News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 93 In Arizona Progress

Started by swbrotha100, February 27, 2015, 03:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on May 24, 2021, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 10, 2020, 08:31:43 PM
Wikieup is a wide spot in the road with one good souvenir shop/convenience store, two overpriced gas stations across the highway (both of whom charge $1-1.50 per gallon above market price), and a couple of decent restaurants at the north end of town.  Most of whatever else used to exist along US 93 has long been abandoned.

There's no way I can see ADOT not routing I-11 on a bypass around what's left of that town (population about 300).  I stop there on  my way to and from Vegas or Laughlin once or twice a year, and outside of the souvenir shop and a good Chicago-style hot dog stand, the rest is 100% expendable. 

Build the bypass and connect the current 93 to it on both sides of town.  Upgrading the current 93 through town to interstate standards is just not happening.  I'll be shocked if anyone outside of local residents even propose it.

Now there's one less reason to drive through Wikieup, and it is - or now was -- the biggest reason.  The Wikieup Trading Post (the souvenir shop/convenience store mentioned above) burned to the ground early this morning.  A total loss.  At least nobody was hurt.

Opportunity for the Nothing Rock Shop to reopen and fill the void?   :rolleyes:

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2021, 07:35:11 PM
Wikieup is a wide spot in the road with one good souvenir shop/convenience store, two overpriced gas stations across the highway (both of whom charge $1-1.50 per gallon above market price), and a couple of decent restaurants at the north end of town.  Most of whatever else used to exist along US 93 has long been abandoned.

There's no way I can see ADOT not routing I-11 on a bypass around what's left of that town (population about 300).  I stop there on  my way to and from Vegas or Laughlin once or twice a year, and outside of the souvenir shop and a good Chicago-style hot dog stand, the rest is 100% expendable. 

Build the bypass and connect the current 93 to it on both sides of town.  Upgrading the current 93 through town to interstate standards is just not happening.  I'll be shocked if anyone outside of local residents even propose it.

Now there's one less reason to drive through Wikieup, and it is - or now was -- the biggest reason.  The Wikieup Trading Post (the souvenir shop/convenience store mentioned above) burned to the ground early this morning.  A total loss.  At least nobody was hurt.

Or -- the owners of the Trading Post simply collect the insurance (hopefully it was at least adequate), sit on it for a bit, and rebuild wherever I-11 ends up -- either through town or on a bypass. 

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: sparker on May 24, 2021, 07:51:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2021, 07:35:11 PM

Or -- the owners of the Trading Post simply collect the insurance (hopefully it was at least adequate), sit on it for a bit, and rebuild wherever I-11 ends up -- either through town or on a bypass.

The reason we found out about it is that we know the owner, and she sent a text with a picture of the devastation to my girlfriend first thing this morning.  She has no idea what she'll do now, but has requested us to not contact her until she gets her bearings as to what she can and cannot do.  We are going to respect her request.  I'm sure the freeway routing has a lot to do with her future plans.

There has been no news coverage, either in Phoenix or Kingman media, of the fire.  Facebook pictures (the only coverage there's been) show what is left.  I cannot put those pictures here without permission of the owners.

There is, AFAIK, no fire station in Wikieup, either.  At least the gas tanks didn't explode.

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on May 24, 2021, 10:34:56 PM
At least the gas tanks didn't explode.

Update:  Was up that way this week.  The trading post is rubble, but the Union 76 gas station is being rebuilt.  Not yet open, though.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Big problem:  US 93 is completely closed from I-40 to SR 71.  One wreck just south of I-40, and another on the two-lane section northwest of Wickenburg. 

The only ways to get between Phoenix and Las Vegas today are I-17 or SR 89 north to I-40 west, or I-10 west (or US 60 west to I-10, if already in or near Wickenburg) to US 95 north.

sparker

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on July 10, 2021, 03:28:36 PM
Big problem:  US 93 is completely closed from I-40 to SR 71.  One wreck just south of I-40, and another on the two-lane section northwest of Wickenburg. 

The only ways to get between Phoenix and Las Vegas today are I-17 or SR 89 north to I-40 west, or I-10 west (or US 60 west to I-10, if already in or near Wickenburg) to US 95 north.

Or via Southwest! :-/  Seriously, the 4-laning of this corridor can't come soon enough, with or without I-11! 

splashflash

Quote from: sparker on July 10, 2021, 06:29:36 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on July 10, 2021, 03:28:36 PM

Or via Southwest! :-/  Seriously, the 4-laning of this corridor can't come soon enough, with or without I-11!

This seems to be acknowledged in the latest 5 year plan but omits the Cane Springs widening and any widening work between SR 89 and SR 71.  The Tegner to SR89 Gap project remains intact but is almost completed paid by Maricopa County, isn't it? At least the Kingman interchange is there.

