News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 05:15:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 04:50:51 PM
I like the slogan. :nod:

You may be misunderstanding the intent...

I choose to believe it has two interpretations. :bigass:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 02:44:45 PM
Quote from: Halian on December 05, 2022, 02:16:54 PM
* Halian pseudorelatedly wonders if a thread for custom/fictional license plate designs already exists

I made one for fictional license plate serial blocks, but that might be too geeky for what you're wanting.

You also might enjoy this post from 2013.

Oh hey, that's me from nine years ago!

I think this is a good time to plug the license plate redesign series I finished up a few months ago:

Scott5114

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on December 05, 2022, 07:05:54 PM
* Halian pseudorelatedly wonders if a thread for custom/fictional license plate designs already exists

I made one for fictional license plate serial blocks, but that might be too geeky for what you're wanting.

I think this is a good time to plug the license plate redesign series I finished up a few months ago:

I want that Oklahoma plate so damn bad.

(Black-stickered plates are for test drive use only, though. ;) )

kphoger

American Samoa – The >90% Christian population might not appreciate the star and crescent.
Arizona – Yes!
Arkansas – Dark blue on red is not very legible.
DC – I'm actually rather fond of the current issue.
Hawaii – And lose the rainbow????  What????
Idaho – Yes, yes, yes!  I love you.
Iowa – I hate you for retaining the slashed zeroes.
Kentucky – Ooooh, nice...
Maryland – Pretty snazzy, looks sharp.
Missouri – Wow, for a second I thought it was a real issue.
New Mexico – Your teal option is what should be the teal option now.  Good job.
Oregon – Nice throwback!
Prince Edward Island – Classy.
Québec – Also classy.
Rhode Island – Much less dingy-looking than the current issue.
Texas – Best of all worlds, when it comes to the state's plate history.
Utah – I'm getting throwback vibes from the state name, and they're good vibes.
Yukon – I had high hopes, but they were only half met.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 09:33:30 AM

I think the Idaho plate looks a bit like the old Illinois one:

Which they would go back to, or at least something similar, if I had my druthers.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

formulanone

American Samoa – The >90% Christian population might not appreciate the star and crescent.

Faith is stronger than license plates, is it not?

frankenroad

I like a lot of your designs (most, in fact).  The ones I quibble with are the ones where you did not change the state's goofy numbering system to something more normal, and/or did not include a space or separator between numbers and letters.  6 or 7 characters all run together is hard to read even if it's a predictable pattern like ABC123.  Also, please get rid of the slashed 0s on Iowa's plate.  Overall, good work!
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Big John

Quote from: formulanone on December 07, 2022, 03:04:08 PM

Or states that offer plates that affirm one's faith?

Road Hog

I like your Arkansas redesign, but I too would use black alphanumerics. The state has used variations of the same basic design since 1978. It's time for a change.

Scott5114

Random question–which font did you use for the "California" text on this?

Scott5114

Fictional license plate slogans moved to: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32576.0

This is meant as a news thread. Please keep it free of made up things.

6a

More than a few of those are really nice, but I'm not putting that red thing on my Ohio car

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2022, 05:20:12 PM
I don't get the appeal of the solid color plates so many people seem to love. There's only twenty or so unique color schemes you can do, so that means that you're going to have to have some duplicates between the states.

You must be assuming that there would only be one color of text on a license plate.  If, however, the serial number is a different color from the state name and slogan, then the pool of good combinations grows substantially larger.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 09, 2022, 06:31:53 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2022, 05:20:12 PM
I don't get the appeal of the solid color plates so many people seem to love. There's only twenty or so unique color schemes you can do, so that means that you're going to have to have some duplicates between the states.

You must be assuming that there would only be one color of text on a license plate.  If, however, the serial number is a different color from the state name and slogan, then the pool of good combinations grows substantially larger.

This is true, but it undercuts one of the appealing things about a one-color plate from the state's perspective–it is cheaper to manufacture a plate with only two colors, foreground and background.

GCrites

Quote from: SP Cook on November 22, 2022, 12:46:10 PM
Counties - I do not see the point in noting the county unless there is some point to it, such as different counties charging differently for plates, different emission regulations, different taxes such that it would make sense to register a car at a relative or friends home.  Florida, where the county name seems to be optional and not used in the largest county (Dade) at all seems odd.  Back when Kentucky has a very plain plate, the county was the same font on the stamped plates.  Kentucky has an Ohio county so there were plates that read Kentucky / NNN LLL / Ohio, which had to be confusing to law enforcement and meter maids. 

Back in college my friends all thought there was a Good County Kentucky because the pickup truck plates said 6000 on the bottom (for under 6000 pounds) instead of the county name as seen on passenger car plates. I knew better but never said anything. We were all from Ohio and attending SSU so we saw a lot of trucks from "Good County". Eventually my friends figured it out.

SP Cook

Not actually license plate news, but today's Wall Street Journal reports that many states are running out of TP.  No, not toilet paper, but title paper.  That high security watermarked stuff they print titles on.  Paper companies switched during the panic/pandemic to making boxes and other shipping supplies and now states are months behind on titles.

