News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 13, 2018, 10:24:42 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 12, 2018, 10:47:46 PM
Per the plans, Providence is still the sole control city on both the new sign (diagrammatic) and the dual-sign versions.  Maybe a blanket sign replacement in the area would include a supplemental sign for Willimantic. 

I think it's odd the I-95 sign replacements, I think some of those were just replaced. However the exit 32 "exit now"  signs are still button copy and were never replaced. And this project seems to replace perfectly fine signage. Strange.

SR-508 signage that wasn't replaced with the lagging I-84 sign project are being replaced, just that one gantry. I'm surprised the whole SR-508 wasn't involved with the I-84 signage contract.

There has GOT to be a certain criteria for their order of replacing signs in the yearly statewide spot sign replacement projects.  To be fair, most of the signs replaced in these projects are bridge-mounted signs that are moving to either ground or other supports.  Then you have the Exit 29 case, where perfectly good signs are being replaced, while others rot in place.  And you have gantries that look like they can barely hold their own wait, yet continue to evade these projects (such as on I-95 in Norwalk). 

The Exit 32 sign on I-95 in Stratford that wasn't replaced occurs in both directions.  Is this a case of "there's always one", or is there something larger planned for the exit?  I know they're planning on making Exit 33 a complete interchange, but that wouldn't necessarily affect the signs in question.

RobbieL2415

Or, as I've said, have ConnDOT/NysDOT/NYCDOT together renumber the highway sequentially in keeping with the highway's heritage.  The Wilbur Cross Highway portion of CT 15 can be milage-based if it really wants to. The current numbers are there in case they ever upgraded the Berlin Turnpike to a full freeway.

MikeTheActuary

Congressman Larson apparently gave a presentation yesterday as part of his push for a double Big Dig for Hartford:

http://www.courant.com/real-estate/property-line/hc-biz-hartford-highway-tunnels-larson-vision-20180912-story.html
http://www.courant.com/real-estate/property-line/hc-biz-hartford-tunnel-symposium-live-20180914-story.html

Key points:

- He still wants to put both I-84 and I-91 in tunnels.
- Tunnels would be intended for through traffic
- Urban boulevards in current 84/91 rights of way would handle local traffic
- Because of local traffic volumes, the urban boulevards would be more like expressways than something bike/pedestrian/new urbanism activists would prefer
- Price tag of up to $50 billion

PHLBOS

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 18, 2018, 08:06:58 AM
That's roughly twice the actual overall cost of of Boston's Big Dig.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

abqtraveler

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2018, 08:54:35 AM

I'm starting to think...would it make more sense from a cost and engineering perspective to reroute I-91 over the Charter Oak Bridge to a reconfigured interchange with I-84 and Route 2 in East Hartford?  North of that interchange a new bridge would have to be built over the Connecticut River to tie I-91 back into its existing alignment (probably between Exits 33 and 34).  I can't imagine that would be more expensive than tunneling a big interchange between two major interstates directly beneath downtown Hartford. 

2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

kurumi

Or a little over 3 years of gross tax revenue for the state: http://ctstatefinance.org/revenue
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

abqtraveler

Quote from: kurumi on September 18, 2018, 11:33:37 AM

Or a little over 3 years of gross tax revenue for the state: http://ctstatefinance.org/revenue

And that's exactly why there's not a snowball's chance in a blast furnace that such a plan plan will ever come to fruition.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ipeters61

Just Googled it and Connecticut's entire state budget is $31 billion.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

RobbieL2415

If Mr. Larson wants the tunnels to be for through traffic, he should be more concerned with new construction.  I would suggest implementing ConnDOT's plan to replace the viaduct (because unlike Larson, the people who work there are ACTUAL engineers) and also:

-Completing I-484
-Eliminating left exits
-That US 44 freeway to the NW.  That would definitely cut down on congestion in W Hartford and Avon and points NW
-Complete I-291 to said US 44 freeway.  Do what you have to do to save the environment.
-Freeway bypass for CT 4 as originally envisioned
-Build a new bridge just north of the Bulkley Bridge allowing three lanes (opposed to two) through downtown Hartford.  The Bulkley stays and is reverted to carry only US 44 as it did before I-84 was built.

You could probably do all that at a lower cost than two tunnels that won't do anything to add new volume.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 18, 2018, 09:04:16 PM
If Mr. Larson wants the tunnels to be for through traffic, he should be more concerned with new construction.  I would suggest implementing ConnDOT's plan to replace the viaduct (because unlike Larson, the people who work there are ACTUAL engineers) and also:

-Completing I-484
-Eliminating left exits
-That US 44 freeway to the NW.  That would definitely cut down on congestion in W Hartford and Avon and points NW
-Complete I-291 to said US 44 freeway.  Do what you have to do to save the environment.
-Build a new bridge just north of the Bulkley Bridge allowing three lanes (opposed to two) through downtown Hartford.  The Bulkley stays and is reverted to carry only US 44 as it did before I-84 was built.

