News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New England coastal towns

Started by carpenters nail, May 06, 2019, 07:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carpenters nail

I am about to embark on a trip that will include the New England coastline,( or, at least an amount of it). My wife really wants to see a picturesque harbor village. You know, the kind you find in the movies, with the vari-colored houses ( shops) all along the seafront. Especially nice, would be one that has an old sailing ship docked close by. The problem I am having, is that I can't seem to find what she is looking for, on line. I have found a lot of really nice looking towns, but not movie set towns.
   Does anyone out there have any suggestions? All will be greatly appreciated.

ipeters61

The first town that comes to mind for me is Rockland Maine.  My grandparents took me when I was a kid (they lived in Vinalhaven back in the 1970s).  Not sure if it's what you're looking for though.  Another town to consider is Camden Maine.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Avalanchez71

You mean like Amity Island?  Just watch out for the sharks in the water.

Dougtone

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 07, 2019, 03:30:24 PM
The first town that comes to mind for me is Rockland Maine.  My grandparents took me when I was a kid (they lived in Vinalhaven back in the 1970s).  Not sure if it's what you're looking for though.  Another town to consider is Camden Maine.

Camden is a good choice. I'll also mention Boothbay Harbor.

jon daly

It is slightly upriver from Long Island Sound, but Mystic CT has the Seaport Museum and a shopping area around the bascule bridge. Nearby Noank is also nice, as is Stonington Borough.

RobbieL2415

My suggestions:
RI: Westerly, Narragansett, Newport
MA: Provincetown, Chatham, Plymouth, Scituate, Hull, Salem, Gloucester, Newberryport
NH: Portsmouth

OracleUsr

Bailey Island, ME, is a must see.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

jon daly

My wife and I were just in Portsmouth. It was neat but I don't think it is a town that fits carpenter nails description. There was a ship in the harbor but it was a freighter laden with windmill parts; giant steel tubes, to be precise. The buildings near the waterfront are mainly brick and probably from the Industrial Revolution era.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.