News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

3/22 Trip: Metro Madison to Laramie WY

Started by thspfc, March 30, 2019, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Our annual ski trip began with a long day of driving to Laramie, Wyoming where we stayed the first night. We left home at 5:05 AM Central time and arrived in Laramie at 6:05 PM Mountain time, for a drive time of 14 hours minus the hour we gained because of time zones. Notes from the trip . . .

-We got on I-39/90/94 S/EB from US-51.
-We took 39/90/94 to the Beltline, and exited at Verona Road (US-18/151). The Verona Road project that has been going nonstop for the past decade continues to move along at a very slow pace. The BGS'es are up at where interchanges will be (McKee Rd and Raymond Rd I think), but don't have words on them. It looks to be very nice once the entire thing is complete - you might be able to get from Sun Prairie to Verona in a reasonable time soon  :spin:
-The sun started to come up behind us around Mineral Point.
-That section of US-151 from about Platteville to the US-61 split in Iowa never gets old. The view of Dubuque in the early morning going across the bridge is amazing.
-We took US-151 towards Cedar Rapids. The stretch of lights through DBQ didn't cause any problems.
-Once in the Cedar Rapids area, we took the typical east and southern bypass of US-151 to US-30 to get to I-380. US-30 could use a resurfacing if nothing else in that area.
-IADOT is in the process of major construction at the I-80 and I-380 interchange in Coralville. I heard they're transforming the cloverleaf into a turbine because trucks kept overturning on the loop ramps.
-Construction is also taking place on I-35/80 through Des Moines. Are they working on smoothing out the slow curve at IA-141?
-The biggest construction in the midwest right now might be in Council Bluffs. There's a whole bunch of stuff going on at the I-29 and I-80 interchanges. Also, what's the "S Expressway"? There are BGS'es displaying that name in Council Bluffs.
-Electronic signs in Iowa read, "I-29 SOUTH CLOSED - USE I-35 SOUTH". Due to the Missouri River flooding. For traffic in Omaha/CB, it seems like really far to backtrack for flooding. Why not just use US-75 or US-59?
-There is also construction on the Nebraska side, at the I-80 and I-480/US-75 interchange south of downtown. I-80 WB went down to two lanes through there, which caused a minor bottleneck but no serious congestion.
-The designers of the Beltline should learn from NDOT. The Beltline and I-80 between I-480 and I-680 in metro Omaha are similar highways, but I-80 flows much better.
-The rest of I-80 in Nebraska is boring and doesn't ever end. The most interesting things are the frequent trains that chug along on your right. It was my first time taking it west of I-76, and that stretch is the most wide open Interstate I've ever driven. It really feels like the Wild West.
-Cheyenne, Wyoming was exactly like I expected it to be. Lots of trains, lots of dirty pickups, and a massive oil rig thing. It does have a Wal-Mart distribution center, though, which is impressive for a sleepy town in Wyoming.
-It started snowing about 5 minutes out of Cheyenne. We were shocked because the thermometer had read 61 in Nebraska, so we didn't bother to check the weather.
-I-80 just east of Laramie hits a peak elevation of 8,640 feet, I believe the highest on the Interstate system outside of Colorado. What's remarkable is that I-80 climbs 7,000 feet from the Missouri River (elev. 1,000 ft) to this summit without any mountain passes, really.
-We stayed in the Hampton Inn off of BUS-80 in Laramie. Laramie seems like a nice college town. They're probably disappointed in Josh Allen though.

Verlanka

Quote from: thspfc on March 30, 2019, 02:37:54 PM
-Electronic signs in Iowa read, "I-29 SOUTH CLOSED - USE I-35 SOUTH". Due to the Missouri River flooding. For traffic in Omaha/CB, it seems like really far to backtrack for flooding. Why not just use US-75 or US-59?

Probably to keep most people from checking out the floodwaters of the Missouri. :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.