News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chilean roads

Started by Alps, December 19, 2021, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

So far haven't noticed much. Interestingly I found three different sign variants signing highway 5:
* Blue background, all text RTA 5 (no shield) - on the highway SB at the connector into Santiago
* Blue background, outlined US 5 shield - overpassing 5 on the connector EB
* Green background, blue US 5 shield - overpassing 5 on the connector WB

It seems that blue is the new standard for toll roads, and maybe the blue shield was the former way to express that standard, but I've seen a mix of green and blue signs for the same exit so that's where I draw the conclusion that green is older.

Scott5114

What's the ratio of RutaCL to other fonts? (I think they officially used to use FHWA Series, but I seem to recall seeing various fonts like Arial on GSV).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

I have not been paying attention to fonts, honestly. Today I spent time looking at street signs. The old style, largely gone at this point, was dark blue or black text on a yellow background. The newest signs of this type are probably 1970s and are made of wood tacked onto buildings. The oldest signs are painted arrow shapes, and you still do see a very few of those. In fact, one building cast the arrow shape into the concrete for the arrow to be painted on - no trace of paint left now. I saw one reverse yellow on dark blue/faded black sign as well, up around Pio Nono.
Not much else to report roads-wise today. I walked Agustina for awhile west of Ruta 5 and it has old cobblestone and trolley rail remnants in the road and some cross streets.

Alps

Also there are a few cool bridges I've found - smaller ones.
Centro Cultural Theater: https://goo.gl/maps/A7ABwmAvjWW6ozix9
Purísima: https://goo.gl/maps/U8iKTgtraqF6MAE68
Huérfanos: https://goo.gl/maps/9cSnhAEgQHVGoTnf8
Arzobispo, my favorite: https://goo.gl/maps/BAJEGQAcx8Aoyth3A

Alps

Today's update: Went to Valparaíso by bus. Clinched Ruta 68 as a result - "certified" will have to wait for the airport bus tomorrow because the Valpo bus skips much of "interior" 68 that the airport bus uses. 68 is a toll road that has just gone ORT (not AET yet). The old toll booths are gone outside of the few on either side still being used for "Manual", but the island footers remain in the median. The ones at the eastern plaza still have CHILE 68 shields on them! The plazas are set up strategically at the two tunnels, west of the first and east of the second, and cost $2.100 each or $8.400 round trip (in Chilean pesos, so just under $10 total). The bus was $8.500 round trip for reference.  :-D
Interesting note about 68: The only ramp tolls are for WB exits leaving Valpo up to the first mainline plaza. There are no ramp tolls west of that point, none for the corresponding EB entrances, just those. It's the major exits and I feel like someone with knowledge of local roads could figure out how to exit for free to any destination. Retornos (U-turns) are also free, so in theory you could pass your exit and come back, but at $800 (just under $1 USD) you probably spend more on the round trip than just exiting. No idea why Chile decided to only toll these - at least do the corresponding EB entrances if you're trying to discourage shunpiking?
Nothing roads-wise of note in Valpo. Cobblestones, narrow streets, pedestrian alleys, just a city. Ruta 68 has very obvious ends. In Valpo it ends as you come down the hill on the "freeway" (it has driveways, shoulder pull-outs, and side streets the whole way from Santiago) and get to the first traffic light. In Santiago it ends at the major merge by the Pajaritos transit station. I am now realizing that what is signed as the {5} interchange west of the city is actually not Ruta 5, but the períferico that Google says is Ruta 70. But it leads to 5 without the hassle of going into the city, so sure.
That's probably all I'll see of note on this leg of the trip. There was exactly one concrete gore bollard (blue with down arrows), all others are now signs. Any Chilean questions?

hotdogPi

From what I understand, Chile is a first-world country (the other one in South America being Uruguay). Does Chile feel like a first-world country to you?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Alps

Quote from: 1 on December 21, 2021, 04:22:38 PM
From what I understand, Chile is a first-world country (the other one in South America being Uruguay). Does Chile feel like a first-world country to you?
No more or less than Argentina - mostly first world, some parts less so, some 3rd-world conditions on outskirts.

Chris

Alps

That's the modern part of it. BA has much more modernity (by volume) than Santiago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.