News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on August 08, 2019, 09:32:23 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on August 08, 2019, 09:05:48 AM
Quote from: Beltway on July 24, 2019, 10:51:17 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 24, 2019, 10:48:42 AM
Just another RE/T obstructionist. The amount of false information they've provided and believe from other RE/T obstructionists is quite sad. Maybe if they actually stuck with the facts and not low-balled cost estimates from a RE/T group, they'd see how their claims are quickly killed.
What about the Sierra KKKlub ... do you think that they are involved with the obsties?  Does the Sierra KKKlub really believe that human beings are cancer?   If man went to Mars, does the Sierra KKKlub think that humans would destroy Mars like they destroyed the Earth and Venus?
Venus? What have we done to Venus?

Turned it from a rainy forested planet to a runaway greenhouse effect and barrenness, with 600 F temperatures at the surface, enough to melt lead.
That's Earth in 12 years  :-o  :no:

goobnav

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 08, 2019, 10:52:58 AM
Just another RE/T obstructionist. The amount of false information they've provided and believe from other RE/T obstructionists is quite sad. Maybe if they actually stuck with the facts and not low-balled cost estimates from a RE/T group, they'd see how their claims are quickly killed.
What about the Sierra KKKlub ... do you think that they are involved with the obsties?  Does the Sierra KKKlub really believe that human beings are cancer?   If man went to Mars, does the Sierra KKKlub think that humans would destroy Mars like they destroyed the Earth and Venus?

Turned it from a rainy forested planet to a runaway greenhouse effect and barrenness, with 600 F temperatures at the surface, enough to melt lead.

LOL!!!  Remember, we can always land on the Sun, we'll just do it at night, :D.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

VTGoose

OK, I must have missed that news from NASA -- or was it a story in the Weekly World News?
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

The Ghostbuster

Getting back to the thread's title, I would actually be very surprised if North Carolina's Interstate 73 or Interstate 74 ever gets into South Carolina (or Virginia, or anywhere else for that manner).

Beltway

Quote from: goobnav on August 08, 2019, 01:50:50 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 08, 2019, 10:52:58 AM
... according to the RE/T groups.

Quote from: goobnav on August 08, 2019, 01:50:50 PM
LOL!!!  Remember, we can always land on the Sun, we'll just do it at night, :D.
No, just land on the far side of the Sun!  :spin:
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

goobnav

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 08, 2019, 03:49:55 PM
Getting back to the thread's title, I would actually be very surprised if North Carolina's Interstate 73 or Interstate 74 ever gets into South Carolina (or Virginia, or anywhere else for that manner).

I-73 will be knocking on VA and SC's borders in less than 20 years.  I-74 is technically at the VA border, SC might never come to fruition.

Beltway

Quote from: goobnav on August 08, 2019, 04:17:22 PM
I-73 will be knocking on VA and SC's borders in less than 20 years.  I-74 is technically at the VA border, SC might never come to fruition.
I-74 is technically complete in Virginia, although they might want to leverage that toward getting extra FHWA funding to widen I-77 thruout the state, it will need it by 2040.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on August 08, 2019, 04:19:12 PM
I-74 is technically complete in Virginia, although they might want to leverage that toward getting extra FHWA funding to widen I-77 thruout the state, it will need it by 2040.

If a condition for such funding was the posting of I-74 shields in VA, then that would seem to be something of a bargain.  Still won't prompt any 73/74 corridor development past the VA/WV line, though; that's a ship that just can't seem to get out of port!

Kulerage

So the general consensus seems to be that I-73 in SC is necessary, whereas I-74 in SC is strange and unwarranted, and would be better suited serving Wilmington..

I agree.

sprjus4

Agreed it'll eventually need it, but I think it's safe to say I-81 should come first, especially when federal funding is offered.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 08, 2019, 11:25:10 PM
Agreed it'll eventually need it, but I think it's safe to say I-81 should come first, especially when federal funding is offered.
The West Virginia Turnpike will serve as a limiting valve as long as it remains 4 lanes.

