News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 93 In Arizona Progress

Started by swbrotha100, February 27, 2015, 03:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Quote from: kdk on October 02, 2023, 06:16:28 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 01, 2023, 10:35:22 PM
Well, the US 93/Interstate 40 interchange begins construction next year, with a completion date of 2026: https://azdot.gov/projects/northwest-district-projects/i-40us-93-west-kingman-traffic-interchange.

Very happy to see this starting!  The backups have been worse my last few trips even outside of the usual weekends where it's always been an issue.
Yeah, this one was LONG overdue!

The Ghostbuster

I think the US 93-to-Interstate 11 conversion between the Arizona/Nevada border and Interstate 40 in Kingman will be the first leg of 11 to be completed. I suspect the segment beyond Interstate 40 will take significantly longer to complete, although it will depend on how much of a priority building out the proposed Interstate 11 corridor in Arizona is.

Bobby5280

The segment from Kingman up to the Colorado River should be an easy upgrade. Beyond the short bypass of Beale Street in Kingman there should be little if any need to acquire and remove any buildings possibly in the way. Most of the project would just involve removing at-grade intersections.

It's a similar story from I-40 down to Wickenburg. Wikieup might need a short bypass. But that's about it. It doesn't look like US-93 has out of date geometry.

The toughest tasks are going to be building I-11 South of Wickenburg to/around the Phoenix area. In the meantime they could handle the easy stuff (as funding allows).

pderocco

I wonder when they'll get around to the other I-40 interchange. As long as they're fourlaning the remaining few bits of US-93 across the hills, they ought to consider fourlaning that trumpet interchange.

The Ghostbuster

I suspect it will be quite a while before anything happens to the US 93 South interchange on Interstate 40. In addition to reconstructing the interchange into a full freeway-to-freeway interchange, the at-grade intersection with Round Valley Rd. will have to be eliminated as well.

Bobby5280

Yeah, that trumpet interchange with I-40 and US-93 probably needs to be completely re-built. That tight 25mph cloverleaf ramp for the WB I-40 to SB US-93 movement needs to be replaced with a new flyover ramp. The other existing ramps don't look like they have curve geometry good enough for rural Interstate travel speeds.

It might be possible for them to retain the existing 2-lane bridge over I-40 if it was converted to a one lane ramp for the NB US-93 to WB I-40 movement. That would allow the existing road surface to be repainted with a single lane that actually had shoulders. These days it seems more common for Interstate to Interstate interchanges to have 2-lane movements. So NB US-93 to WB I-40 really would need a bridge deck at least 40' wide to hold two modern lanes as well as proper shoulders. At any rate, the existing bridge looks pretty damned old, even if it has a fresh coat of paint.

Scott5114

I'm not sure that there's enough traffic that the WB I-40→SB US-93 ramp is a huge concern. After all, most traffic from points further east would be apt to take I-17 into Phoenix rather than head west to Kingman first. There aren't really a whole lot of origin points between Kingman and Flagstaff where it would make more sense to take US-93 instead of I-17, either.

Obviously, it would be nice to make the geometry friendlier while they're working on the interchange, but I'm not sure if a whole flyover is necessary.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 18, 2023, 01:41:00 AM
I'm not sure that there's enough traffic that the WB I-40→SB US-93 ramp is a huge concern. After all, most traffic from points further east would be apt to take I-17 into Phoenix rather than head west to Kingman first. There aren't really a whole lot of origin points between Kingman and Flagstaff where it would make more sense to take US-93 instead of I-17, either.

There isn't an extreme amount of traffic in most cases, but that ramp is still a huge bottleneck and needs to be upgraded.  I was just on it about a month ago, and it's always the same, mostly because of truck traffic.  Most of 93 north of Wickieup is now 4-lane, and I believe it's imperative to rebuild this ramp ASAP.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Plutonic Panda

Yeah caught at the wrong time that ramp can cause some serious backups.

SSR_317

BTW, the I-40/US 93 South junction is officially called the Round Valley Interchange (after the local road that branches off to the north just after NB 93 crosses I-40).

For the record, the I-40/US 93 North junction at Beale Street is officially named the West Kingman Interchange. No word on what the new one just northeast of there will be named, or if ADOT is even still assigning names to their newer interchanges.

The Ghostbuster

Is naming interchanges common in Arizona? There are plenty of named interchanges here in Wisconsin.

Bobby5280

As much as new freeway interchanges cost it only seems appropriate for them to have names. Hell, state DOT agencies might even start selling naming rights, just like sports stadiums have been doing.
:crazy:

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: SSR_317 on October 21, 2023, 02:00:02 PM
For the record, the I-40/US 93 North junction at Beale Street is officially named the West Kingman Interchange. No word on what the new one just northeast of there will be named, or if ADOT is even still assigning names to their newer interchanges.

