned and given a few near-Interstate quality upgrades in towns along the way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.