News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 02, 2023, 06:24:16 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 02, 2023, 06:11:42 PM
Those first few moments when you leave a place with A/C that's too cold and get into a not-terribly-hot car.

Strangely relaxing.

I'm a fan of getting into your car on a cold but sunny day, and it's already a bit warmer in there.

That's nice too. I tend to park into the sun on colder days/mornings so that the sunlight warms the interior a little bit more.

It does take a few days of cold weather to remind myself that's preferrable, after decades of rarely intentionally parking into the sunlight.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Farro

Nobody I've asked has ever heard of it, but our family prefers it to rice in most dishes we make.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2024, 02:03:19 PM
Farro

Nobody I've asked has ever heard of it, but our family prefers it to rice in most dishes we make.

I like farro quite a bit. I also like pearled barley.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 12, 2024, 02:08:59 PM

Nobody I've asked has ever heard of it

I like farro quite a bit.

This is why I didn't ask you ahead of time.  :nod:
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2024, 02:03:19 PMFarro

I have heard of it, but never actually tried it.  I may give it a whirl this summer when honey pineapple chicken goes back on the menu.  I have been using long-grain white rice, which has some fiber (as opposed to basmati, which has none), but my personal preference in the past has been straight wild rice, which is now basically impossible to find at the supermarket.  Casual Googling suggests farro has more protein and fiber than these alternatives.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2024, 02:13:56 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 12, 2024, 02:08:59 PM

Nobody I've asked has ever heard of it

I like farro quite a bit.

This is why I didn't ask you ahead of time.  :nod:

Yeah, working in the restaurants that I have, there are very few ingredients that I haven't had at some point.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 12, 2024, 02:34:16 PM
I have been using long-grain white rice, which has some fiber (as opposed to basmati, which has none)

Unlike rice, I rinse farro well.  (I also do this with bulgur and quinoa.)  Farro is now readily available at the Gucci Dillon's, and maybe it is at your local one too.  It takes about a two-to-one ratio of boil water/stock to grain, and about 25-35 minutes to simmer.  The ratio isn't all that important, because its texture allows for some margin of error:  add liquid if you need to, boil off the extra liquid if you need to.

but my personal preference in the past has been straight wild rice, which is now basically impossible to find at the supermarket

No kidding.  We've noticed its absence from store shelves recently as well.  Especially in the winter, when we like to put it in soup.

Casual Googling suggests farro has more protein and fiber than these alternatives.

Indeed, that's why I first bought it, a few years ago.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2024, 02:59:03 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on February 12, 2024, 02:34:16 PMI have been using long-grain white rice, which has some fiber (as opposed to basmati, which has none)

Unlike rice, I rinse farro well.  (I also do this with bulgur and quinoa.)  Farro is now readily available at the Gucci Dillon's, and maybe it is at your local one too.  It takes about a two-to-one ratio of boil water/stock to grain, and about 25-35 minutes to simmer.  The ratio isn't all that important, because its texture allows for some margin of error:  add liquid if you need to, boil off the extra liquid if you need to.

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 12, 2024, 02:34:16 PMbut my personal preference in the past has been straight wild rice, which is now basically impossible to find at the supermarket

No kidding.  We've noticed its absence from store shelves recently as well.  Especially in the winter, when we like to put it in soup.

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 12, 2024, 02:34:16 PMCasual Googling suggests farro has more protein and fiber than these alternatives.

Indeed, that's why I first bought it, a few years ago.

Many thanks for these tips!  I'll keep them in mind for when I'm ready to try farro.  Now to find it at the AARP Dillons . . .
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Underrated doesn't seem like quite the right term, but I don't see a better thread fit...

The lack of mid-sized cities in Kentucky. The gap between #2 Lexington (323k) and #3 Bowling Green (72k) is gaping. At first glance, I believe Kentucky is the only state with a population of 2 million or more with no cities in the 100k-300k range. But Covington (wait, what? Right?) being top-5 with only 41k is arguably even more of a superlative: that's on par with states like Montana (Butte, 34k) and North Dakota (West Fargo, 40k) despite Kentucky having more than four times the population of those states.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2024, 11:44:44 AM
Underrated doesn't seem like quite the right term, but I don't see a better thread fit...

The lack of mid-sized cities in Kentucky. The gap between #2 Lexington (323k) and #3 Bowling Green (72k) is gaping. At first glance, I believe Kentucky is the only state with a population of 2 million or more with no cities in the 100k-300k range. But Covington (wait, what? Right?) being top-5 with only 41k is arguably even more of a superlative: that's on par with states like Montana (Butte, 34k) and North Dakota (West Fargo, 40k) despite Kentucky having more than four times the population of those states.

Northern Kentucky is chock-full of municipalities. Covington and Newport are the most recognizable, but you also have Fort Mitchell, Florence (y'all), Burlington, Erlanger, Alexandria, and gobs of others. I don't know where the northern Kentucky metro would rank if you combined all the cities in Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties, but I'm sure it would be substantial. Probably bigger than Bowling Green.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

texaskdog

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 31, 2023, 10:57:13 PM
Big Bend National Park

It always seems to be regarded as a second rate national park, but in reality there is so much insane stuff there. Santa Elena Canyon is kinda mind-blowing how narrow it is (and you can cross the Rio Grande there into Mexico!). The Emory Peak hike has some insane views, especially close to the top. The park is so far away from any major civilization that it feels truly like you're in the wilderness (+you can see the Milky Way on a cloudless night from there). Plus the terrain is really cool.

Seriously, yet it's hard to get in unless you reserve months in advance.

texaskdog

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.