The solution seems obvious.  Many states already offer on-line virtual titles, and if someone wanted a paper one, a unique bar code could be printed on plain paper that would identify it as authentic. 

kalvado

Quote from: SP Cook on December 12, 2022, 11:11:20 AM
Not actually license plate news, but today's Wall Street Journal reports that many states are running out of TP.  No, not toilet paper, but title paper.  That high security watermarked stuff they print titles on.  Paper companies switched during the panic/pandemic to making boxes and other shipping supplies and now states are months behind on titles.

The solution seems obvious.  Many states already offer on-line virtual titles, and if someone wanted a paper one, a unique bar code could be printed on plain paper that would identify it as authentic.
If that would be coupled with secure online verification....
Holding that secure paper - especially if it is an out-of-state transaction -  provides a certain level of assurance that I actually get legal paperwork settled, not just the key. Would it be possible to sell car once at lunch, and a second time at 2 PM with a spare key - before the first buyer has a chance to get to DMV?

CentralCAroadgeek

Arizona – Yes!
Arkansas – Dark blue on red is not very legible.
DC – I'm actually rather fond of the current issue.
Hawaii – And lose the rainbow????  What????
Iowa – I hate you for retaining the slashed zeroes.
Kentucky – Ooooh, nice...
Maryland – Pretty snazzy, looks sharp.
Missouri – Wow, for a second I thought it was a real issue.
New Mexico – Your teal option is what should be the teal option now.  Good job.
Oregon – Nice throwback!
Prince Edward Island – Classy.
Québec – Also classy.
Rhode Island – Much less dingy-looking than the current issue.
Texas – Best of all worlds, when it comes to the state's plate history.
Utah – I'm getting throwback vibes from the state name, and they're good vibes.
Yukon – I had high hopes, but they were only half met.
Quote from: formulanone on December 07, 2022, 03:04:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

As I prefaced in the intros for each Behance project, the challenge was to create entirely new plates for places despite how iconic their license plates are (which means having to ditch things like the Hawaiian rainbow). I also wanted to keep the quirks in license plate fonts and formats, such as the Iowa zeroes that I think make that boring 3M font a little more unique.

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 06, 2022, 09:45:37 AM
I think the Idaho plate looks a bit like the old Illinois one:

Which they would go back to, or at least something similar, if I had my druthers.

That was the style I was going for with Idaho!

Idaho has pretty much a lost cause for me. Their current plates already encapsulate very well the only things Idaho has going for it, and any designs with a giant potato would just look like a turd :/

Quote from: Road Hog on December 07, 2022, 11:11:26 PM
I like your Arkansas redesign, but I too would use black alphanumerics. The state has used variations of the same basic design since 1978. It's time for a change.

Arkansas was another tricky state to design for, as it's another state with not too much going for it (despite my research). I chose blue solely because of the flag colors

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 07, 2022, 11:55:07 PM
Random question–which font did you use for the "California" text on this?

The font I used was FinalSix on Adobe Fonts

Quote from: 6a on December 09, 2022, 04:46:33 PM
More than a few of those are really nice, but I'm not putting that red thing on my Ohio car

I definitely wanted to keep Ohio simple because the past few Ohio plates have been extremely busy on the eyes  :-|

jakeroot

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on December 12, 2022, 02:54:21 PM
I definitely wanted to keep Ohio simple because the past few Ohio plates have been extremely busy on the eyes  :-|

I always thought their 2013-2021 graphic was excellent, though the background text was a little too dark.

The current Ohio is awful IMO.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: jakeroot on December 16, 2022, 02:12:53 AM

I always thought their 2013-2021 graphic was excellent, though the background text was a little too dark.

The current Ohio is awful IMO.

I have to agree 100%. The new OH plate is terrible. It's busy, it's no longer embossed and it uses that crap ugly 3M font that you can't read because of the aforementioned busy graphic.  A further demerit for (and this is controversial) now going with only one plate rather than the previous two. Yeah, you've saved money, resulting in a plate that looks like a souvenir trinket that you'd buy at a flea market.

And, for those of you who tout the "saving money" part - did Ohio lower any of the fees that they charge in exchange for now issuing one flat, cheap looking POS plate?   By the way, KY's new plates look like excrement too.

SP Cook

The Ohio plate is ugly.

But having ANY plate on the front of a nice car is ugly as well. 

kphoger

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on December 12, 2022, 02:54:21 PM

Fixed those links for you.

Quote from: jakeroot on December 16, 2022, 02:12:53 AM

The background text doesn't really affect legibility, but it does make every license plate look dingy.
Male pronouns, please.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: SP Cook on December 16, 2022, 10:07:18 AM
The Ohio plate is ugly.

But having ANY plate on the front of a nice car is ugly as well.

It's a necessary item for public safety and not a fashion acoutrement. This is why very few countries outside of the US and Canada, permit there to not be a front plate. They're there for identification purposes. That's also why they are (and should be) embossed. Better visibility.

kphoger

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 16, 2022, 12:00:56 PM
It's a necessary item for public safety and not a fashion acoutrement. This is why very few countries outside of the US and Canada, permit there to not be a front plate. They're there for identification purposes.

I've always thought this too.  However, I'm now questioning how valuable it actually is to be able to identify a car from both front and back.  Generally, I think, it's the rear plate that's valuable in this regard (except for trucks pulling trailers, for which it should be the front plate that's required).
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.