Expensive as it will be, the day will come when it needs to be widened to 6 lanes.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on August 08, 2019, 11:38:28 PM
The West Virginia Turnpike will serve as a limiting valve as long as it remains 4 lanes.

Expensive as it will be, the day will come when it needs to be widened to 6 lanes.
The West Virginia Turnpike is not in Virginia. West Virginia could look at I-77 as a priority, but it's certainly not one in Virginia. I-81, I-95, and I-64 should be priorities for Virginia.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 09, 2019, 12:51:24 AM

The West Virginia Turnpike is not in Virginia. West Virginia could look at I-77 as a priority, but it's certainly not one in Virginia. I-81, I-95, and I-64 should be priorities for Virginia.

Notice what I said would reduce / delay the need to widen VA I-77.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

goobnav

Ah, there's another issue for a bottleneck and it is majority on the VA side of I-77, the Big Walker Mountain and East River Mountain tunnels are only 4 lanes, they would need to be widened and that will significantly raise the cost to widen I-77 in VA.  That can also be an issue of contention of signing I-74 concurrent with I-77 in VA.

ARMOURERERIC

IF I-77 through the tunnels in VA ever becomes an issue, which is cheaper: Widening the tunnels of building 73 between 77 and 81?

Beltway

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 13, 2019, 08:03:37 AM
IF I-77 through the tunnels in VA ever becomes an issue, which is cheaper: Widening the tunnels of building 73 between 77 and 81?

Not a good alternate route to I-77, very circuitous.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

VTGoose

Expensive as it may be, adding more lanes to the tunnels would be about the only way to go. There just isn't a good way to get from the end of U.S. 460 in Blacksburg to the almost-interstate section of U.S. 460 in West Virginia (if this is the preferred route). The alternative is to move southwest and use the VA 100 corridor to get close, but the same problem exists there -- getting from Pearisburg to Glen Lyn. The Narrows of the New River is the only easy way through and that would require quite a bit of earthmoving to widen the passage for four lanes. The current westbound lanes of 460 are on the original alignment from decades ago and are perched on a ledge high above the river, they follow the curves and contours, and are wholly inadequate for today's traffic, let alone having an interstate designation. The alternative is a new mountain crossing or two, which won't fly in an area that is already fighting hard against the Mountain Valley pipeline. Even if the Virginia route were possible, West Virginia would have to upgrade its section of U.S. 460 to eliminate side roads and cross traffic, in addition to whatever interchange (existing or new) that connects the road into I-77.

In the scheme of things, neither scenario will probably be seen anytime in the near (or even distant) future.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

wriddle082

Quote from: VTGoose on August 13, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

Expensive as it may be, adding more lanes to the tunnels would be about the only way to go. There just isn't a good way to get from the end of U.S. 460 in Blacksburg to the almost-interstate section of U.S. 460 in West Virginia (if this is the preferred route). The alternative is to move southwest and use the VA 100 corridor to get close, but the same problem exists there -- getting from Pearisburg to Glen Lyn. The Narrows of the New River is the only easy way through and that would require quite a bit of earthmoving to widen the passage for four lanes. The current westbound lanes of 460 are on the original alignment from decades ago and are perched on a ledge high above the river, they follow the curves and contours, and are wholly inadequate for today's traffic, let alone having an interstate designation. The alternative is a new mountain crossing or two, which won't fly in an area that is already fighting hard against the Mountain Valley pipeline. Even if the Virginia route were possible, West Virginia would have to upgrade its section of U.S. 460 to eliminate side roads and cross traffic, in addition to whatever interchange (existing or new) that connects the road into I-77.

In the scheme of things, neither scenario will probably be seen anytime in the near (or even distant) future.