How about the Bottleneck Eliminator Interchange?  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

SSR_317

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 22, 2023, 06:13:17 PM

I like that! Though the local business lobby would likely want to call it the Revenue Killer Interchange.

Plutonic Panda

Has there been any talk about what will happen with the current setup along this stretch of Beale Street once the bypass opens? Road diet? Reconfiguration of the current I-40 interchange?

Bobby5280

I imagine the road would remain in its current configuration. Let's not forget this, uh, interchange, with US-93 and I-40 will not have all traffic movements built at the outset. Two of the ramps in this "Y" interchange will be built later. That's still going to drop a good amount of traffic onto Beale Street. Anyone coming up from the Southwest of Kingman (such as Lake Havasu City) and headed to Las Vegas will still have to take Beale Street as a "Breezewood" connection into a US-93/I-11 freeway going North to Hoover Dam.

So, something like a "road diet" applied to Beale Street before all movements are built between I-11 and I-40 would be pretty short-sighted and counter-productive (maybe even dangerous).

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: SSR_317 on October 23, 2023, 03:09:01 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 22, 2023, 06:13:17 PM

I like that! Though the local business lobby would likely want to call it the Revenue Killer Interchange.

Only the major-chain gas stations that charge $0.50+ more per gallon than the independents a couple blocks closer to I-40.  NEVER buy gas on Beale St.  Fill up at the truck stops closer to the Round Valley Interchange, which are much cheaper.

The Ghostbuster

Do they have an estimate on how many interchanges would be needed along the US 93 corridor between the Kingman Wash Access Road and the soon-to-be constructed interchange with Interstate 40? How about the number of interchanges along US 93 between Interstate 40 and Wickenburg?

SSR_317

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 24, 2023, 03:08:59 PM
Do they have an estimate on how many interchanges would be needed along the US 93 corridor between the Kingman Wash Access Road and the soon-to-be constructed interchange with Interstate 40? How about the number of interchanges along US 93 between Interstate 40 and Wickenburg?
Between Kingman & Nevada, I'm not sure how many interchanges there will be. That would most likely be determined during the NEPA process for converting it to Interstate 11.

As for I-40 (Round Valley Interchange) to the planned Wickenburg Bypass, I saw the plans several years ago online that detailed all the proposed interchanges. Not sure if I have a copy of those plans or not, will search for them in the next several days and let you know. I don't think they are still available online at ADOT. Of course, all such plans are subject to revision, especially given the time that has passed since there were first created. But given the remote, rural nature of US 93 in that area, I doubt they will have to be changed much once AZ gets the money and will to finally implement them.

Sub-Urbanite

While there's no formal estimate, a sensible guess is 7:

• Willow Beach
  • Temple Bar Road
  • White Rock
  • Dolan Springs
  • Chloride
  • North Golden Valley
  • Agua Fria

SSR_317

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on October 28, 2023, 07:54:54 PM
Do they have an estimate on how many interchanges would be needed along the US 93 corridor between the Kingman Wash Access Road and the soon-to-be constructed interchange with Interstate 40? ...

While there's no formal estimate, a sensible guess is 7:

• Willow Beach
  • Temple Bar Road
  • White Rock
  • Dolan Springs
  • Chloride
  • North Golden Valley
  • Agua Fria

Here is my speculated traffic interchanges in the stretch between the state line on the O'Callahan-Tilman Bridge over the Colorado River at Black Canyon and Hoover Dam and Interstate 40 at Kingman (all mileages are unofficial):

ExitMileRoad(s)Places
--00.00NV-AZ state line
201.79Kingman Wash Access RdLake Mead National Recreational Area
1414.17Willow Beach Rd [access fee to Willow Beach]Lake Mead National Recreational Area
1919.17Temple Bar Rd [CR 143]Temple Bar
2828.41While Hills Rd [CR 145]White Hills
4040.45Pierce Ferry Rd [CR 25]Dolan Springs
4545.33Cottonwood Rd [CR 135]
5151.12Big Wash Rd
5352.75Chloride Rd [CR 125]Grasshopper Junction, Chloride
5958.68Mineral Park Rd [CR 235], Legend Ranch RdMineral Park
6565.01Agua Fria Dr, Sundown Dr
6767.10SR 68 WEST, Arizona Port of EntryGolden Valley, Bullhead City
7069.84Beale St [Old US 93 SOUTH]Kingman, Los Angeles (via I-40 West)
7170.94I-40 EAST, US 93 SOUTHKingman, Flagstaff, Phoenix

Two additional optional exits were listed in the original ADOT report I used as a basis for the above list as "Proposed (to be funded by developers)", at Mile 24.5 and Mile 49.50. The exit I list at Big Wash Rd (mile 51.12) would replace the latter of those two. Also, the proposed exit numbers use the existing US 93 reference post mileage, which is the opposite of what will be needed for future Interstate 11.

