News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadPelican

Just an FYI,  Google Maps is now showing the recently completed leg of NC 295 from the All-American Freeway to Cliffdale Road in Fayetteville.

RoadPelican

The Greensboro News-Record is reporting that the next segment of the Greensboro Urban Loop (Battleground to Lawndale) is going to open to traffic on December 31st.  Lawndale to Elm should be done by the end of 2020 and the final leg (Elm to US 29) should be complete by the end of 2021.

Still no word on when the first segment of the Winston-Salem Beltway will open.  I read back in September, it would be open by Dec 31st, but I have read nothing further since then.

Roadsguy

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 04, 2019, 08:26:12 PM
Also, they are probably trying to move many US highways off freeways.

Isn't it mostly where Interstates are involved? NC 11 is obviously only a state route, though, so this may just be due to their efforts to upgrade specifically the NC 11 corridor, with US 13 being an afterthought. Is Greenville (or whichever town it was) still pushing for an Interstate along NC 11?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 04, 2019, 10:23:45 PM

Isn't it mostly where Interstates are involved? NC 11 is obviously only a state route, though, so this may just be due to their efforts to upgrade specifically the NC 11 corridor, with US 13 being an afterthought. Is Greenville (or whichever town it was) still pushing for an Interstate along NC 11?
I'm sure they are. If the NC 11 corridor is upgraded, from US 64 to US 70, then they can put an interstate there.
an I-x87 (I-287 or I-487 would work).

http://www.malmeroads.net/ncfutints/ncfutintp.html
Scroll down to where it says I-287 and you can see what i'm talking about.

EDIT: It says from US 64 to US 264, but I think they should go all the way to US 70. It would be reasonable and the interstate wouldn't be as short.

But in my proposals, I want that to be called I-97 from Bethel to Jacksonville :)

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_0802A_Report_2010.pdf

This would be needed because the CF harvey parkway has the eastern part to Greenville with a loop and not a flyover, so an interstate there wouldn't be feasible.

sprjus4

There had been talks previously of upgrading NC-11 between the CF Harvey Pkwy in Kinston extension and US-64 / I-87 in order to provide a direct interstate connection between the Global TransPark, Greenville, and Hampton Roads / Port of Virginia, but I don't think Greenville was pushing for that as much as they were getting US-264 designated as an interstate highway. In the future though, as I-87 gets built out between Raleigh and Hampton Roads, there may be more desire in the future. Right now, a freeway along NC-11 would simply lead back to more 4-lane divided highway to Hampton Roads, so it wouldn't make much of a difference. Once that US-17 leg is an interstate though, the proximity of Greenville and Kinston to it will likely result in a larger desire to connect directly to it as a new north-south corridor.

LM117

Who knows. There's been no to talk of it since the Eastern NC Gateway Act didn't get anywhere in Congress shortly before the 2016 elections. The mayors of Greenville and Kinston that pushed for it are no longer in office and as far as I know, there's been no mention of it by their successors.

I-42 and I-587 seems to be taking priority...as they should.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

D-Dey65

Quote from: RoadPelican on December 04, 2019, 09:41:21 PM
Just an FYI,  Google Maps is now showing the recently completed leg of NC 295 from the All-American Freeway to Cliffdale Road in Fayetteville.
Speaking of which, I believe the southern terminus will be at Exit 38 on I-95.

tolbs17

http://prntscr.com/q6wcor

There are missing ramps and a whole freeway. This is incomplete, it's not showing a complete connection. But, I'm sure it would be updated.

sprjus4

It's all messed up. I'd give it a week for at least the lines to be marked properly. The exit numbers, well that may be months or never knowing Google. I'm shocked it's already designated NC-295 knowing that they lack the ability to properly mark other roads with anything.

The area around Exit 18 (Canopy Ln) is all messed up on Google, but it's semi decent - just need to realign a couple roads and delete a couple old markers.

They finally added (most of) the exit numbers on the Greenville Southwest Bypass, but are still missing a couple at either end, the bypass is still not marked as NC-11, and the lone I-587 marker still remains.

D-Dey65

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 06, 2019, 05:43:35 AM
It's all messed up. I'd give it a week for at least the lines to be marked properly. The exit numbers, well that may be months or never knowing Google. I'm shocked it's already designated NC-295 knowing that they lack the ability to properly mark other roads with anything.
Well, I snapped some pictures of where the construction for the Future I-295 is at, and the mile marker said 38. So we won't need to worry about knowing that.

tolbs17

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.607736,-77.4386758,18z

This part is showing at-grade and not grade separated for northbound traffic. And why are the ramps white and not orange?

They just need to sign it "NC 11 bypass" and we are good.

Roadsguy

The area around Exit 18 (Canopy Ln) is all messed up on Google, but it's semi decent - just need to realign a couple roads and delete a couple old markers.

They finally added (most of) the exit numbers on the Greenville Southwest Bypass, but are still missing a couple at either end, the bypass is still not marked as NC-11, and the lone I-587 marker still remains.

