News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

South African signage

Started by afiler, June 26, 2019, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afiler

I visited the Western Cape region of South Africa recently and took some pictures of road signs.

First, old-style highway distance signage with separate route shield and FHWA type. I saw a few of these Western Cape highways, but they are quite rare in 2019.

New-style shieldless highway distance signage with DIN type. This is the current standard and has almost completely replaced the older signs in the WC. A single destination isn't the norm, but these were both taken on remote highway stretches in the Karoo.

Signage in Western Cape municipalities was good, but there were more older signs that had so far avoided replacement. The 1970 Road Traffic Signs Manual specified blue backgrounds on warning and regulatory signs, but was later changed to a white background, similar to European signage. I never saw any on Western Cape highways, but the old white-on-blue signs popped up occasionally on city streets and small rural roads:

Finally, my favorite, something ancient. I found this one in Koperfontein (street view). It's a pre-RTSM design that reminds me of pre-Worboys signage from the UK, but in sheet metal instead of cast metal.

afiler

From Street View, some signs with the CraiG CoUntY Effect, in the Cederberg Mountains of the Western Cape

afiler

Some interesting modern overhead freeway signage from street view:

afiler

Some old signage from before the switch from the FHWA-derived fonts to DIN fonts.

D-Dey65

Quote from: afiler on August 08, 2019, 01:47:54 PM
Some old signage from before the switch from the FHWA-derived fonts to DIN fonts.

What's that sign on the lamppost in the last picture?

Road Hog

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 12, 2019, 08:04:44 AM
Quote from: afiler on August 08, 2019, 01:47:54 PM

What's that sign on the lamppost in the last picture?
I thought at first it said TOILET, but instead it says TO LET. Odd place to stick that sign.

afiler

Yeah, I'd assume it's snipe advertising. SA city streets do have official spots for business signage, but it's more permanent:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.