Bobby5280

I'm sure they'll have to build some frontage roads of short, limited length to maintain ranch road access, unless they plan to allow at-grade intersections along the route.

SSR_317

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 01, 2023, 01:57:03 PM
I'm sure they'll have to build some frontage roads of short, limited length to maintain ranch road access, unless they plan to allow at-grade intersections along the route.
No, since this will become Interstate 11, no at-grade intersections will remain once full access control is established.

SSR_317

Quote from: SSR_317 on October 24, 2023, 04:51:00 PM
Between Kingman & Nevada, I'm not sure how many interchanges there will be. That would most likely be determined during the NEPA process for converting it to Interstate 11.

As for I-40 (Round Valley Interchange) to the planned Wickenburg Bypass, I saw the plans several years ago online that detailed all the proposed interchanges. Not sure if I have a copy of those plans or not, will search for them in the next several days and let you know. I don't think they are still available online at ADOT. Of course, all such plans are subject to revision, especially given the time that has passed since there were first created. But given the remote, rural nature of US 93 in that area, I doubt they will have to be changed much once AZ gets the money and will to finally implement them.
Here are the data I promised regarding US 93 proposed traffic interchanges between I-40 and Wickenburg. This data was mostly compiled from the following three ADOT source documents:

• US 93, Wikieup to I-40 - Final Location/Design Concept Report (July 2001)
  • US 93: Santa Maria River to Wikieup - Final Access Management Study (date unknown - downloaded July 2017)
  • US 93, Wickenburg to Santa Maria River - Final Location/Design Concept Report (September 2006)
Please note that the Exit Numbers that I list below are relative to US 93 and not to future Interstate 11. Also, it is important to note that there are only 0.92 miles between US 93 reference posts 140 and 142. A 1.09 mile equivalency adjustment is made at 140.47, which becomes 141.56 (there is no reference post 141). Also please note that Round Valley Road is planned to be connected to a new I-40 service interchange (#69 - Cedar Hills Interchange) to be built 1.75 miles west (near I-40 reference post 70.1) of the current I-40/US 93 SOUTH Interchange to which it is presently connected.

ExitMileInterchange NameRoad(s)Place(s)
9191.19Round ValleyI-40Kingman, Flagstaff
9393.10new local access roads
9695.61Hackberry RoadOld US 93 [CR 193], Hackberry Rd
9999.10Windmill Ranchnew local access roads
103102.60Bat Washnew local access roads
104104.40Antelope Washnew local access roads
107107.40Upper Trout CreekHorse Feathers Ranch Rd, Upper Trout Creek Rd
112111.50Lower Trout CreekLower Trout Creek Rd, Carpenter Rd
114113.60Hofriders CrossingCyprus Rd
117116.63Diamond Joe RoadDiamond Joe RdCarrow-Stephens Ranch (BLM)
119118.60Copper RoadCyprus Bagdad Copper Rd
122122.34North WikieupOld (existing) US 93 SOUTH, McClure RdWikieup
125124.67South WikieupOld (existing) US 93 NORTH, Storing RdWikieup
128127.90Pliocene CliffsCaithness Rd (proposed)
132132.20Signal RoadSignal Rd, Burro Creek Crossing Rd
142142.00Burro CreekBurro Creek Campground Rd (via new access road), 17 Mile Rd (via new access road)Burro Creek Campground
148148.10Rogers RanchRogers Ranch RdNothing
155154.80SR 97SR 97Bagdad
163162.70Santa Maria RiverSanta Maria Ranch Rd (via new access road)
171171.30Tres Alamosnew local access roads
178178.20Alamo Road/Date CreekAlamo Rd (via new access road), Date Creek Ranch Rd (via new access road)Alamo Lake
183182.91SR 71SR 71Congress, Aguila
191190.50Wickenurg Bypass NorthOld (existing) US 93 SOUTHWickenburg

Bobby5280

Quote from: Bobby5280I'm sure they'll have to build some frontage roads of short, limited length to maintain ranch road access, unless they plan to allow at-grade intersections along the route.

Quote from: SSR_317No, since this will become Interstate 11, no at-grade intersections will remain once full access control is established.

I don't think you understood what I meant about short frontage roads for maintaining ranch road access. Frontage roads would be built in order to prevent ranch roads from intersecting the Interstate main lanes directly. These short frontage roads would be akin to the on/off ramps for a rest area. The frontage roads might run a bit longer or not. They would be there to prevent situations like some guy in a beat-up pickup hauling a trailer and slowly hanging a hard right turn onto the Interstate main lanes. The ranchers would still have access to certain dirt roads via those limited frontage roads. But when they get back on the Interstate they'll have to go to the next full exit in order to cross over to "turn left" in order to go back home.

In Texas they'll be using this approach in certain locations of I-69 projects in far South Texas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.