They still haven't changed the "US 74 Bypass Rd" name on the Monroe Expressway to "US 74 Bypass" to get the shield to render despite my reporting it multiple times, so don't hold your breath on NC 11 Bypass...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 06, 2019, 07:34:10 AM

They still haven't changed the "US 74 Bypass Rd" name on the Monroe Expressway to "US 74 Bypass" to get the shield to render despite my reporting it multiple times, so don't hold your breath on NC 11 Bypass...
I would just call it "Monroe Expy" It's technically a bypass, but it's not that far and "US 74 Bypass Rd" is no biggie for us i think. Maybe we should make that "Hwy"

X99

and the lone I-587 marker still remains.
It's on the wrong mainline too, and its northbound complement is marked with two at-grade intersections in the center of the cloverleaf. Somehow, marking it as I-587 actually made it show up as the right kind of road, while marking the other roadway as US 264 messed it up.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

tolbs17

Quote from: X99 on December 06, 2019, 01:22:47 PM
It's on the wrong mainline too, and its northbound complement is marked with two at-grade intersections in the center of the cloverleaf. Somehow, marking it as I-587 actually made it show up as the right kind of road, while marking the other roadway as US 264 messed it up.
Is OpenStreetMaps better than google maps sometimes?

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-12-06-overnight-business-40-closures-winston-salem.aspx

QuoteWINSTON-SALEM — State transportation contractors are planning several overnight lane closures as part of the ongoing work on the Business 40 Improvements project​.

One lane in either direction of the highway will be closed between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. from Tuesday, Dec. 17 until the morning of Friday, Dec. 20, weather permitting.

Crews will begin on eastbound Business 40 at U.S. 52 and work nightly toward Sandy Ridge Road. They will then shift the closure to the westbound side to work back to U.S. 52.

These closures are needed for crews to begin changing exit numbers and mile maker signs. The new exit numbers will follow the U.S. 421 numbering rather than the old Business 40 numbering.

Drivers should slow down when approaching this stretch of Business 40 and be mindful of crews throughout the work zone.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

It shows it with an at-grade intersection, but Google's directions still routes you through the cloverleaf. That's the key thing, especially for drivers relying on directions (I, myself, use Google Maps and Waze all the time).

X99

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 06, 2019, 02:54:32 PM
Is OpenStreetMaps better than google maps sometimes?

Yes it is, especially because under-construction roads show up on the public map and major arterials show up at all the same zoom levels as freeways. In fact, I was the one that updated the tags on the Greenville Southwest Bypass to show the road as open.

sprjus4

Quote from: X99 on December 06, 2019, 11:16:47 PM
major arterials show up at all the same zoom levels as freeways.
Quite frankly, I prefer to have a zoom level available that strictly shows the freeway network apart from the arterial system. That's one major thing I like about Google Maps.

X99

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 06, 2019, 11:18:10 PM
Quite frankly, I prefer to have a zoom level available that strictly shows the freeway network apart from the arterial system. That's one major thing I like about Google Maps.
They are visibly different colors and lineweights. Freeways are thick pink lines, and arterials are thin orange lines. I mean, I do live in South Dakota, where there are a total of six distinct major arterials, as opposed to a few hundred in other states.

sprjus4

Quote from: X99 on December 06, 2019, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 06, 2019, 11:18:10 PM
They are visibly different colors and lineweights. Freeways are thick pink lines, and arterials are thin orange lines. I mean, I do live in South Dakota, where there are a total of six distinct major arterials, as opposed to a few hundred in other states.
I'd still prefer a layer with none of the arterials visible, and strictly the freeways.

tolbs17

http://prntscr.com/q7ljqz

Still no ramp from SB AAF to 295? Really? I'm not sure how they are thinking on this maps... I think this is at least better compared to the ramps that they did on the SW bypass.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 07, 2019, 12:13:41 PM

Still no ramp from SB AAF to 295? Really? I'm not sure how they are thinking on this maps... I think this is at least better compared to the ramps that they did on the SW bypass.
I've said before, you have to give it at least a week or so from the time Google begins to add it to become fully functional. The rest of the road is fine.

What's the issue with the Greenville SW Bypass?

X99

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 08, 2019, 06:57:31 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 07, 2019, 12:13:41 PM

I've said before, you have to give it at least a week or so from the time Google begins to add it to become fully functional. The rest of the road is fine.

What's the issue with the Greenville SW Bypass?
I-587 shields on the wrong mainline, at-grade intersections (with no turns allowed according to directions mode) in the cloverleaf with US 264, and most of the ramps are white instead of yellow. It's also supposed to be signed as NC 11 Bypass, but I don't know if Google signs state route bypasses. (I haven't seen any before.)

tolbs17

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1109218,-78.9749001,18.54z

If you look closely at the CD road it's also showing that it's at-grade instead of over.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1067833,-79.0132168,17.92z

Here too!

There's many errors.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.