You could probably do all that at a lower cost than two tunnels that won't do anything to add new volume.

Propose all that, and all the local NIMBYs will explode in a spontaneous nuclear detonation, rendering the area uninhabitable, and making Hartford traffic a moot concern.  :)

Mergingtraffic

Multi subject post here:

Since the logo service signs are paid for by businesses, will the DOT ever upgrade the older ones that are still button copy?  I noticed the rules for putting up logo service signs are much more stringent than the ATTRACTION signs.  Restrictions such as which exits are allowed to get them based on the proximity of other ramps, signage etc.  But the ATTRACTIONS signs restrictions seem to be a lot looser. 

Is that because tourism dollars are involved?  You'd think since logo service signs restrictions are in place for driver safety, so shouldn't the same be applied to the ATTRACTION signs?

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd the I-91 interchange with CT-15 went out to bid.  WOW!
https://biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Search/BidDetail.aspx?CID=47623
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

connroadgeek

I would like to see a real Hartford beltway. Start by completing the NW side by continuing I-291 westward through Bloomfield then turn it southward west of West Hartford to meet up with the CT-9 terminus at West Farms. Eventually, like after I'm long dead, I would extend the eastern end south of I-84 to CT-2 in Glastonbury. From there you can extend to CT-9 in Middletown or the CT-9/I-91 interchange in Cromwell. From the point where the new I-291 meets CT-9 on northward would become I-291 completing the full (albeit somewhat lopsided) circle around Hartford. You can do a tighter loop, but the south side would have to run through some pretty dense neighborhoods whereas further out there's not much of anything.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 13, 2018, 10:24:42 PM

SR-508 signage that wasn't replaced with the lagging I-84 sign project are being replaced, just that one gantry. I'm surprised the whole SR-508 wasn't involved with the I-84 signage contract.

There is the one overhead gantry westbound, plus 3 ground mounted signs.  The first is before the jughandle eastbound on route 4 for 4 east passing through the jughandle.  The second is the BGS facing Route 4 west at the end of SR 508 for I-84 (the shield is button copy).  The third is an advanced warning BGS just before the light telling the left 2 lanes are for 84 and the right is for 4 West.  What I would love to see is a sign on 4 West saying that the left left turn lane is for 84 East and the right left turn lane is for 84 West.  I passed through there yesterday and was amazed how many cars use the left left turn lane then cut over to the right to get to 84 West. It can be a traffic hazard, plus it's not often courteous.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 18, 2018, 10:41:00 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 18, 2018, 09:04:16 PM

-Completing I-484
-Eliminating left exits

Propose all that, and all the local NIMBYs will explode in a spontaneous nuclear detonation, rendering the area uninhabitable, and making Hartford traffic a moot concern.  :)
Well they need a dose of reality because all these things would ease congestion on secondary roads.

The Ghostbuster

None of the above will be done, not in a million years. In fact, I expect Interstate 84 will collapse before they come up with a reasonable plan to propose, design, fund and construct an Interstate 84 viaduct replacement (one that gets public opinion and NIMBYS approval).

abqtraveler

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 20, 2018, 04:03:05 PM
None of the above will be done, not in a million years. In fact, I expect Interstate 84 will collapse before they come up with a reasonable plan to propose, design, fund and construct an Interstate 84 viaduct replacement (one that gets public opinion and NIMBYS approval).

They'll just keep patching up the existing I-84 viaduct and milk it for as long as they can.  Eventually, I think you'll see it get to the point where the viaduct is condemned and closed, and I-84 through-traffic will be rerouted via either I-691 or Route 9 and 72, to I-91, and then over the Charter Oak Bridge.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 20, 2018, 05:07:54 PM

They'll just keep patching up the existing I-84 viaduct and milk it for as long as they can.  Eventually, I think you'll see it get to the point where the viaduct is condemned and closed, and I-84 through-traffic will be rerouted via either I-691 or Route 9 and 72, to I-91, and then over the Charter Oak Bridge.
True punishment.

Alps

I'll disagree with that. It is very possible to replace substructure one column at a time, and superstructure one panel at a time, and gradually replenish the entire structure in place. It's expensive and will be there for 20 years, but may be the only workable solution.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Alps on September 20, 2018, 08:49:27 PM
I'll disagree with that. It is very possible to replace substructure one column at a time, and superstructure one panel at a time, and gradually replenish the entire structure in place. It's expensive and will be there for 20 years, but may be the only workable solution.

