Regional Boards > Mountain West

Phoenix Area Highways

<< < (129/131) > >>

kernals12:

--- Quote from: kdk on May 19, 2022, 06:35:11 PM ---I saw this about how the "rubberized asphalt" craze on the Phoenix area freeways of the early 2000's hasn't aged well.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/pavement-supposed-to-make-our-roads-quieter-now-its-breaking-down-whats-next/75-8d732a9b-354d-49d2-b14b-6f976b58c3a8

--- End quote ---

What an uninformative article. It doesn't say why they can't just replace the rubberized asphalt. Also, Arizona has been using rubberized asphalt since the 1960s and it has been proven to be more durable.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on May 19, 2022, 07:33:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: kdk on May 19, 2022, 06:35:11 PM ---I saw this about how the "rubberized asphalt" craze on the Phoenix area freeways of the early 2000's hasn't aged well.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/pavement-supposed-to-make-our-roads-quieter-now-its-breaking-down-whats-next/75-8d732a9b-354d-49d2-b14b-6f976b58c3a8

--- End quote ---

What an uninformative article. It doesn't say why they can't just replace the rubberized asphalt. Also, Arizona has been using rubberized asphalt since the 1960s and it has been proven to be more durable.

--- End quote ---

Sure wasn't all that durable during the 2010-2013 era.  The asphalt marbles on Loop 101 were especially fun when they spraying all over my front bumper in chunks.

andy3175:
The article states:

--- Quote ---The state now must weigh putting down another layer of rubberized asphalt against going with a new technique.

Recently, the state has tested out the "diamond grind" technique on our roadways. Diamond grind uses closely spaced diamond blades to remove a thin layer of the roadway. You can see the "diamond grind" in action on Loop 101 North just east of the I-17.

According to Bullen, diamond grind would last longer and would cost more than a billion dollars less than using rubberized asphalt. However, it is a new technique that is still being looked at.

“This has been our life for the past two years,” Bullen said.

Whether the state uses rubberized asphalt or diamond grind, the total cost is estimated at more than a billion dollars over the next 30 years to keep our roads maintained.
--- End quote ---

Is the diamond grinding technique all that new? I've heard of it used in San Diego since the late 1990s. Maybe it's not been used in Phoenix previously?

Are there any studies about noise reduction as a result of diamond grinding? In my experience, concrete usually is louder than asphalt, but I am not sure if diamond grinding causes a noise reduction.

DRMan:
There is a stretch of diamond grind on I-10 in Tucson. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the noise level as opposed to concrete. It isn't pretty to look at, but it is a fairly smooth ride.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on May 02, 2022, 07:49:12 PM ---The Arizona State Legislature has authorized $400 million to widen I-10 to 6 lanes from Casa Grande to Chandler. They anticipate the project will cost $1 billion and ADOT has already set aside $260 million leaving $300 million to be covered by the Feds.

--- End quote ---
Article here about Arizona applying for the remaining $300 million:

https://www.inmaricopa.com/adot-300-million-infrastructure-grant-interstate-10-expansion/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version