News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Using a different time zone when Scholaring

Started by bandit957, May 20, 2019, 04:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Does anyone else use a different time zone when they partake in Roads Scholaring?

During Daylight Saving Time, I split the difference and use Standard Time. That's because it's much closer to our local natural time. If it's noon EDT, I act as if it's 11 AM.

A fair warning: This won't work in most workplaces. I worked at the local library and other establishments for years. If I showed up at 9 AM EDT and then declared it was 8 AM and sat around loafing and chewing bubble gum for an hour, they wouldn't appreciate it too much. But it works when I Scholar, because I base it around nature.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

When I did my trip back from Florida, when passing through Memphis I still did everything according to Eastern time even though Memphis is in Central.

I dare anyone on this thread to come up with an example that beats taht time CGP Grey tried to avoid jet lag when going to Vegas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-mHLBD64HM
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

I try to stay on my natural time (Eastern) if traveling to the Central time zone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

I switch time zones to wherever I am at, since places close at their times, not mine (e.g., attractions, National Park Service visitor centers, museums, etc.).  Seeing places in addition to clinching counties or roads helps with making my family happy on trips. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CNGL-Leudimin

It is known I use a different time zone to mine for the purposes of this forum. I've grown tired of keeping track of where Big Rig Steve is at the moment so I've switched back to Eastern (or more precisely, "6 hours behind my actual time", i.e. Eastern with Euro DST rules, waiting until the last Sunday of March to move forward and going back already on the last Sunday of October). Thus my time now for the purposes of this forum is 5:57 p.m. I still keep a clock set to Steve's time, which as of this post is set to Pacific time.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

Quote from: vdeane on May 20, 2019, 05:34:38 PMI dare anyone on this thread to come up with an example that beats taht time CGP Grey tried to avoid jet lag when going to Vegas.
Vegas is easy though - especially on your own - everything's 24 hours and inside they seek to confuse you about the day/night cycle.

When I was 17, I spent two weeks in Florida, then returned to England for about 10 days (with nothing to do during those days) before going out to California. I tried to stay on US time and gradually move across from 5-hours out of sync with local time when landing in the UK to 8-hours out of sync when taking off again (so I'd go from being in-sync to in-sync when west of the Atlantic without any recalibration, gently shifting by about 20 minutes a day rather than jerk 5 hours one way then 8 hours the other) - that way I'm not only not jetlagged, but I'm also not tired the evening we arrive and so can go and eat dinner at 3am UK time/7pm CA time. Drove my mum mad, despite me explaining the plan repeatedly, and after a week she was actively and aggressively waking me 10am UK time (so 3-4am my time), then the next day 9am (3-4am my time - I'd moved back an hour due to insufficient sleep the day before), then the penultimate day 8am (ditto). My point, that she was having none of, that I was trying to moving to the point of going to sleep at 8am, so leaving the house at 8 for a midday flight just meant staying up late before having a 4 hour sleep on the plane from 4am-8am in the time zone I was going to, rather than her plan of dragging my clock across to the western-Atlantic so I need to wake up at what was basically 4am my time, having not had a decent night's sleep as it was the fourth night in a row that I'd been aggressively woken up way too early, and then have to spend the day awake on solar time (she made sure she was sat next to me on the plane and kept poking me awake), before falling asleep 6am UK time (OK, 2am my mid-Atlantic time isn't that bad, until you realise it was after 22 hours of awakeness and less than 4 hours sleep the days before) - I then got told off for nearly falling asleep at dinner, despite her having been nearly falling asleep repeatedly since about an hour after we landed (ie about midnight UK time).

Actually, planes tend to do this "what time it is where you are coming from is more important than where you are going" nonsense. My last plane journey was a red-eye from LAX to LHR that left LAX at about 9:30pm PDT. Dinner was served 10:30pm PDT / 6:30am BST and, while I'm no Florida retiree wanting dinner to be done by 5:30, this felt like we were moving times zones to the west, not the east! Making it night time at 11:30pm LA time for about 7 hours is acceptable until you realise that's 7:30am destination time that 'night' is starting. I eventually lost my fight against sleep about 3am PDT/11am BST - I'm a night owl as it is, but eating keeps me awake for quite a while afterwards, which got me to 2 easily, but the dull choice of films couldn't sustain me through the blackout - getting a totally unhelpful (I function, at least for a few hours, better on no sleep than not enough) 3 hours before they turned all the lights back on at 6:30am PDT/2:30pm BST to serve a light meal before landing at about 3:30pm BST. I was too tired to do a massive rant about how it made absolutely no sense to serve a big meal that late, and keep the plane under 'night' conditions until afternoon destination time. It would have been better to board, go to night about half an hour after take off, serving a breakfast 7 and a bit hours later, and then the big meal for a late lunch at the time we got our light meal. OK, still 6am-1pm nighttime, but that's better than what we had!

jon daly

Most of my Roads Scholaring is done with maps and, lately, old newspapers. It's done in my house. That said, I don't recall the last time I left the Eastern Time Zone. I'm not near any other one like the Central or Atlantic.