I have only seen one instance where existing interstate tunnels were actually widened: I-70 east of Idaho Springs, CO, where the twin two-lane tubes were somehow wallowed out into three lane tubes.  And those were less than a half mile long.  Come to think of it, I can't really think of any long mountain tunnels with greater than two lanes.  East River Mountain Tunnel, I believe, is over a mile long.  Might be a lot more feasible to build two more tubes here, possibly both to the east, and one on either side at Big Walker Mountain.

Beltway

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 13, 2019, 08:21:27 PM
I have only seen one instance where existing interstate tunnels were actually widened: I-70 east of Idaho Springs, CO, where the twin two-lane tubes were somehow wallowed out into three lane tubes.  And those were less than a half mile long.  Come to think of it, I can't really think of any long mountain tunnels with greater than two lanes.  East River Mountain Tunnel, I believe, is over a mile long.  Might be a lot more feasible to build two more tubes here, possibly both to the east, and one on either side at Big Walker Mountain.
VDOT is getting ready to add 2 more 2-lane tubes to the I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, and they are over 7,000 feet long.

Even if I-77 doesn't need more than 6 lanes, which would be the case anytime soon, it would probably be the most feasible to do the same, add 2 more 2-lane tubes and have an 8-lane facility.

Replacing the tunnels with open cuts wouldn't work.  That was considered at Big Walker Mountain in the 1960s, and it would have been 500 feet deep with 10 million cubic yards of excavation.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Grand Strand lawmakers propose bill to use hospitality tax money for I-73
QuoteCOLUMBIA, SC (WBTW) — Four Grand Strand lawmakers are trying to resolve the hospitality tax legal battle in Horry County and secure funding for Interstate 73.

The county, its cites and towns have fought for almost a year over control of tourist tax money, so some lawmakers are trying to force them to make a deal.

"We don't want to have to do this in Columbia,"  said Rep. Russell Fry, R-Surfside Beach. "We hope that the locals can figure it out amongst themselves."

Rep. Fry is co-sponsoring a bill, which would put that money from cities, towns and the county towards building I-73. The bill was introduced Tuesday and is in the House's ways and means committee.

Rep. Fry says they need to contribute enough money to get help from the state and federal governments.

"It's going to require a local match,"  he said. "You look at Charleston as an example. I-526 is being built with predominantly local money through a local sales tax initiative. Here, it's maybe a third."

Before the cities and towns filed the lawsuit, Horry County Council pledged up to $25 million in hospitality taxes towards I-73. Council voted to leave that agreement in November.

"They need to honor that promise, have that local match, allow us in Columbia and Rep. Tom Rice (R-S.C.) in D.C. to go advocate for the road on our levels,"  said Rep. Fry.

Under this bill, tourist tax revenue not put towards I-73 would be given back to the municipality where it was generated.

Rep. Fry says he hopes both sides reach an agreement soon.

"It's very silent and that's concerning to me because, at the end of the day, leaders need to lead,"  he said. "They need to sit down together. They need to figure this out."

County council is expected to get more legal advice on the lawsuit Tuesday

Strider

While they're fighting down here, I still think the Northern corridor should be built first. It would enable I-73 to be built from NC line to I-95, serving the small cities along the way. Oh well. Let's see if this one works out.

sprjus4

Quote from: Strider on January 19, 2020, 01:59:11 AM
While they're fighting down here, I still think the Northern corridor should be built first. It would enable I-73 to be built from NC line to I-95, serving the small cities along the way. Oh well. Let's see if this one works out.
More than likely, that segment will be last to get to built. Right now, the major push is that connection to Myrtle Beach, and if any limited funding is identified, that's going to be where politics drives the money.

doglover44

I went on a Myrtle Beach vacation in my teens but cant remember what Highways we took all I remember is we went through TN NC and SC

tjcreasy

Quote from: doglover44 on January 19, 2020, 05:27:19 PM
I went on a Myrtle Beach vacation in my teens but cant remember what Highways we took all I remember is we went through TN NC and SC

Sounds about right. There's a million ways to get there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.