From the list:

Kabba Wash Bridge
Project Limits US 93 Bridge 492 milepost 97.5 to 98.5 (1 mile)
Description Design/Construct Bridge Rehabilitation
$4M

Project Name Sycamore Creek Bridge NB, Gray Wash Bridge
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 Bridge 640 milepost 127.63 to 128.63 (1 mile), US 93 Bridge 641 milepost 128.63 to 129.63 (1 mile)
Bridge Rehabilitation
$1.1M

Project Name S of Nothing - S of Jct SR-97
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 from S of Nothing to Jct SR-97 milepost 144 to 156 (12 mile)
Description Pavement Rehabilitation
$27 million

Project Name MP 160-180.6, Wickieup
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 milepost 160 to 180.6 (20.6 mile)
Description Center line rumble strips
$361K

Project Name Tegner St - Wickenburg Ranch Way
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 from Tenger Street to SR-89 milepost 193 to 198 (5 mile)
Description US93: Tegner Street - SR89 "The Gap": Construct Divided Highway Local ID: DOT18-707 & DOT20-724
$54,981,000

Project Name US-93/I-40 West Kingman TI
Route I 40
Project LimitsInterchange on I 40 at I-40 West Kingman and US-93
Description Right of Way, Design, and Construct TI
$84 million

https://www.abc15.com/traffic/deadly-gamble-update-adot-to-make-us-93-safety-improvements
https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/media/2021/03/2022-2026-tentative-5yr-plan.pdf

Plutonic Panda

Article about applying for federal funding to advance these projects.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/AZDOT/bulletins/31965f1?fbclid=IwAR0W_Eenip9O-1m6ljmRfmklIH6rgaQU4g4IzyKoIq60r47CouCoen1-No4

They could also focus on this instead of wasting time planning for I-11 south of Phoenix but you know do your thing ADOT.

kdk

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 26, 2022, 01:30:43 AM
Article about applying for federal funding to advance these projects.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/AZDOT/bulletins/31965f1?fbclid=IwAR0W_Eenip9O-1m6ljmRfmklIH6rgaQU4g4IzyKoIq60r47CouCoen1-No4

They could also focus on this instead of wasting time planning for I-11 south of Phoenix but you know do your thing ADOT.

Glad to hear.  it almost seems like the US 93 projects have all stalled out since the last segment opened north of Wikieup about 2 years ago.  The "Gap" project widening through Wickenburg still hasn't started as of last week still.

The Big Jim Wash section is the most urgent in my opinion.  Heading north it's not a big deal, but heading south it's where the road narrows from four lanes to two, and there's a fairly steep incline heading SB and no passing lanes for several miles.  Most trucks slow down to about 50 here to make the incline and traffic really backs up fast and you see some dangerous passing happening as well.

Zonie

If only the FHWA had a Fictional Roads section to force these state DOTs into...

The Ghostbuster

Upgrading US 93 will likely be a long, slow process. Even longer for a US 93-to-Interstate 11 conversion. Also, I think the interchange at AZ 71 should receive an exit number (as either Exit 182 or 183).

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 01, 2022, 10:19:20 PM
Upgrading US 93 will likely be a long, slow process. Even longer for a US 93-to-Interstate 11 conversion.

Actually, most of it is done.  The biggest hassles now are the ramps at I-40 and through the 25 mile stretch of the Joshua Tree Highway of Death northwest of Wickenburg.  Interchanges at AZ 89 and AZ 97 also need to be constructed to bring the highway closer to Interstate status, but neither is a priority. 

It's not out of the question that I-11 south of I-40 will never see the light of day.  It could "demoted" back to AZ 93 since US 93 will end in Las Vegas once I-11 between Kingman and Nevada is built/upgraded.  That, at least, will happen.

QuoteAlso, I think the interchange at AZ 71 should receive an exit number (as either Exit 182 or 183).

That would happen only when 93 becomes a full Interstate.

ztonyg

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on June 01, 2022, 11:39:29 PM
Upgrading US 93 will likely be a long, slow process. Even longer for a US 93-to-Interstate 11 conversion.

Actually, most of it is done.  The biggest hassles now are the ramps at I-40 and through the 25 mile stretch of the Joshua Tree Highway of Death northwest of Wickenburg.  Interchanges at AZ 89 and AZ 97 also need to be constructed to bring the highway closer to Interstate status, but neither is a priority. 

It's not out of the question that I-11 south of I-40 will never see the light of day.  It could "demoted" back to AZ 93 since US 93 will end in Las Vegas once I-11 between Kingman and Nevada is built/upgraded.  That, at least, will happen.

QuoteAlso, I think the interchange at AZ 71 should receive an exit number (as either Exit 182 or 183).

ADOT numbers other exits on non-freeway interchanges.

On AZ 87 Bush Highway is numbered exit 199
On US 60 the interchange for AZ 79 is numbered exit 212 (and US 60 isn't a freeway in the area). Not to mention all of the interchanges along Grand Ave. have numbers even though Grand Ave. isn't a freeway
On US 93 the interchange for AZ 68 is numbered exit 67
On US 89A the partial diamond interchange for McConnell Dr is exit 341 (which is an I-17 number even though the highway isn't I-17 at this point)

splashflash

Henry

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on June 01, 2022, 11:39:29 PM

Well, it's already a given that I-11 will never enter Phoenix proper, so I can see the remaining parts that will be untouched by the Interstate become AZ 93. Although I still think they should keep it US 93, especially since the conversion may not be finished for a very long time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

stevashe

Quote from: Henry on January 24, 2023, 10:27:47 AM
Well, it's already a given that I-11 will never enter Phoenix proper, so I can see the remaining parts that will be untouched by the Interstate become AZ 93. Although I still think they should keep it US 93, especially since the conversion may not be finished for a very long time.