I think the last time was in the summer of '07 when I went to a SABR Convention in Saint Louis by way of Chicago. Knocked out a good portion of I-55 on that trip.

ErmineNotyours

Not exactly a road trip, but on the weekend of my Seattle to Maui vacation, one of the last episodes of Pushing Daisies was supposed to air, but KOMO preempted it for a telethon.  The next time I had a chance to watch it, on Hulu, was the first night of the vacation, so I stayed up past dark in Maui so I could see it.  Then sleep a few hours and woke up early to see the sunrise at Haleakala.  I was still unable to sleep in the next morning so I sat on a sandy beach before sunrise listening to a podcast from back home of Dave Ross, who was talking about his recent Lanai vacation.  Strange.

Also not exactly a road trip, but I was on a swing shift job when I got a chance to go to an adult summer camp around Labor Day.  I instantly went back to a normal schedule with early wakeups for breakfast and late nights by the fire.  Then on the third day, Sunday, I crashed.  I pealed myself out of bed for breakfast, then went back to bed, and up for lunch.  It was strange eating lunch groggy as if it were breakfast.  Went home and did my laundry, falling asleep between cycles.  Then I was back on the swing shift schedule as if nothing had happened.

ce929wax

I don't do this for road trips, I use whatever time it is where I'm at.  My home brew fantasy sports that I do, however, I start the game around whatever time the city I am playing in is relative to Eastern Time, so if I have a game in California that day I start the game in the 10 p.m. hour.

jon daly

Quote from: ce929wax on May 23, 2019, 11:36:46 PM
I don't do this for road trips, I use whatever time it is where I'm at.  My home brew fantasy sports that I do, however, I start the game around whatever time the city I am playing in is relative to Eastern Time, so if I have a game in California that day I start the game in the 10 p.m. hour.

Home brew sports? I'm intrigued. I am thinking about getting into Stratomatic or a similar tabletop game.

ce929wax

Quote from: jon daly on May 24, 2019, 06:07:38 AM
Home brew sports? I'm intrigued. I am thinking about getting into Stratomatic or a similar tabletop game.

If you want, I'll send you a PM later and explain what I do.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't understand this thread? Timworld?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

When I go on road trips, I like to set my clock to Nepal Standard Time (UTC+05:45). It makes things interesting.

SEWIGuy

I was on a business trip driving from Wisconsin (Central Time) to Nashville (Central Time).  In between, I had an appointment in Indiana (Eastern Time) that I was 50 minutes late for because I screwed up the time zones.

Duke87

It's happened more than once where I've begun and ended the day in the same time zone but entered another at some point in the middle. In these types of cases it's easy to just ignore the two time zone changes for scheduling purposes.

Using a different time zone long term, however, is not something I have ever really found to be workable.
I do love flying to the west coast and finding myself wide awake at 6 AM, it's great for hitting the road early and being productive with the day. But, even when I successfully keep this up for the duration of the trip, I can't then just go home and seemlessly go back to waking up at 9 AM like I normally do. I find myself still feeling jetlagged in spite of nominally not having lost any sleep, because my body still notices that suddenly the sun is rising and setting 3 hours earlier than it expects, and starts fighting my desire to not shift my schedule to match.
Mind you, this is form of jetlag is not as bad as getting used to Pacific time and then actually losing 3 hours of sleep, but it's still noticeable.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

clong

Quote from: Duke87 on June 20, 2019, 09:02:19 PM
It's happened more than once where I've begun and ended the day in the same time zone but entered another at some point in the middle. In these types of cases it's easy to just ignore the two time zone changes for scheduling purposes.

Using a different time zone long term, however, is not something I have ever really found to be workable.

If I'm only going to be in the time zone for a day or a portion of a day, I'll normalize all the business operating hours, appointments, etc. to my time zone. If I'm going to be in the time zone for multiple days, I change my time to the time zone I'm in.

I have several relatives that live on the Central side of the the Central/Eastern time zone boundary, but work on the Eastern side. They operate on Eastern time (referred to as "fast time") and refer to everyone on Central time as "slow time". All events in their town/area are announced with a "fast time" or "slow time" start time, but there have been several instances where someone has shown up an hour early or an hour late.

Roadgeekteen

I've only left my timezone 3 times in my life (soon to be 4). I use local time because using my home time would mess up everything.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.