Given how long Connecticut is taking to study, debate, argue over financing, re-study, ... I don't think it's wrong to wonder if ConnDOT will still be deciding what to do when the viaduct comes tumbling down on its own.

J N Winkler

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 20, 2018, 09:28:11 PMGiven how long Connecticut is taking to study, debate, argue over financing, re-study, ... I don't think it's wrong to wonder if ConnDOT will still be deciding what to do when the viaduct comes tumbling down on its own.

Pin and hanger construction--just like the infamous Mianus bridge.  One presumes they are not still using binoculars to inspect the assemblies, however.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

KEVIN_224

shadyjay

Wow... that building's toast.  Wonder if it'll get rebuilt or not.  Not too many buildings left at weigh stations throughout New England. 

In other news, I perused the I-91 Exit 29 relocation plans and found the signing plans.  Looks like signs in both directions will be replaced from the Route 3 overpass at Exit 25 up to just past Exit 29.  US 5 is being omitted from all Exit 28 and 29 signs northbound, except a mention of "US 5/CT 15 North/Charter Oak Bridge" where the current Exit 27-exit now gantry is.  APLs will be going in for Exit 29, including a 2 mile advance.  The arrows on the APL are angled up/left, instead of curved left. 

So you don't have to download all the plans, they're here (fair warning - large file):
https://biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bids/47623/sec_01.01-01.05_Plans.zip

Then open in the TRAFFIC.PDF.

What's interesting is the plans not only show the final sign placement, but intermediate stages of signs (ie - moving existing signs to new gantry during one phase, replacing the signs themselves in the next phase, etc).  Also interesting, not all signs on CT 15 North or South through the project limits are being replaced.  There will still be some button copy mixed in there.  And while the CT 15 SB final sign for the I-91 SB ramp is being replaced, the ones on the bridge itself are not.  So you'll have NY City posted on the bridge but no mention of it at the actual exit. 

connroadgeek

Quote from: shadyjay on September 21, 2018, 05:17:57 PM
Wow... that building's toast.  Wonder if it'll get rebuilt or not.  Not too many buildings left at weigh stations throughout New England. 

In other news, I perused the I-91 Exit 29 relocation plans and found the signing plans.  Looks like signs in both directions will be replaced from the Route 3 overpass at Exit 25 up to just past Exit 29.  US 5 is being omitted from all Exit 28 and 29 signs northbound, except a mention of "US 5/CT 15 North/Charter Oak Bridge" where the current Exit 27-exit now gantry is.  APLs will be going in for Exit 29, including a 2 mile advance.  The arrows on the APL are angled up/left, instead of curved left. 

So you don't have to download all the plans, they're here (fair warning - large file):
https://biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bids/47623/sec_01.01-01.05_Plans.zip

Then open in the TRAFFIC.PDF.

What's interesting is the plans not only show the final sign placement, but intermediate stages of signs (ie - moving existing signs to new gantry during one phase, replacing the signs themselves in the next phase, etc).  Also interesting, not all signs on CT 15 North or South through the project limits are being replaced.  There will still be some button copy mixed in there.  And while the CT 15 SB final sign for the I-91 SB ramp is being replaced, the ones on the bridge itself are not.  So you'll have NY City posted on the bridge but no mention of it at the actual exit. 

Local news says the building will not be replaced. They have a nice little building at the exit 3 weigh station on I-95 NB, plus it also has a little booth at the entrance to it.

RobbieL2415

Synopsis of the I-91 NB Exit 29 project for those that don't want to read:

--Exit 29 becomes a two-lane left exit. Basically, the NB approach from CT 15 for the COB will be shifted east to allow for a new NB approach for CT 15
-I-91 NB will be widened to four lanes starting at Exit 26
-Charter Oak Bridge will get one additional lane, so the outermost lane will be Exit 90 only, the three to the left will be CT 15 N.
-CT 15 N stay at three lanes till just after Exit 91.  The crossover for the Exit 90 on-ramp will still be there, just shifted over.
-Ramp improvements for I-91 S Exit 28
-MOST signs and sign mounts will get replaced.  One's that are not being replaced, for example, will be the overhead gantries actually on the COB. CT 2 NB's three bridge-mounted signs are also going to be replaces.

Ramp closures:
I-91 NB Exit 28
CT 15 SB Exit 86 (so no alt. route to I-91 S for a little while)
CT 15 SB Exit 87 (NIGHTLY only, use exit 86, CT 2 E to CT 3 S, or I-84 W to I-291 W to I-91 S)

Mergingtraffic

Noticed new foundations on CT-15 SB near the US-7 ramps for the new signing project that has started.  Also saw a pair of CT-7 signs at the bottom of the Exit 40B ramp SB.  How do they keep making these mistakes.  The signs look good though and are properly spaced and made though.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.