Well, US 93 doesn't get to Phoenix, either. It ends in Wickenburg.  :-P So there won't be any untouched parts left other than maybe a small stub in Wickenburg itself if a bypass is built around that town.

seicer

Quote from: splashflash on January 24, 2023, 06:37:52 AM
Virtual public meeting for Kingman Interchange

Jan 25 6pm

https://azdot.gov/projects/northwest-district-projects/i-40-us-93-west-kingman-traffic-interchange-project/virtual

Shouldn't this be a full directional interchange for when US 93 is upgraded to interstate standards?

Roadwarriors79

There are various existing interstates that only have partial interchanges. One example is the I-95 at the PA Turnpike that opened a few years ago. I-95/I-276/I-295.

Also, not only does ADOT have exit numbers for some random non-interstate highways, but many of them (if not most of them) happen to be mileage-based.

Bobby5280

If I recall correctly ADOT is buying up enough ROW for the I-11/I-40 interchange in Kingman to be able to build a full Y interchange. They're just going to build the initial configuration with 2 ramps between I-11 & I-40 (SB I-11 to EB-I-40 & WB I-40 to NB I-11).

Over time they'll be able to add the second pair of ramps some time in the future. It's certainly not optimal to force EB I-40 traffic heading for NB I-11 to go thru a short "Breezewood" via US-93 to get there. But not nearly as many vehicles will be taking that movement compared to the number of vehicles traveling between the Vegas and Phoenix regions.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 24, 2023, 04:59:52 PM
If I recall correctly ADOT is buying up enough ROW for the I-11/I-40 interchange in Kingman to be able to build a full Y interchange. They're just going to build the initial configuration with 2 ramps between I-11 & I-40 (SB I-11 to EB-I-40 & WB I-40 to NB I-11).

Over time they'll be able to add the second pair of ramps some time in the future. It's certainly not optimal to force EB I-40 traffic heading for NB I-11 to go thru a short "Breezewood" via US-93 to get there. But not nearly as many vehicles will be taking that movement compared to the number of vehicles traveling between the Vegas and Phoenix regions.

I would think that most of the traffic coming from Barstow and points south and west of there would take I-15 to Vegas or get off of I-40 at US 95 to get to Laughlin.

Bobby5280

There are other towns and locations directly South of Kingman that can have traffic heading to/from Las Vegas. There's Lake Havasu City, Parker and various other little resorts spots along AZ-95. Over the long term it's possible the Kingman area could add population as well.

ADOT likely purchased the extra ROW needed for a full Y interchange just in case.

SSR_317

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 24, 2023, 07:58:03 PM
There are other towns and locations directly South of Kingman that can have traffic heading to/from Las Vegas. There's Lake Havasu City, Parker and various other little resorts spots along AZ-95. Over the long term it's possible the Kingman area could add population as well.

ADOT likely purchased the extra ROW needed for a full Y interchange just in case.
The 2 "missing" ramps (EB 40 to NB 93 & SB 93 to WB 40) are to be built in "Phase II" of the West Kingman Interchange project, which has an indeterminate starting date due to lack of funding and (alleged) low traffic volume. I'm sure that the final design of Phase I takes the origin/terminus points of those future ramps into consideration though. If you view the simulated flyover video shown at the recent Public Meeting (tab on the project website), you can kinda see where those points will someday be located along the new terrain US 93 roadway.

armadillo speedbump

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 24, 2023, 07:58:03 PM
There are other towns and locations directly South of Kingman that can have traffic heading to/from Las Vegas. There's Lake Havasu City, Parker and various other little resorts spots along AZ-95. [/i]

It's 12 miles shorter and slightly faster for them to go to Vegas via Needles rather than Kingman.

Bobby5280

Quote from: armadillo speedbumpIt's 12 miles shorter and slightly faster for them to go to Vegas via Needles rather than Kingman.

People driving from Lake Havasu or Parker up to Vegas might save a few miles going by way of Needles and US-95. But here's a couple important points:

Gasoline in that part of Arizona is quite a bit less expensive than it is on California's side of the Colorado River. And fuel prices in NW AZ are still less than the prices in Southern Nevada.

All of existing US-93 between Kingman and the Hoover Dam is 4-lane divided. And there is at least a plan for all of that to be upgraded to Interstate standards. US-95 from Needles up to the I-11 junction is a mix of 2-lane, 4-lane divided and 4-lane not-divided.

armadillo speedbump

Don't forget to mention the need for expensive direct connectors because of once a year military movements and the obligatory, "It will help with hurricane evacuations!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.