News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Mortgage Payments should b...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 07:14:40 PM
How the fuck did dictatorships get into the conversation?
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on Today at 06:29:24 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuyBirthrate declines will be more than made up by net immigration.

This nation might not be able to take the immigration factor for granted much longer.

For the past 50 years all of America's net increases in population have been made possible by immigration. In the early 1970's the total fertility rate of American-born women of all races fell to an average near 2.1 children per female, which is equal to the replacement level. TFR hovered near that level until the mid 2000's and has been steadily dropping since. Immigrants who come to America now are also having fewer children.

Currently there is a lot of anti-immigrant hysteria present in our country. The possibility of mass deportations following the November election could dramatically reduce all types of immigration. The free and open nature of our society helps attract a great deal of high skilled legal immigrants. If America's government turns into a dictatorship of some type that sort of immigration will be greatly reduced. Finally, if America's economy tanks itself that will also reduce immigration. A bunch of this nation's wealth is tied up in the housing market. If future generations are suddenly much smaller that will lead to a far smaller pool of future home buyers.

There will not be "mass deportations" no matter who wins in November. And there will still be plenty who want to come here.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by wdcrft63 - Today at 06:55:57 PM
On the forum a few years ago I proposed I-740 for the section of Wade Avenue connecting I-40 to I-440. That didn't get anywhere either. That Wade Avenue freeway doesn't even have a primary highway number.
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 06:29:24 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuyBirthrate declines will be more than made up by net immigration.

This nation might not be able to take the immigration factor for granted much longer.

For the past 50 years all of America's net increases in population have been made possible by immigration. In the early 1970's the total fertility rate of American-born women of all races fell to an average near 2.1 children per female, which is equal to the replacement level. TFR hovered near that level until the mid 2000's and has been steadily dropping since. Immigrants who come to America now are also having fewer children.

Currently there is a lot of anti-immigrant hysteria present in our country. The possibility of mass deportations following the November election could dramatically reduce all types of immigration. The free and open nature of our society helps attract a great deal of high skilled legal immigrants. If America's government turns into a dictatorship of some type that sort of immigration will be greatly reduced. Finally, if America's economy tanks itself that will also reduce immigration. A bunch of this nation's wealth is tied up in the housing market. If future generations are suddenly much smaller that will lead to a far smaller pool of future home buyers.
I still don't see how the bridges that already exist aren't safer than being forced to cross the boulevard.
Northeast / Re: What is it with I-95 & bri...
Last post by Streetman - Today at 06:14:22 PM
Damaged bridge was removed and I-95 reopened both ways 80 hours after the fire. Bridge will take a year to replace.
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: michravera on Today at 05:10:12 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 02:46:06 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on Today at 11:33:00 AMThe current system is rather one-sided. If a borrower is underwater and gets foreclosed on, they still owe the difference between the sales price and the value of the loan, but it is extremely unlikely that the borrower will ever be able to pay that debt. On the other hand, if the sales price is higher than the value of the loan, the borrower gets to pocket the surplus. This asymmetry means all borrowers have to pay a higher interest rate.

Yes. The risk is on the buyer. If you don't want to deal with that risk, you can always rent.

That's actually not true, in California and other "Title Theory" states.

What does Title Theory mean?
Traffic Control / Re: Most absurd VMS messages
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 05:55:56 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 05:37:58 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:25:18 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 08:27:56 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2024, 10:28:05 PM"ONLY SCRUFFY LOOKING NERF HERDERS LITTER" -- Boston area on the Pike.

TIL nerf herders are a thing in Star Wars.

Youngin'

No lie.

Hey, who you callin scruffy looking?
Off-Topic / Re: Who misses the old McDonal...
Last post by GCrites - Today at 05:50:17 PM
Small businesses still need to go to a physical branch so the lack of branches in a particular area might indicate a lack of small business activity rather than changes in consumer needs. Larger businesses user armored cars for that so if your immediate area (like mine) is one that makes you go to the supermarket or Wal-Mart to buy anything the branches still close.
Traffic Control / Re: Most absurd VMS messages
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 05:37:58 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:25:18 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 08:27:56 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2024, 10:28:05 PM"ONLY SCRUFFY LOOKING NERF HERDERS LITTER" -- Boston area on the Pike.

TIL nerf herders are a thing in Star Wars.

Youngin'

No lie.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.